Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
wheels on fire
Mouseketeer

wheelchair taxi/getting to walmart

Were staying on site and for various reasons car hire not possible.And other than one trip shop and seaworld were only doing Disney

anyone know nearest Walmart type shop to WDW ,please and rough idea of taxi costs or could we bus one way and taxi home.were thinking on first night so approximate 7pm

then seaworld be for open time and not sure pickup yet

also who is best to use need get one powerchair and then 4 more seats needed 9 1 extra adult and 3 children

Thank you
wheels on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

The taxi company which works closely with Disney is Mears. I know they have over 20 accessible cabs. I would suggest calling their dispatch office at 407-422-2222 to discuss your options.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
wheels on fire
Mouseketeer

thank you
wheels on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Given your nick, I'll assume you'll be the one using the powerchair. If so and you happen to have more requirements when it comes to accessibility and/or health, take out some time to make sure you know your options before the trip.

For instance, I was kinda shocked to learn that while there are enough accessible options I could use just based on using my powerchair, there were zero options because of the fact that my health causes me to be unable to deal with the types of accessing the taxi they could offer. Oops. Glad I took the time to find out beforehand and plan accordingly. Luckily I'm an exception, but it did take me as un unexpected surprise coming from an unaccessible country but with >95% of accessible taxis that I can deal with coming to Florida, which in general is SO much better accessible in public life then I'm used to back home. A few CM's decided to somehow want to recheck again but came up with the same result; zero. Well....... there was one option where the exception of accessible transport provided by WDW was offered, but my powerchair also is much higher than average due to some extra's on it and was too heigh to fit that option.

So I simply keep to sticking to using Lynx combined with my powerchair or use a regular taxi and transfer out of my manual chair, take that along and make my arrangements to somehow make do(able) where ever I need to go. When staying at a resort with multiple buildings like for instance SSR, I'ld simply call "front desk" and ask for a taxi to be sent to the building I was staying in. Most of the times would get the auto-reply "they are at the main building, you can go there", but after explaining why preffering one at building I was staying in, one would be sent over and be there within 5-10 minutes after making the call.

As far as Walmart goes; depends on what you are looking for. There are some superwalmarts close enough by. Simply use the search engine here, enough topics about it on the DIS. I've been going to supertarget though since a couple of years, suits me more. Been going there from BWV, SSR and AKL and incl. tipping always came to $18/20,- one way. Walmart was a couple of dollars more if I remember correctly but such a small difference it's very close (gone there from SSR, CBR and DTD -> latter; followed tips on here stating it would be much cheaper. Grin, never again. That was the same price or a bit higher than any other one way I've done from forementioned resorts).
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

Beyond greatfull for so many WDW trips, dear friendship and even a dlrp wish trip in october 2014 to close the Disney chapter. Lifes come and go, memories last for ever.
goofieslonglostsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: