Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Question June/July/August ... the lesser of 3 evils

Weather, crowds and flight prices

Who can give me a comparison between the three? Or are they all pretty similar. Those are 3 months we have never traveled to Florida. We've done April/early May, September and October to give you an idea of what we're used to.

I don't have issues with busy parks so that would never be a deciding factor but constant rain and flight prices will have a bit more clout in influencing the decision.

Thanks peeps

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

We did June last year and going July this year (have to fit to DD school holidays now) and the flights direct with Virgin PE were virtually the same as we fly before the main school holidays start in England. The flight prices jumped the weekend after we fly by £300 when we booked

The weather will be hot all three months and last June we caught a TS which meant 3 days of rain however that could happen any of the months.

We will be going early July for the foreseeable future as the flight prices are the lowest we can get during DD school holidays.

Apr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

All 3 months will be very hot and crowded so its up to you and the flight prices.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
paul_toria96
DIS Veteran

We've been in August and Sept/Oct.

August wasn't as bad as we thought, it was hot and the queues were about 1-2 hours but to be honest it didn't seem that bad as there's so much to see/do in the queues. The fast passes did run out quick though

Sept/Oct was cooler, we went the last week in Sept and could use the pool but the first week in Oct was a lot cooler and the kids didn't use the pool, there were more rain storms but they passed quickly, the queues were shorter for some rides but some were still about an hour.

Saying that we are going back in Aug 2014

Hope this helps and good luck
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
lilmissbehaved
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Weather, crowds and flight prices

Who can give me a comparison between the three? Or are they all pretty similar. Those are 3 months we have never traveled to Florida. We've done April/early May, September and October to give you an idea of what we're used to.

I don't have issues with busy parks so that would never be a deciding factor but constant rain and flight prices will have a bit more clout in influencing the decision.

Thanks peeps
i have been in june (1st week) and august (last 2 weeks).

My preference was august. actually we go every year now at the end of august. i find it to be more crowded in june.. end of august the crowds are down but we did have to worry a few times about looming hurricanes. the last one took a turn and hit us at home and delayed our departure by a few days. i don't see too much of a difference in weather. it's HOT and sticy in both june and august. a few degrees doesn't really matter either way at that point!!!
lilmissbehaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise79 View Post
The weather will be hot all three months and last June we caught a TS which meant 3 days of rain however that could happen any of the months.

We will be going early July for the foreseeable future as the flight prices are the lowest we can get during DD school holidays.
Looks like your DD's school has a similarly timed break as ours do. Did you find July flight prices better than June? I would have assumed June would have been better, but I'll go with the flow (and the deals)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbehaved View Post
i have been in june (1st week) and august (last 2 weeks).

My preference was august. actually we go every year now at the end of august. i find it to be more crowded in june.. end of august the crowds are down but we did have to worry a few times about looming hurricanes. the last one took a turn and hit us at home and delayed our departure by a few days. i don't see too much of a difference in weather. it's HOT and sticy in both june and august. a few degrees doesn't really matter either way at that point!!!
Thanks, unfortunately late August is not an option for us as DD's school closes for the summer in late June and they are back again early August. If they were off the whole month of August I probably would have just gone and booked the last 2 weeks anyway. I will have to work with what I have.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
neilbrassfrog
Earning My Ears

Crowd-wise, early June and late August are best. Avoid the week of 4th of July.
neilbrassfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbrassfrog View Post
Crowd-wise, early June and late August are best. Avoid the week of 4th of July.
Now I am a bit strange - I know - but I looked at the provisional dates I'd pegged if we went in June and thought I'd add on a couple so that we could be there for July 4th

Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #9
VailaTigger
DIS Veteran

Looking at Scottish school summer holidays too for our next visit, either next year or 2015, so interested to hear people's views as well, as I've never been at this time of year.

Looking at hotel prices, crowd levels, weather etc I figured the last week in July and the first week in August was our best bet.

I thought I'd avoid July 4th!
2010 - April, Pop Century, 2 weeks
2012 - September, Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2 weeks honeymoon
VailaTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
irenep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Now I am a bit strange - I know - but I looked at the provisional dates I'd pegged if we went in June and thought I'd add on a couple so that we could be there for July 4th
Well we did end of June into July two years ago and were there for the 4th of July fireworks at MK. We loved it and had such good fun - we staked out at a nice spot right by the hub and stayed there for a couple of hours to watch the fireworks.

The rest of the time the parks were really busy from the day we arrived (27th) until we left (10th) but we always manage to get there for rope drop and fast pass what we want so the crowds never spoiled our time. Like you, we aren't bothered by crowds - been Easter and New Year and still had great times

Last year we were there early August - seemed to be a little less busy as there were very few BTGs around (loads in July!).

Weather wise, I don't think there is much difference all three months but I think August is probably slightly less rainy but again that really depends on any storm systems which you can never really predict.

This year we will be there from July 6th to 26th but personally, I would have chosen August were it not for the fact that the trip is to celebrate my eldest son's graduation and he starts work beginning of August.

So, yes, August ideally but I wouldn't stress about going any of those months - just see what the prices are like.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
strawberry blonde
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Me too We're going 22 June to 6th July. Always said we'd never do the Summer after our honeymoon June 1990 but with Uni and College, we can only do the Summer holidays so I booked it. We'll have gone over 4 years without a holiday trying to please everyone with the dates and enough is enough

Was going to try and get a last minute deal but chickened out
strawberry blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
scottish mum
We still have 2 posties in shorts
I'm still learning how to work it

We've been at the start of June, end of June and into July (loved being there for the 4th) The end of June and July were wetter than the start of June. It was busy at the start of June but nowhere near as busy as start of July. The parks being busy doesn't bother me as they re open for much longer in the evenings so you can take a break in the day and go back for the evening. We found in Sept/Oct the parks were quieter but closing so much earlier.

The only thing that puts me off about July is there were loads and loads of the South American tour groups. I've never been in August so can't comment
Disneyland Paris 1994, 1997, 2004, 2009
fort wilderness cabins september 2008
Beach Club October 2010

scottish mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Looks like your DD's school has a similarly timed break as ours do. Did you find July flight prices better than June? I would have assumed June would have been better, but I'll go with the flow (and the deals)
We did the last 2 weeks of June last year and we go 11 July this year for 16 nights. The June flights were slightly cheaper by about £30 per person.

She finishes school on 5 July this year and as long as we flew that week prices didn't increase however it has not been included in a sale so far and the price has now increased.

I would just go when you get the best price!

Apr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

Lee I cant comment on any month but august. Went 23/07-09/09 for charlottes 5th birthday and although very humid and busy in the afternoons it was ok. As ur like me and get there early that wont be an issue. My friend went june last year and she said the weather was not good and I remember reading a lot of people on here say that they had a lot of rain. That could have been a one off though. I am sure you will do ur research and you have to do whats best for you and of course the best flights. Are you still thinking of a sole trip as well?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbie1 View Post
L Are you still thinking of a sole trip as well?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I want to, if I can get decent flights for this year. There's an event I want to attend which popped up tonight so I am not as flexible as I was with dates for this year and it's a question of flight prices

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: