Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #106
croach
Mouseketeer

If it's what I think it is then yes it was a great photo op. Didn't stop for photos during the half so I was sad not to see Chip & Dale out for the full. At least they weren't in the same spot as the half. Enjoying the trip report and hearing about your Goofy experience.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #107
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Loving all the mile marker signs! I think I'd stop and use those as my photo-ops! Also love that you stopped for Chip and Dale. They're my favorite classic characters so I think they're worth the wait- glad yours was slow though.

What exactly was the pirate ship? Just something you could have your picture taken with? Or was there a character nearby?

Cannot wait to hear about rare character you caught up with next! I know they have a lot of characters reserved for only runDisney events these days!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop), January 2015 (ASMo)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #108
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by croach View Post
If it's what I think it is then yes it was a great photo op. Didn't stop for photos during the half so I was sad not to see Chip & Dale out for the full. At least they weren't in the same spot as the half. Enjoying the trip report and hearing about your Goofy experience.
You're probably thinking of the right one! I'm sorry you missed the 'munks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
Loving all the mile marker signs! I think I'd stop and use those as my photo-ops! Also love that you stopped for Chip and Dale. They're my favorite classic characters so I think they're worth the wait- glad yours was slow though.
I saw the mile marker sign in a friend's trip report a few years back and I'm SO glad I did. It never would have occurred to me to take those pictures but I am so glad to have them!

For the most part my rule with not-so-rare characters (and I would put Chip and Dale in that category) is to only stop if they are wearing special outfits, so the 'munks made the cut with their hats.
Quote:
What exactly was the pirate ship? Just something you could have your picture taken with? Or was there a character nearby?
I assumed it was this (from 2011 Princess Half):

I didn't stop for it though so I can't be sure.

Quote:
Cannot wait to hear about rare character you caught up with next! I know they have a lot of characters reserved for only runDisney events these days!
Yeah, last week during the marathon I met the 3 Little Pigs and Ludwig Von Drake...those were good ones! Lots of good ones this year too!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #109
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon! Magic Kingdom, Part 1

What's this? What's this?

It's Jack Skellington and Sally! One of my favorite character photos from the weekend.

The funniest part of the meet was when Jack put his arm out for me to grab and said, "Hello" in a super low, creepy voice. I had no idea he was a face character and wasn't expecting him to talk at all, so I had a mini-heart attack. But mostly I was just pumped to meet two awesome characters!

(Have you ever looked at the lyrics to "What's This?" So clever!)

By now we were at the TTC, and surprising to no one, mile 4 was a slow one (a little over 20 minutes long):

This is a notable area of the race because there is awesome spectator support here, as well as REAL bathrooms. Unfortunately the lines were out the door so we didn't stop. We headed under the water bridge near the Contemporary, and WOW was the course poorly lit here. Not cool.

Also notable about this part of the race? 8 minutes before we were at Mile Marker 4 the winner of the half marathon FINISHED THE RACE (1:05:26) - a new course record! Insanity.

Teeny little DJ with his cute little sign.

After the Contemporary we found ourselves at Mile Marker 5...

...and said good morning to Space Mountain!

We headed down a side road and finally hit our first park of the race.

All of us runners headed into the Magic Kingdom through a Cast Member-only entrance near The Chapeau and were met with lots of cheering spectators. We turned onto Main Street and found a cool surprise (well, the surprise I'd seen earlier from the monorail) - Christmas lights on the castle and a lit-up Main Street USA!

Traffic completely STOPPED on Main Street, and for the first time I realized how truly crowded this race was. I think there were 27,000 runners? This was quite different than what I'd experienced on this same course during the 2011 Princess Half, which had 14,000 finishers.

Looking back down Main Street:

I'm surprised my pictures came out so badly, because I honestly don't even remember being able to RUN down Main Street at all. Unless I'm exaggerating it in my mind we walked pretty much the entire way.

Next we turned right and headed into Tomorrowland.

Buzz Lightyear was out in front of the Lunching Pad, and we passed him up - not rare at all. We checked the lines for the bathrooms near Mickey's Star Traders (out the door) and saw people heading to the bathrooms by Space Mountain (eh, too lazy to go that far off the course). I gave up on the Tomorrowland bathrooms and we headed into Fantasyland. The Mad Tea Party was the sight of our next meet-up.

It was off with our heads before continuing on through Fantasyland!

Continued in Next Post
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #110
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon! Magic Kingdom, Part 2

Belle (in yellow dress) was out with the Beast near the new walls in Fantasyland, but we passed them up and headed to the castle.

Waiting...

These guys provided some entertainment:

This was another long-ish line (5-6 minutes)...but when the race con-duck-tor is out for photos in his royal attire, you stop. You just do.

After meeting the duck we ran through the castle and came to another complete stop. There were tons of runners trying to get out of the castle to make the turn into Liberty Square, and people just were not moving. Other runners started to great frustrated and yelled "runners to the left, walkers to the right!"...nice try. We just sort of slowly trudged down to the street below.

Still can't get a decent picture despite the fact that I'm walking ever-so-slowly...

We bypassed the photo-op in front of the castle (lines seemed huge and I knew from last year it would be official photos only - they wouldn't take one with my camera) and headed toward Liberty Square.

We passed Tiana in Liberty Square and Jessie in Frontierland and finally found Mile Marker 6! (Ate 4 more Gu chomps here.)

Another 22-minute mile! Without fail getting through the Magic Kingdom is always the longest portion of these Disney races for me...

And now it was time to leave the MK and head back to Epcot. We went backstage and passed Prince Phillip and Aurora standing on one of the daytime parade floats (giant line) and came to yet another bottleneck in the course. The area we had to run in was extremely narrow, and by now quite a few people were walking...so it was hard to dodge around them. I have absolutely no problem with people walking during a race (I do it myself a lot!) but proper race etiquette was just out the door this morning. People were walking right in the middle of the course, giving no notice when they were going to start walking, and groups were walking 4-5 across. It was incredibly frustrating. And these times when all of the runners seemed to be walking in one giant clump of people were really the only times the weather bothered me during the half...the sun and temperatures weren't too high yet, but when all of the runners were so close together it felt incredibly hot and humid out. Whenever we had some space it felt quite pleasant.

Somewhere in here our second alert was sent out: 10K in 1:33:31, an average pace of...15:03! Estimated finish time of 3:17.17. Thats what a 22-minute mile in the Magic Kingdom will do to you.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 01-29-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #111
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #112
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great pics!
Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #113
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

Great report! I remember the section you are talking about coming out of Magic Kingdom during the marathon. It was really tight and crowded. It was difficult to manage. My DH and I are run/walkers, so I was really paranoid about stopping to walk in these areas. We always made sure to position ourselves before slowing to be sure we weren't cutting anyone off and that we were out of the way as much as possible. But that was not the norm for a lot of runners a lot of the time.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #114
DancinDaisyDuck
Nothing left for me to do but dance

I really appreciate all the details you're including about not just the course itself and characters but also the pace, how the crowds are, and race etiquette. I didn't know most of the stuff you mentioned and I'm so glad you are writing about it, it's a big help knowing what to expect next year. Even though it sounds very crowded and must have been frustrating I think the MK part of the course is going to be such a special experience!

Also, I talked to my sister last night and we decided to stay at the Grand!!!

Looking forward to more!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #115
steph0808
Mouseketeer

I love reading your race reports!

I saw Jack and Sally during the marathon, but I didn't stop for them. I actually hate that movie with a passion (I watched it when I was like 7 and it came out and then I tried again this year and made it about halfway through - just not my cup of tea) so I skipped right by them!

I did get a rare character during the marathon (and from one of my favorite cartoons ever!). I won't say anything in case you got him too! He had absolutely no line - I don't think people realized who he was!
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #116
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Looks like they had some great characters this year! I've never seen Donald dressed like that! He looks great! I think this half has come pretty close to reaching its capacity limit. Each time I have run it, it seems to get more crowded. Makes corral placement even more important. Maybe I'll actually do some speed work and try to get a decent 10K time before next January.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #117
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Proper race ettiquite is the one thing I'm trying to make sure I get right. For the Myrtle Beach mini, I ran almost 14 miles because I was weaving in and out of traffic. I'm certain that was frustrating for both you and your brother!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #118
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB View Post
Great report! I remember the section you are talking about coming out of Magic Kingdom during the marathon. It was really tight and crowded. It was difficult to manage. My DH and I are run/walkers, so I was really paranoid about stopping to walk in these areas. We always made sure to position ourselves before slowing to be sure we weren't cutting anyone off and that we were out of the way as much as possible. But that was not the norm for a lot of runners a lot of the time.
Thanks! Yeah, am I right in remembering that during that post-MK section we had ONE LANE to run in? That can't be right, can it??

It was just such a mixed bag...proper race etiquette and improper race etiquette here and there. That and course crowding were really my only complaints about the race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinDaisyDuck View Post
I really appreciate all the details you're including about not just the course itself and characters but also the pace, how the crowds are, and race etiquette. I didn't know most of the stuff you mentioned and I'm so glad you are writing about it, it's a big help knowing what to expect next year. Even though it sounds very crowded and must have been frustrating I think the MK part of the course is going to be such a special experience!

Also, I talked to my sister last night and we decided to stay at the Grand!!!

Looking forward to more!
Thanks! So are you planning on running the half next year? They do publish this stuff in the final race instructions, but my guess is that for many people this is their very first BIG RACE, and they have possibly missed the instructions or, like you, just never heard of this before.

But you are right that there is nothing quite like running in the Magic Kingdom. Cramped or not, it's really an incredible experience. You and your sister will love it.

THE GRAND...you'll love that too! I actually decided to stop being lazy and tried to figure out how to edit my photos over the weekend, so my room pictures are looking a lot less yellow...if you haven't go back and look again. That should give you a better idea of what the room was like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808 View Post
I love reading your race reports!

I saw Jack and Sally during the marathon, but I didn't stop for them. I actually hate that movie with a passion (I watched it when I was like 7 and it came out and then I tried again this year and made it about halfway through - just not my cup of tea) so I skipped right by them!

I did get a rare character during the marathon (and from one of my favorite cartoons ever!). I won't say anything in case you got him too! He had absolutely no line - I don't think people realized who he was!
Thanks!! I think NBC is a love-it-or-hate-it movie. I love it, my husband hates it...even though he had a "What's This?" ringtone for a few months.

Now I'm trying to figure out your rare character...! You'll have to let me know if I got him! Are you going to post a race report to your blog?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
Looks like they had some great characters this year! I've never seen Donald dressed like that! He looks great! I think this half has come pretty close to reaching its capacity limit. Each time I have run it, it seems to get more crowded. Makes corral placement even more important. Maybe I'll actually do some speed work and try to get a decent 10K time before next January.
They really did have some great characters this year! I was pretty happy with the turnout overall.

AMEN on the half getting close to capacity. If they start letting more people in I feel like it might become a safety issue. It was just such a different experience compared to when we ran the Princess Half and there were 10,000 less people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
Proper race ettiquite is the one thing I'm trying to make sure I get right. For the Myrtle Beach mini, I ran almost 14 miles because I was weaving in and out of traffic. I'm certain that was frustrating for both you and your brother!
I totally hear you on weaving and adding extra mileage...that's the worst! For last year's marathon my total mileage was 26.88...! For the half this year it was 13.42 (not awful, I guess)...he knew I had the Garmin on and was asking me where we were, and when I admitted to him that we were ahead of the mile markers due to weaving, etc. he was not a happy camper. This year I did a teeny bit better with the marathon (26.85). Unfortunately the weaving is unavoidable sometimes...
Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #119
DancinDaisyDuck
Nothing left for me to do but dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
Thanks! So are you planning on running the half next year? They do publish this stuff in the final race instructions, but my guess is that for many people this is their very first BIG RACE, and they have possibly missed the instructions or, like you, just never heard of this before.

But you are right that there is nothing quite like running in the Magic Kingdom. Cramped or not, it's really an incredible experience. You and your sister will love it.

THE GRAND...you'll love that too! I actually decided to stop being lazy and tried to figure out how to edit my photos over the weekend, so my room pictures are looking a lot less yellow...if you haven't go back and look again. That should give you a better idea of what the room was like.
This is my first big race. This summer I will be running a Tough Turtle (5K obstacle course), another 5K and in November the Turkey Trot 10K in preparation for next year's half. I know nothing about race etiquette or what to expect, so getting some exposure soon will be really helpful.

I'm so excited for The Grand! My first choice was actually Beach Club, but my sis doesn't go to WDW was often as I do so GFlo was her request and I am happy to oblige. I'm just psyched out of my mind we're staying Deluxe! I'm a value person, so this will be the first time at some place so swanky and I can't wait!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #120
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

I LOVE Nightmare and listen to many of the songs. A lot of the lyrics are so clever, and I'm jealous people got to meet Jack and Sally.

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: