Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
KBT35
Mouseketeer

For our 4 night we spent an additional $500. This included excursions, tips, Palo (Brunch & Dinner), liquor & specialty drinks, souvenirs & Shutters pictures (we bought the smallest package but I bought an additional pic too)! Seemed like my money did this but I planned for $600 so I was fine!
My Aunt's 65th Birthday Dream Surprise May 26th-30th 2013
KBT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Here is a little tip especially if you have the Disney Visa (you get 6 months no interest). I will have the cruise paid off prior to the 75 day mark so about a month out (or after booking excursions to know that cost) I sit down and figure out what I know I will spend. Last time it looked like this:

Tips (for 2) - $225 - agree with above that you will want to tip more than "required since the service is so good

Pics - $50
Souvenirs - $200 (I get something for several family members)
Palo $75 - one brunch and one dinner plus tip (for one adult)
Spa - $350 - I love to splurge on this on vacation
Drinks - $75 - a few drinks at dinner throughout the week
Excursion - $200 - did castaway rays, a Disney excursion in St Thomas (did my own in St Maarten so that doesnt go to the onboard account)
Coffee - $35 for the week (at Cove Cafe)

This adds up to over $1200. So a couple of weeks prior to sailing, I call Disney and purchase a "gift" for myself of OBC of that amount. That way you get the no interest for 6 months and you have the OBC waiting for you when you board. YOu will still have to put a CC on file but only for the charges if you go over the amount above (which I always do by a little bit )

This give me a little more time to pay off the extras if I havent saved the whole amount prior to the trip.

Have fun!
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
altiek
Mouseketeer

Putting OBC on my account ahead of time really gets me the 6 mo no interest?!? I had no idea. . Thanks for that info!
*Rang in the New Year 2008 Boardwalk
*December 2010 Disney Wonder
*October 2012 POP
*March 2013 Disney Magic
*October 2013 POFQ
*March 2014 Disney Magic
altiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by altiek View Post
Putting OBC on my account ahead of time really gets me the 6 mo no interest?!? I had no idea. . Thanks for that info!
if you have the Disney Visa yes. At least it worked for me two times so far
Old 01-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
christianweecare
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen View Post
Here is a little tip especially if you have the Disney Visa (you get 6 months no interest). I will have the cruise paid off prior to the 75 day mark so about a month out (or after booking excursions to know that cost) I sit down and figure out what I know I will spend. Last time it looked like this:

Tips (for 2) - $225 - agree with above that you will want to tip more than "required since the service is so good

Pics - $50
Souvenirs - $200 (I get something for several family members)
Palo $75 - one brunch and one dinner plus tip (for one adult)
Spa - $350 - I love to splurge on this on vacation
Drinks - $75 - a few drinks at dinner throughout the week
Excursion - $200 - did castaway rays, a Disney excursion in St Thomas (did my own in St Maarten so that doesnt go to the onboard account)
Coffee - $35 for the week (at Cove Cafe)

This adds up to over $1200. So a couple of weeks prior to sailing, I call Disney and purchase a "gift" for myself of OBC of that amount. That way you get the no interest for 6 months and you have the OBC waiting for you when you board. YOu will still have to put a CC on file but only for the charges if you go over the amount above (which I always do by a little bit )

This give me a little more time to pay off the extras if I havent saved the whole amount prior to the trip.

Have fun!
I had no idea that you could do this either.

So you called Disney Cruise Line before your cruise and used your Disney Visa to add an OBC? And got 6 months interest free?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
Bsb1012
Earning My Ears

The only thing you HAVE to pay for is gratuities. However, with the ship not taking cash or credit cash at shops and such, it's EASY to "charge" on your KTTW card. You lose track very quickly of how much you've spent. My first cruise, I was floored at how much I spent. Now, my fifth cruise, I'm a little bit smarter. Have fun!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #22
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianweecare View Post
I had no idea that you could do this either.

So you called Disney Cruise Line before your cruise and used your Disney Visa to add an OBC? And got 6 months interest free?
Yes, if you do it ahead of time as an OBC, it counts as a "vacation" purchase and is eligible for the 6 months no interest. If you use your Disney Visa as the card when you get on the ship to pay for your on board charges, it does NOT apply.

I cannot 100% guarantee this will still work today. But, I did go back and confirm on my Visa statements and it did work for Feb 2011 and 2012 cruises.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #23
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You will also need to pay for packaged snacks if you buy them at the theaters, or through room service. Like popcorn.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #24
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

I went on a last-minute 7 nighter with a plan to stick to a budget. We had an OBC from the TA, and prepaid about $100 expecting to have tips, Palo, and a few smoothies. I ended up winning an OBC on board from one of the DVC presentation and had the money I prepaid refunded plus came home with some Disney gift cards.

2 months later we went on a 3 nighter that had been planned to be less budget, DH spent some time at the spa, we got some drinks, I'd prepaid $300 above the OBC and still checked out with a $200 bill. Oh well.

Have an idea of what you want to spend when you go in, add up if you want Palo, a drink a day,etc
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
goeva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
I went on a last-minute 7 nighter with a plan to stick to a budget. We had an OBC from the TA, and prepaid about $100 expecting to have tips, Palo, and a few smoothies. I ended up winning an OBC on board from one of the DVC presentation and had the money I prepaid refunded plus came home with some Disney gift cards.

2 months later we went on a 3 nighter that had been planned to be less budget, DH spent some time at the spa, we got some drinks, I'd prepaid $300 above the OBC and still checked out with a $200 bill. Oh well.

Have an idea of what you want to spend when you go in, add up if you want Palo, a drink a day,etc
I know this friendly lady.
Hello, Tarren.

MeDH DD DS

Last edited by goeva; 01-19-2013 at 03:40 PM.
goeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
MegSmethurst
Mouseketeer

Great info, thanks! We're not drinkers or into gambling so that won't add up. But it's good to know about room service and yummy smoothly drinks!!

MegSmethurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
tictoc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txblondie99 View Post
Great idea of putting extra money on disney gift cards! I love this thread cause some of the items I didnt even think about trying to put into our budget! Sadly we are on a tighter budget, just thankful to even go! But definitely want lots of fun in there!!
You can call ahead and put the cards on your account in onboard credit as well. That way you do not have to wait for Guest Services.

Tropical Storm Ernesto and I are Going to WDW for my Birthday! September 2006 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1209670

Me DH DS 18 DS 16 DD 11

tictoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #28
marciagms
Mouseketeer

What is OBC? We are going on our first cruise in May! We are so excited. I know about all there is to DisneyWorld but I feel lost not knowing all about DCL.

How much are the pictures?

marciagms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #29
marciagms
Mouseketeer

OK - On Board Credit Finally figured it out!!
What about the price of picture packages?

marciagms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #30
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciagms View Post
What is OBC? We are going on our first cruise in May! We are so excited. I know about all there is to DisneyWorld but I feel lost not knowing all about DCL.

How much are the pictures?
OnBoard Credit. Credit that is applied to your onboard account (maybe by a TA) to be used for purchases onboard.

This is from a 7 night cruise. The cost of the full cruise CD varies depending on the length of the cruise.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: