Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #91
beachgirl2000
Mouseketeer

I am sorry but I want video and/or documented proof that Fatone actually completed the entire Goofy challenge. I KNOW I am in better shape than him and there is no way I would attempt a full marathon let alone a half marathon and then a full marathon. Sorry, but I call shenanigans on this one!

(me) (son, 14) (hubby) (molly, 6)

Off Site (04/05) Off Site (10/10)
Off Site (05/06) Royal Pacific/Port Orleans (10/12)
Pop (05/08) Port Orleans FQ (08/14)
AKL (05/09)
Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #92
beachgirl2000
Mouseketeer

And one more thing, are you telling me Fatone is the only "celebrity" Disney could find to do this Challenge??? Really? Come on, now!

(me) (son, 14) (hubby) (molly, 6)

Off Site (04/05) Off Site (10/10)
Off Site (05/06) Royal Pacific/Port Orleans (10/12)
Pop (05/08) Port Orleans FQ (08/14)
AKL (05/09)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #93
jwgm2012
Mouseketeer

So excited to find another one of your reports! I love the detail and your experience memories. I just started "running", if I'm even allowed to call it that considering it's 3/4 running, 1/4 walking... but my goal is to eventually get to a Princess 5K or any Disney race for that matter

Can't wait to read the rest and again, thanks for reporting so in depth!

June 2012 - Our First Semi-Blended Family Trip - CSR
December 2012 - 1st Disney Christmas Ever and Adults only
June 2013 - Celebrating DD's 15th Birthday - OKW

Booooo for no upcoming trip ticker...
Old 01-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #94
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Caught up! It's interesting how smoothly the race start was for the half being at a monorail resort. I'm at BWV for the Princess Half and I've wondered if I should drive or if the bus transport would be fine.

That sign about the heat is interesting. I remember actually being concerned for you that weekend because I did a long run in SC that weekend and it was unbearably hot.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #95
camandjacksmom
Mouseketeer

I'm sad we didn't run into you in corral c!! Yes mr fatone was kinda lame as our celebrity (California got Sean Asten). I was shocked to by how the people just kept streaming in after the race had already started!! I couldn't even see an end to the stream of people and there was alot jumping over the gates.

Me : DH DS(15) DS (11)

October 2014-TBD and Girls Cruise!!!January 2014-POR,January 2013-POR,September 2012-POR,February 2012- POR,June 2011-POR,October 2010- Off Site,January 2010- Off Site,June 2009-Disneyland,January 2009-Off Site,December 2008- Off Site,Dec 2007-Off Site,June 2001- Disneyland, May 2001- Fort Wilderness, Dec 1998-Disneyland
Old 01-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #96
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

So glad your check-in/corral finding process was simple. It always pays off to be early! I would hate to be hurrying in and rushing through crowds to get ready to start.

Though the heat is a bigger downer, its nice to not need your throwaway clothes. Of course, having them and not needing them is better than needing them and not having them!

For the record, I believe I read somewhere that Joey did a 1-minute run/walk interval to make it through the races. He was by no means prepared to run the Goofy challenge. I'm not surprised that Disney let him use her bib, and make a big deal about it. Does Disney ask for ID when you pick up packets? I know I've run races using other people's bibs but they've never asked for ID at pick-up. I wonder if Disney is more strict about that (I wouldn't be surprised!)

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #97
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl2000 View Post
I am sorry but I want video and/or documented proof that Fatone actually completed the entire Goofy challenge. I KNOW I am in better shape than him and there is no way I would attempt a full marathon let alone a half marathon and then a full marathon. Sorry, but I call shenanigans on this one!
My only issue with it is that they don't allow ANYONE to transfer their bibs...unless they're a celebrity, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl2000 View Post
And one more thing, are you telling me Fatone is the only "celebrity" Disney could find to do this Challenge??? Really? Come on, now!
I know Drew Carey and Allison Sweeney were supposed to participate in the Weekend in some capacity but pulled out (due to an injury and scheduling conflicts, respectively).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgm2012 View Post
So excited to find another one of your reports! I love the detail and your experience memories. I just started "running", if I'm even allowed to call it that considering it's 3/4 running, 1/4 walking... but my goal is to eventually get to a Princess 5K or any Disney race for that matter

Can't wait to read the rest and again, thanks for reporting so in depth!
Thanks! And if you get out there and put one foot in front of the other, you're a runner! Poof, I declare you a runner! Hope you get to do a Disney race some day, I bet you would love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
Caught up! It's interesting how smoothly the race start was for the half being at a monorail resort. I'm at BWV for the Princess Half and I've wondered if I should drive or if the bus transport would be fine.

That sign about the heat is interesting. I remember actually being concerned for you that weekend because I did a long run in SC that weekend and it was unbearably hot.
I stayed at BCV last year...one thing you want to keep in mind is that ALL of the Epcot resorts share buses: Swan & Dolphin, Beach, Yacht and Boardwalk. I didn't have any problems taking a bus for the marathon last year from Beach. Just make sure you're on a bus by 3:30 and you should be okay.

Haha, thanks for thinking of me during the heat wave! They were on top of it...lots of warnings, fully-stocked water stops, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camandjacksmom View Post
I'm sad we didn't run into you in corral c!! Yes mr fatone was kinda lame as our celebrity (California got Sean Asten). I was shocked to by how the people just kept streaming in after the race had already started!! I couldn't even see an end to the stream of people and there was alot jumping over the gates.
I know! There were lots of people I was hoping to run into in C but it just didn't happen. I'm not sure what was going on during the morning of the half but it seemed like lots of people had trouble getting there on time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
So glad your check-in/corral finding process was simple. It always pays off to be early! I would hate to be hurrying in and rushing through crowds to get ready to start.

Though the heat is a bigger downer, its nice to not need your throwaway clothes. Of course, having them and not needing them is better than needing them and not having them!

For the record, I believe I read somewhere that Joey did a 1-minute run/walk interval to make it through the races. He was by no means prepared to run the Goofy challenge. I'm not surprised that Disney let him use her bib, and make a big deal about it. Does Disney ask for ID when you pick up packets? I know I've run races using other people's bibs but they've never asked for ID at pick-up. I wonder if Disney is more strict about that (I wouldn't be surprised!)
Yes, they do ask for ID when you pick up your bib. You need your ID and your signed waiver. To pick up my brother's bib I had to have a copy of his ID, his signed waiver and a form from him authorizing me to pick up his stuff. So they are about as thorough as they can be and there's no "legal" way to transfer bibs. I know lots of people will sell/buy them on eBay or Craig's List...but it was just weird to me that they were so open about how he ran using his wife's bib. I don't doubt that he completed the races but it wasn't quite "legal" from the beginning, and to me it's not fair to people that, say, signed up and then wanted to sell their bib for some reason (injury, sickness, etc.) but couldn't, or to those that wanted to sign up after registration had closed. It seems like Disney could set up some sort of transfer system so that people don't have to resort to trying to do it online through other means.

/rant over.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #98
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Yeah, I said a little brief prayer for you. I ran in like 80 degree weather at 1 pm and had to stop after 3 miles. I could have kept going, but I was not well enough hydrated and came back and tried the next morning.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #99
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
Yes, they do ask for ID when you pick up your bib. You need your ID and your signed waiver. To pick up my brother's bib I had to have a copy of his ID, his signed waiver and a form from him authorizing me to pick up his stuff. So they are about as thorough as they can be and there's no "legal" way to transfer bibs. I know lots of people will sell/buy them on eBay or Craig's List...but it was just weird to me that they were so open about how he ran using his wife's bib. I don't doubt that he completed the races but it wasn't quite "legal" from the beginning, and to me it's not fair to people that, say, signed up and then wanted to sell their bib for some reason (injury, sickness, etc.) but couldn't, or to those that wanted to sign up after registration had closed. It seems like Disney could set up some sort of transfer system so that people don't have to resort to trying to do it online through other means.

/rant over.
I agree! I know its a hassle for Disney to have people swapping but I know everyone would really appreciate it. Maybe they could make a swapping window from the time that registration closes to shortly before the race? Who knows

I agree that it doesn't seem right to keep advertising that they let a celebrity skirt the rules, though!

Can't wait until you're off and running!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #100
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

Your photos really bring back the excitement of race morning and how surreal it all was...being up at 3 am with thousands of other people and all that nervous energy.
Seeing the castle all lit up when I ran into MK took me completely by surprise, and I teared up running down Main St. with that beautiful castle in front of me. Pure Disney magic and a moment I'll never forget! I hope it wasn't too ruined for you having seen it from the monorail!

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #101
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
Yeah, I said a little brief prayer for you. I ran in like 80 degree weather at 1 pm and had to stop after 3 miles. I could have kept going, but I was not well enough hydrated and came back and tried the next morning.
That's so sweet! Running in the heat is definitely tough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
I agree! I know its a hassle for Disney to have people swapping but I know everyone would really appreciate it. Maybe they could make a swapping window from the time that registration closes to shortly before the race? Who knows

I agree that it doesn't seem right to keep advertising that they let a celebrity skirt the rules, though!

Can't wait until you're off and running!
Yeah, I'm hoping they will move toward having bib transfer in the future...they let people defer registration to the next year if they need to, so why not bib transfer? Hmm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
Your photos really bring back the excitement of race morning and how surreal it all was...being up at 3 am with thousands of other people and all that nervous energy.
Seeing the castle all lit up when I ran into MK took me completely by surprise, and I teared up running down Main St. with that beautiful castle in front of me. Pure Disney magic and a moment I'll never forget! I hope it wasn't too ruined for you having seen it from the monorail!
Surreal is the perfect way to describe it! There were definitely moments where I would just suddenly think to myself "it's 4AM and I'm here with thousands of people about to run for hours...this is nuts!"

It wasn't totally ruined for me seeing the MK from the monorail...the Dreamlights weren't on so THAT was a surprise!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #102
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon! Miles 1-3

The con-duck-tor counts down to Corral C's start at about 5:47AM...3 2 1 GOOO!

(Apologies for the shakiness. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1EdOoWWVMc

And we were off! All through this race I tried really hard to pay attention to our pace...not because I had a specific goal time in mind, but because keeping the marathon in mind I didn't want us to run the race too fast (and trash our legs) or too slow (and be on our feet for longer than necessary). I wanted us to run it juuuuust right...

...okay, I lied. I wanted us to beat our time from the Princess Half (3:02ish).

Ugh...please note the humidity on the Mile Marker 1 sign. Yuck!

I remember the first mile being very narrow and crowded. It was hard to run.

Cool flags!

I think we were able to spread out a bit by Mile Marker 2, if not right after. After passing this mile marker we each ate 4 Gu chomps (strawberry flavor, yum!). Craig wasn't a huge fan because they got stuck in his teeth.

And then we came up to the first character meet of the race: the pirate ship I'd seen from the monorail earlier that morning. We passed it up since the line was pretty big and we already have a picture with the exact same set-up from 2011.

Yo ho yo ho

Next we passed the photo-op screen I'd also seen earlier (I never did stop for a picture in front of this thing) before reaching the MK Entrance gates! LOTS of room to run by now, and if I remember correctly, we saw the lead wheelchair racers and runners pass us by on the other side of the median...they were already 9ish miles in! Wow.

The warning that plays over the speakers here was burned in my brain all weekend: "Caution runners. Road narrows, and speed bumps ahead." I bet despite the fact that I said it was burned in my brain I actually quoted it incorrectly just now. Despite the warning I was distracted by taking a video and managed to trip over a speed bump. Luckily I caught myself. Said video is linked below...not worth tripping for!

(This video is blurry and shaky and pretty awful in general...you've been warned!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnANSVVwF1o

Mile Marker 3 was just inside the gates.

At the 5K mark our first text/email alert was sent out: 5K in 38:18, a 12:19/mile pace. Estimated finish time of 2:41:35. Not bad, right?...

...then we came the first character meet we wanted to stop for. Bye-bye decent average pace!

By now we were outside the WDW Speedway and were both DRENCHED in sweat. Craig had to accept defeat, take off his long-sleeved pullover, and tie it around his waist. I voted for him wearing it around his shoulders Zack Morris-style but he vetoed that idea.

This line looked sort of long but only took 3-4 minutes...racing 'munks!

I must say, the bro was very good at spotting mile markers before I did (ahh, to be tall) and was all about the character pictures during this race. I don't know if it's because I've finally got him trained after our other race weekends, or if he was a fan of the more relaxed approach, or both. But it worked out well for me!

And it's a good thing too, because there was no way I was passing up the next photo-op. It was a long line (6-minute wait) but this is one of the rarer character meet-ups I've seen, so it was totally worth it.

.....how's that for a cliff-hanger??

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 01-28-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #103
Mrs Green
Mouseketeer

I am loving your trip report...just read the whole thing and not happy with the cliffhanger!!!

I ran my first 5k last summer and would like to train for more races in the future...possibly the new 10k at DLR or the princess 5k. I am in awe of you running Goofy; it is beyond my comprehension but makes for interesting and inspiring reading! Thanks for sharing with us!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #104
camandjacksmom
Mouseketeer

I know! I know!!! It was our favorite of the race!! I actually jumped up and down like a little kid!!!

Me : DH DS(15) DS (11)

October 2014-TBD and Girls Cruise!!!January 2014-POR,January 2013-POR,September 2012-POR,February 2012- POR,June 2011-POR,October 2010- Off Site,January 2010- Off Site,June 2009-Disneyland,January 2009-Off Site,December 2008- Off Site,Dec 2007-Off Site,June 2001- Disneyland, May 2001- Fort Wilderness, Dec 1998-Disneyland
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #105
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Green View Post
I am loving your trip report...just read the whole thing and not happy with the cliffhanger!!!

I ran my first 5k last summer and would like to train for more races in the future...possibly the new 10k at DLR or the princess 5k. I am in awe of you running Goofy; it is beyond my comprehension but makes for interesting and inspiring reading! Thanks for sharing with us!
Haha, sorry for the cliff-hanger!

I'm glad Disney has added a 10K back into the mix...hopefully this will inspire them to add more. I'm sure lots of people want to run longer races after the 5K, but the jump from a 5K to a 10-miler or half marathon is quite a big one!

Thanks for reading!
Quote:
Originally Posted by camandjacksmom View Post
I know! I know!!! It was our favorite of the race!! I actually jumped up and down like a little kid!!!
ME TOO! One of the best character meet-ups I've seen!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: