Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
crabbygal902
after a lapu lapu, I'm not so crabby anymore

Quick & Dirty review of La Hacienda

We went to La Hacienda for dinner on our most recent trip to the World during Thanksgiving week. I am just now coming out of my post Disney trip depression to finally write this review. This is how I'm feeling now that we have another trip planned for next January!

We love Mexican food but went into the restaurant with low expectations. The reviews I had been reading before our trip were okay at best.

What we liked:

The staff was very friendly and efficient. We were seated for our ADR right on time, and we were there with huge Thanksgiving crowds. The waiter was pleasant and quick as well.

The view was stunning. It would've been a wonderful place to watch Illuminations, but we were headed over to DHS for Osbourne Lights that evening.

The restaurant decor was comfortable and inviting. I don't remember anything jumping out at me, just an overall impression of "this is nice, but not fancy." A perfect place for me and my DH to have dinner and bring the kids along.

The chips were light, crispy, and salty. The salsa had a smoky, chipotle flavor to it. Mmmmm...

My DH and I devoured the Parrillada del Mar. The fish was spicy and flavorful. I told the waiter that we liked spicy food, and there were several grilled whole peppers on the platter. Delicious. The best thing on the platter was the esquites. Oh. my. Gosh. That must be what corn in heaven tastes like. Please don't tell my husband that it was made with either mayo or sour cream; I'm not sure how he missed that and he hates both those things. The rice was fantastic, too...but I am impressed with good Mexican rice. Mine never comes out right at home.

My DS12 had the pork tenderloin...I think. It was completely gone within 3 minutes of being put on the table in front of him. My son was eating so fast he almost choked! It was scary for a minute, for real. After he calmed down, slowed down, and finished his own food, he kept sneaking bites of our fish platter. Not sure I actually got one of the scallops, the little sneak.

What we didn't like:

The avocado margarita was extremely sweet and there was no avocado flavor at all. The salt on the glass was pretty and yummy, though. It was a nice balance of the super sweet margarita and the green and red colors were gorgeous together. The margarita was very creamy...wait a minute...did I turn this into a "like"? Okay, how about this...I would've liked it more if the drink hadn't been so sweet and more avocado-ish.

and the "eh"
My DS7 had the chicken tacos, I think. Not bad, not great. Eh.

Are we going to go back? oh YES! we are. It is my favorite in the Epcot area and we have tried almost all of the table service restaurants over there.

Last edited by crabbygal902; 01-16-2013 at 10:11 AM.
crabbygal902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
DisneyMamato4
Disney Obsessed!

We had La Hacienda a couple of weeks ago, hands down one of our favorite meals of the trip!
We also had the Del Mar and it was fantastic!!! The fish and scallops were to die for and the shrimp were huge. I LOVED the corn and all of the veggies and the rice. I wish I could have it again right now.
It's a must do for us from now on too!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
autumnpalm
Hates dark rooms, is a big rule follower, & loves repitition
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a host on The Shopping Channel
I have a secret feeling that butterflies are sinister creatures

So glad to read this! The Del Mar platter looks SO good we have La Hacienda booked for our upcoming trip but reviews have been kind of all over the place.

Keeping it booked for dinner now, thank you for your review! Hope we love it as much as you guys!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran

Thank you for this review!

Based on this, I'm going to book an ADR there. The seafood dish would be right up my alley!

A house without a dog is just a shelter.
Wag more; bark less[
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

We loved La Hacienda when we tried it in summer 2011, and we were lucky that we had a great view of IllumiNations (we had planned to finish dinner before the fireworks, but it didn't work out that way).

I'm surprised that lately I have seen a few reviews of the avacodo margarita describing it as "too sweet." It is one of my favorite drinks, I have had several, and I wouldn't even describe the ones I've had as "sweet," much less "too sweet." I think there must be a new bartender who is making them wrong. Mine have been creamy and refreshing with a slightly melon-like flavor (which imparts a slightly sweet undertone). I agree that you can't taste avocado. You can feel it more than taste it.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

I think we will try this restaurant too.(I love fish)..we have been to the dark dungeon and besides not being able to see our food...(scary) the taste was not there..
Thanks for your review

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: