Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
JackieO
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 142

Disney Visa 0% question

On another thread someone mentioned calling Disney before the cruise to charge expected expenses as an OBC and getting 0% interest on their visa. I'm confused and not even sure if I know how best to phrase my question. See if this makes sense:

I charged my whole cruise at one time on my Disney Visa. I am getting that interest free for 6 months already. If I charge other Disney things now will they be interest free too? If that's the case, do I have to buy an OBC or can I just pay off what we owe at the end of the cruise with the card to get the benefit?
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Only qualified vacation purchases get the 6 months free interest. If you just charge something on your card, you do not get it, so if you just charge on board, you will have to pay that within your regular 25 day grace period.

How they are getting the 6 month special is that the OBC is booked and coded as a vacation. That's the only way to get it for free.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
JackieO
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Only qualified vacation purchases get the 6 months free interest. If you just charge something on your card, you do not get it, so if you just charge on board, you will have to pay that within your regular 25 day grace period.

How they are getting the 6 month special is that the OBC is booked and coded as a vacation. That's the only way to get it for free.

Nancy
Thanks so much. This is very useful information!
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
sdjen
DIS Veteran
 
sdjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 793

Yes, if you do it ahead of time as an OBC, it counts as a "vacation" purchase and is eligible for the 6 months no interest. If you use your Disney Visa as the card when you get on the ship to pay for your on board charges, it does NOT apply.

I cannot 100% guarantee this will still work today. But, I did go back and confirm on my Visa statements and it did work that way for our Feb 2011 and 2012 cruises.
__________________
sdjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
DVCisME
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen View Post
Yes, if you do it ahead of time as an OBC, it counts as a "vacation" purchase and is eligible for the 6 months no interest. If you use your Disney Visa as the card when you get on the ship to pay for your on board charges, it does NOT apply.

I cannot 100% guarantee this will still work today. But, I did go back and confirm on my Visa statements and it did work that way for our Feb 2011 and 2012 cruises.
What if you prepay more? Does that money get credited back?

Last edited by DVCisME; 01-18-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Typo
DVCisME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
sdjen
DIS Veteran
 
sdjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCisME View Post
What if you prepay more? Does that money get credited back?
I dont know the answer to that - maybe someone else will? Sorry - I always go over
__________________
sdjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
KristiMc
DIS Veteran
 
KristiMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Posts: 3,258

If you purchase OBC before the cruise and do not spend it all, it will be credited back to your card.
__________________
me DH DS13 DS10
2000:Dixie Landings/Disney Wonder 2006:WL 2008:POFQ 2010:BLT 2011:Disney Magic 2012:Disney Magic 2013:AKV 2013:Disney Fantasy 2014:HHI/Disney Dream
KristiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
3princessMommy
DIS Veteran
 
3princessMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NoVA
Posts: 1,602

We pre-pay our tips and we pre-pay our OBC (to cover booked excursions and an estimated expense amount). These are done through our travel agent, but you can do them directly with DCL. They are charged as vacation and do qualify for 6 months interest free. Your transfers do not and if you wait and pay with your Visa at the end of the cruise, they do not qualify for the interest-free promotion.
__________________

DHMe DD13 DD11 DD8 Nala Sasha Patches
1976:WDW OS; 1986:WDW OS; 1993:WDW CR; 2007:DLP NBC; 2008:WDW SOG; DCL Wonder DD; 2009:WDW SOG; DCL Magic Tortola; 2010:DCL Magic Baltic; DCL Magic Xmas; 2011:DCL Wonder Alaska; WDW AK; 2012: WDW BLT & DCL Fantasy Western; 2013: WDW BCV & B2B DCL Dream; 2014: Magic Barcelona to Venice Repo Planned: 2015: Fantasy Eastern; Magic Iceland Cruise
3princessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,697

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princessMommy View Post
We pre-pay our tips and we pre-pay our OBC (to cover booked excursions and an estimated expense amount). These are done through our travel agent, but you can do them directly with DCL. They are charged as vacation and do qualify for 6 months interest free. Your transfers do not and if you wait and pay with your Visa at the end of the cruise, they do not qualify for the interest-free promotion.
If you book transfers before your final payment due date, then put it all on your Disney visa, do they separate out the transfer charges?
I usually add transfers a few weeks prior to sailing so that I don't have to pay that also along with the final payment. (Why should I have to pay for my transfers so I can book Palo? Right?)
I'll have to go back and look at my statements from our Nov cruise. I know for sure tips & prepaid OBC qualify. I love that 6 mos deal.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,697

I just looked at my statement from booking transfers for our Nov cruise in mid Oct. It was $280 for 4 of us and it did qualify. Then again, I've never booked transfers while on the ship. Maybe that's the difference.


Also keep in mind the $101 minimum when booking dummy dates. Sometimes we choose a cruise that's so cheap, even for 2 of us the deposit is less than $100. Somehow last cruise I thought the min was $100 so I told the agent I wanted to put down a little extra. I almost told him $110 to be on the safe side but didn't want to change it at that point. Figures I missed the 0%. Oh well, it's not a huge amount but still, when holding onto a cruise for possibly a few years, I don't mind waiting as long as possible to hand over the $$.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran
 
su_A_ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,051

Note the following - any credit you get on your card (for example, a return on a regular purchase) will lower the promotional balance. This is important if you pay your balance in full but want to take advantage of the 0% promotion. For example:

3000 vacation, 1000 regular charges.
You make a return and get 100 credit.
CC statement will show total due 3900. But promotional balance will be 2900 instead of 3000.
Therefore, if you pay only 900, you will incur interest charges.
Payment = Statement balance - promotional balance
__________________
'77, '84, '94, '00 (SWW) - Off site
'01 (BC), '03 (ASMu), '05 (BC), '06 (YC), '08 (YC), '08 (CSR Xmas),
'09 (CSR), '10 (BC), '10 (CSR Xmas), '11 (BC), '11 (CSR), '12 (5n Dream DD),
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,697

I only use it for Disney or DCL vacations. I don't want to confuse things.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran
 
I❤MICKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve
Note the following - any credit you get on your card (for example, a return on a regular purchase) will lower the promotional balance. This is important if you pay your balance in full but want to take advantage of the 0% promotion. For example:

3000 vacation, 1000 regular charges.
You make a return and get 100 credit.
CC statement will show total due 3900. But promotional balance will be 2900 instead of 3000.
Therefore, if you pay only 900, you will incur interest charges.
Payment = Statement balance - promotional balance
I do not believe this is correct. CARD Act changes how cc companies can charge interest. Any payment or credit above the minimum monthly payment due is credited to the highest APR balance.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
JackieO
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 142

FYI don't call too close to your cruise date to try and pay for your OBC with your Disney Visa. I just called to do this and was told it was too late (our cruise is in 3 days). Thanks to Disney's AWESOME customer service she did allow me to do it, but I would advise you not to wait as long as I did!
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
I do not believe this is correct. CARD Act changes how cc companies can charge interest. Any payment or credit above the minimum monthly payment due is credited to the highest APR balance.
Except that both balances have the same APR. The vacation APR is actually 18% or whatever the card is, it is just waived if you pay it off within the dates listed. If the monthly charges are less than the vacation balance, the vacation balance is the 'bigger' balance and will be reduced first.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.