Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
blossombrd
Mouseketeer

Chef Mickey 1st night?

How is Chef Mickey's for dinner? DH and I have never been there on our adult trips and are thinking about going there on the first night because we will have DGS7 (his 1st disney trip). Any good experiences there for dinner? I have read a little about the food not being so good for dinner. Is it really that bad? It seems like a good use of a table service credit since we will only have the dining plan for the first 4 nights of our 8 night stay. I'm trying to get the most bang for our buck out of the dining plan.

We won't arrive at All Star Sports until about 3 pm, so won't have much time for a park, and I figure it would be a good way to meet the characters and get our autographs so we don't have to spend time waiting in line later.
blossombrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

CM's is all about the characters. The food is secondary. Its not wonderful but its really not bad either. The two of you won't have a problem finding something good to eat. Your DGS will enjoy both the characters and the typical kids foods available.
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
icc2515
Mouseketeer

The food is average. The experience is very nice for a child. We did CM's our first night with our 4 children who had never been to WDW and it was really special for them.
icc2515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
jlsmith376
Mouseketeer

Chef Mickey's is a great place to enjoy the characters - there is alot of singing and dancing. Your grandson will enjoy it. The food is okay. If you're not tied to a character meal for the first night, you might try Ohana at Polynesian or Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wildnerness Lodge. Neither have characters, but they are both very kid friendly with activities for the kids and the food is delicious.

jlsmith376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
houstonmama
Mouseketeer

We ate dinner at CM's on our first night & we really enjoyed it! The food was OK. they had a pasta dish that was yummy. I also liked the salad area a fresh fruit. We had ice cream for dessert. For the size of the restaurant the characters did a really good job making the rounds. We also went to H&V (wont go back), tusker house (thumbs up) & CRT (meh) & CM's was our favorite.

houstonmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
tluvstink
DIS Veteran

I think dinner at CM is a great way to start a Disney trip

The main attraction is the characters but I thought the food was fine especially the mashed potatoes

Terri
tluvstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

As others have said the character interaction is what makes CM as the food is mediocore at best. With that said, we did CM on our arrival day and I wouldn't do it again -- they were PACKED and running an hour behind schedule and everyone was cranky and tired from the early wake-up to make our flight.

ErinsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
*HappyDisneyMom*
*Dreams Come True*

We have a reservation for CM for our first night, not for the food, but because to us it's a good way to start off our Disney vacation. Gets you amped up for the rest of the trip. Go for the experience but not necessarily for the food...it's eh...

*HappyDisneyMom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
tinkgurl
Life is what happens in between trips to WDW
Those "flying cookies" flying through space can be seen
I'm hoping that the little guy likes them!

Chef Mickey's is a great first night meal! We have done that for several trips.
tinkgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossombrd View Post
How is Chef Mickey's for dinner? DH and I have never been there on our adult trips and are thinking about going there on the first night because we will have DGS7 (his 1st disney trip). Any good experiences there for dinner? I have read a little about the food not being so good for dinner. Is it really that bad? It seems like a good use of a table service credit since we will only have the dining plan for the first 4 nights of our 8 night stay. I'm trying to get the most bang for our buck out of the dining plan.

We won't arrive at All Star Sports until about 3 pm, so won't have much time for a park, and I figure it would be a good way to meet the characters and get our autographs so we don't have to spend time waiting in line later.
The food isn't very good. DH won't even let us go there due to the food but the character interaction and atmosphere is awesome in my opinion, and I would go there just for that.

ML_LovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
doclegler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *HappyDisneyMom* View Post
We have a reservation for CM for our first night, not for the food, but because to us it's a good way to start off our Disney vacation. Gets you amped up for the rest of the trip. Go for the experience but not necessarily for the food...it's eh...
Totally agree with this! Lots of fun on the first day and you cover the Fab 5 in one shot just in case you don't get a chance later.
doclegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
Ripey
Earning My Ears

We really liked the food. Lots of options and quite tasty. It was our first night meal as well and a great choice.
Ripey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
Kae
DIS Veteran

A first night tradition for us & then we take a spin on the monorail. then watch the Water parade at the CR beach. sometimes we take the bus to Epcot & then take the monorail to CR.

kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: