Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran
 
mbrou24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 214

Cars Land is a go????

http://micechat.com/21154-hello/

At least according to micechat it is. Very interesting, could wdw finally be waking up from their long slumber? We will see
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer
 
disneyworld1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 988 miles away from WDW (TOO FAR!)
Posts: 391

Again, I don't like the Cars Land deal at DHS. It doesn't seem right to make a duplicate at WDW.

Please Disney....expand Pixar Place and add a Cars attraction, don't make a copy of Cars Land.

And Star Wars would be great!
__________________
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer
 
disneyworld1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 988 miles away from WDW (TOO FAR!)
Posts: 391

Can we start a petition to not copy CarsLand? Who is with me?
__________________
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran
 
mbrou24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworld1977
Again, I don't like the Cars Land deal at DHS. It doesn't seem right to make a duplicate at WDW.

Please Disney....expand Pixar Place and add a Cars attraction, don't make a copy of Cars Land.

And Star Wars would be great!
Agreed. But if the article is right, then adding Star Wars land would take a lot more time to develop ideas and plans etc. seems like Disney is looking for a quick attention grab with this
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
coloneldebugger
Mouseketeer
 
coloneldebugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
Agreed. But if the article is right, then adding Star Wars land would take a lot more time to develop ideas and plans etc. seems like Disney is looking for a quick attention grab with this
If they want something quick then develop a Pixar Place where they can add smaller rides and attractions that would be easier to change out as the interest in a movie fades. Afterall, isn't Cars one of the generally least well received Pixar films?
coloneldebugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place
 
bom_noite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrou24 View Post
Agreed. But if the article is right, then adding Star Wars land would take a lot more time to develop ideas and plans etc. seems like Disney is looking for a quick attention grab with this
The Key thing I took from the article:
Quote:
But over the Christmas break a fire was lit under a few key Burbank executives when it was realized WDWs New Fantasyland project wasnt pulling in the numbers or customer satisfaction ratings that had been hoped for.

If this is true, I would think any logical executive would be more inclined to look for something safe. Carsland = Safe.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by bom_noite View Post
The Key thing I took from the article:

If this is true, I would think any logical executive would be more inclined to look for something safe. Carsland = Safe.
Or...."400 million bucks thrown into the swamp and no more green in my pocket because of it...they keep coming anyway - screw em, no more money for that place"

Two sides to that take.

This whole "carsland in mgm" thing is 80% wishful thinking, 20% possibility...maybe even less.
It's kinda a fanboy type reaction: "Disneyland got it...We must be getting it!"

It could happen, but the circumstances of the problems with california adventure brought the cars addition about...nothing else. DL customers were smart enough to boycott the park in large numbers and cause a real problem for TWDC on multiple levels...mainly "money" and "clout". The fact it was in anaheim was a sting too.

WDW has never had anything like that...people never rise up or withhold the business, and there are always others to fill in the small gaps.

Maybe they'll build this thing...and maybe they're ticked about numbers at magic kingdom...but one isnt' big enough to move the boulder on the other.

Remember: that most of the US and developed world still has "recovered" from the economic shenanigans of the last 10 years. Sure, the uber rich have recovered on phony stock and commodity prices...but the little/middle guy - the ones who spend their bucks to travel and still make up the huge lions share of the disney clientele - have been decimated and/or set back years relative to the dollar.

Maybe THAT's why they didn't max out the Magic Kingdom every day in December?
Huh, geniuses?

And to other posters points...yeah, Cars is a very Bad pixar franchise that sells junk to the lowest common denominator.
Of course Up and Ratatuoille and Wall-E aren't as profitable...but they were better movies x10. At least for the sequel...the first Cars was pretty good...second atrocious.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,971

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworld1977 View Post
Can we start a petition to not copy CarsLand? Who is with me?
In!
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place
 
bom_noite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Or...."400 million bucks thrown into the swamp and no more green in my pocket because of it...they keep coming anyway - screw em, no more money for that place"
I had to read this a few times Locked, but, I hear what you are saying. Random thoughts:
  • We usually buy 10 Day PH's with no exp. Last's us 3, maybe 4 years. Was shocked when I bought one last year and the price had doubled.
  • I looked the other day out of curiosity. WDW Resort rates increase 4 to 6% a year (depending upon property).
  • 2013 Dining Plans increased upwards of 19.5% on one plan, and, an average increase of about 12%.
  • Universal and Sea World are always working on new cool additions. WDW attendance outpaces U/IOA almost 4 to 1 and SW 10 to 1.

Management stumbles around all day wondering why attendance is stagnant?

I am a DVC member, and, do see at times how DVC is a detriment: They know they have a guaranteed number of guests each year. Thus, innovation and expansion is not as important.

If you wan't more guests there are two clear strategy's:

1) Lower your prices.
2) Innovate and expand. Give people a reason to wan't to come.

Clearly, they have not embarked on strategy 1.

They have barely scratched strategy 2: Everest 2003, Soarin' 2005, Fantasyland 2012ish. What have I missed?


Quote:
This whole "carsland in mgm" thing is 80% wishful thinking, 20% possibility...maybe even less.
It's kinda a fanboy type reaction: "Disneyland got it...We must be getting it!"
Here is where you and I disagree. I stand by my theory that Carsland will happen:

1) The rumors are too numerous and too frequent not to believe they will do something at the studio's.
2) I am a long-time Lutz follower. He has fantastic sources and is right 90% of the time. He usually is only wrong when
internal politics cause a sudden last minute twist.
3) The guy who brought the world Carsland in Anaheim just took over as the WDW President.
4) Carland provided an immediate and lasting attendance boost in Cali.
5) They built it once, is cheaper to build it a 2nd time.
6) They built something new at the MK - it didn't give them the results they wanted. Why would any job-loving exec say: "Let's build something new and risk my very lucrative salary, bonus and stock options!"

Fanboy??????? Please, argue the logic I have presented above.

Last edited by bom_noite; 02-07-2013 at 12:35 PM.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer
 
ChipnDale79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
This whole "carsland in mgm" thing is 80% wishful thinking, 20% possibility...maybe even less.
It's kinda a fanboy type reaction: "Disneyland got it...We must be getting it!
We get it, you don't want Carsland. But to be honest with you, I think you're numbers are off. If you want my opinion I would say that its more like 20% wishful thinking and 80% possibility.

There are too many rumors and shifting of personal to really say this thing is 80% wishful thinking.

Why would the project manager in charge of Carsland be reassigned to WDW? Why would the President of DLR shift roles as President of WDW? Why are numerous people hearing the same thing from different sources that carsland is a very real possiblity at WDW?

It's a good thing that you don't run the show at WDW, if you did, then nothing would ever get built. WDW has to stay fresh, they can not get stale.

I don't like the comment about "fanboy", just because someone thinks differently than you, then you call them a "fanboy"?
ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
Breyean
OKW - 1993 & VCG - 2011
 
Breyean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 944

As someone who frequents DLR a lot more that WDW, I hope if the build RSR in WDW they correct the issue with the frequent down times. Rain seems to be a big reason cited for bringing RSR to a halt frequently. If this is true in SoCal I can only imagine what a disaster that could be in Fl.
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place
 
bom_noite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
I don't like the comment about "fanboy", just because someone thinks differently than you, then you call them a "fanboy"?
Always better served to tackle a question with logic rather then gut reaction. I agree with your logic.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place
 
bom_noite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post
As someone who frequents DLR a lot more that WDW, I hope if the build RSR in WDW they correct the issue with the frequent down times. Rain seems to be a big reason cited for bringing RSR to a halt frequently. If this is true in SoCal I can only imagine what a disaster that could be in Fl.
After reading over 200 posts on the subject, that is the best point against I have yet heard.

I would think rain inhibits the attractions they are replacing though. Also, Test Track runs outside on a similar track at much higher rates of speed. Of course, it breaks down daily!
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran
 
luckyman_apd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post
As someone who frequents DLR a lot more that WDW, I hope if the build RSR in WDW they correct the issue with the frequent down times. Rain seems to be a big reason cited for bringing RSR to a halt frequently. If this is true in SoCal I can only imagine what a disaster that could be in Fl.
After visiting Carsland and DLR last year, I LOVED it. But it did break down on me......after waiting 2 hours for it! thankfully it wasn't down too long before it opened again. The rain thing.....that is a big concern. Not sure how to counter that in FL. That is one thing I noticed out in Cali is the ride queues. The theming is outstanding in DLR compared to WDW because the lines are mostly outside, compared to WDW where the frequent rain keeps the lines inside.

Also, RSR takes up a big chunk of Carsland. I would be OK with just RSR if they brought it to Florida, but it is cool to be on Rt 66. Cars was actually a VERY profitable movie for Disney....It's the sequel that was not well received. But the merchandising as been a huge cash crop for them still.
__________________
Coronado Apr 2009, BLT Feb 2011, SSR June 2011, DLR June 2012, BLT Nov 2012, OKW Mar 2013, SSR Aug 2013, BLT Dec 2013
Me DW DD(8) DS(4)
luckyman_apd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
skier_pete
DIS Veteran
 
skier_pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 5,256

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneldebugger View Post
Afterall, isn't Cars one of the generally least well received Pixar films?
This is irrelevant. The popularity amongst kids is huge. But more important to a parks-fan, Carsland is a really fantastic and immersive land. My arugment in favor of Avatarland has always been, "the quality of the original movie is not important, it's the quality of what gets produced in the themepark that matters."

We were lucky enough to be able to check it out in California. It certainly would be a huge hit in Florida. And RSR is in my view the best new theme park attraction Disney has produced in at least 15 years. I don't think it would be a terrible thing for them to bring it to Florida. A lot better than duplicating something as "C" level as The Little Mermaid.
__________________

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR IN PROGRESS!!
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.