Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #76
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

Cute action photo with Mickey!

Mmmm...waffles! Best post-run meal ever!

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #77
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAFan0829 View Post
What a great way to spend post-race!!! Those waffles sure do look yummy! I had no idea WL had those there, so I may have to give them a try sometime! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Mickey pic and I'm so glad it made up for 2012! I don't think you could have spent your morning any better!!!
Yep! The waffles are available until 11. I have heard they let adults order the kid's portion (2 waffles instead of 3 and you get applesauce along with bacon on the side) but I wanted AS MANY WAFFLES AS POSSIBLE. No regrets.

You're right...it really was the perfect solo morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardmickeyears View Post
"It has fruit on it, so it must be healthy!"

That has to be one of the smartest things I've ever heard.

MICKEY WAFFLES

YAY for running pose Mickey
Oh yeah, I'm just full of wisdom.

Mickey waffles and running with Mickey...it was just a Mickey-filled morning! If only every day was like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB View Post
Love the Mickey shot. We also went to see him post marathon for a picture and he was great. Did running motions to us and high fives although our picture with him is far more boring than yours. Great job!
Yay! Glad he was great for you too! Gotta love a fun character interaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxefig View Post
I couldn't participate in the "guess the resort" portion of your trip report festivities since I saw the PTR, but the shots with the bed spreads totally gave it away! Or maybe I just have a weird fetish that I can identify a resort by the bed spread alone ...?
I wondered if anyone would recognize the bedspreads!
Quote:
I think Goofy was the right line to wait in. I have always wanted my picture with Colonial Goofy. I thought for sure it would be a home run when I did the Liberty Tree character dinner back when they still had that, but it was more of a Colonial peasant Goofy than military soldier. I guess I prefer my Goofy men in uniform!
My friend ran the marathon in 2009 and got a picture with Colonial Goofy, Mickey and Donald...that has been one of my top wishes for character photo stops in the last 2 marathons and it hadn't happened. So at least I have 1 out of the 3 now! I agree with you, gotta love the fellas in uniform!
Quote:
And not to thread jack, but since it was mentioned in your PTR, I have since officially signed up for the Dumbo Double Dare, so I guess instead of being a dope I can be a Dumbo instead. Definitely a step up!
Congrats on going Dumbo! I really wanted to do it but the funds just aren't there this year. I could have been a Dopey Dumbo...or a Dumb Dope...or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyParrothead View Post
That's my mantra, for anything. It's got fruit, it's healthy
We should get that printed on t-shirts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laracroft72 View Post
I am loving your TR! I hope to someday run the 1/2 or the 5k. I feel like I am right there with you, great perspective.
Awesome! 1/2 and 5K are great goals and I bet you would love running at Disney. I hope you get to do it some day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
Cute action photo with Mickey!

Mmmm...waffles! Best post-run meal ever!
YES. OMG I love waffles. They're on the dinner menu for tonight! (Just regular ones, not Mickey-shaped...but still.)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #78
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Jumping in! I'm a runner myself, and arrived in the world just after marathon weekend. Seeing everyone wearing their medals made me so excited to read some marathon trip reports! Plus, your title is genius!

I agree that it's sort of a toss up for the 5k price. I've done color runs, and Warrior Dashes that are similarly priced. I suppose I always just figure the experience is worth it. Not to mention the medal is a big plus!

Loving all your Grand pictures! I went for a character breakfast last weekend and was blown away at how nice the staff was while I was wandering around the property. Everyone asked how I was doing, how my morning was, etc. it was awesome! I see why people love it there so much!

I'm sure your mouse keeping was understanding, haha! I'll bet they've seen/smelled much worse!

Can't wait to hear about your next race of the weekend!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #79
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

STAY OFF YOUR FEET, DUMMY! Part 1

Before I go any further I think I'll just say this once and get it out of the way. In some instances my family and I don't exactly jive when it comes to Disney - I think I alluded to this a bit in my other 2 race reports - and this trip was no exception. I am not exaggerating when I say that except for a few instances, they found something to complain about CONSTANTLY (except for my brother - I think he "gets" Disney - but he likes to tell gross nursing stores DURING MEALS so that's a whole other issue ). In the past it's really bothered me, as I am the planner of the group and put a lot of thought into hotel/park/dining choices based on what I think people will like, but I've finally started to learn to tune it out and just enjoy myself. It took me awhile to get there though, and this combined with my crazy arrival day and general nerves for the upcoming races made the first couple of days of this trip pretty tense. This also contributed to why I have no pictures of any of our travel group except for me, Will and Craig, and why I have very few pictures from Friday afternoon. I'm not going to dwell on it throughout the report, but this is what went on the entire time the whole group was together.

ANYWAY...they arrived and we headed to my room for a quick tour. I also gave my brother his Christmas present (a Cleveland Browns tech shirt to wear for the race!) and his race shirts. Now, we were both signed up for Goofy...but while I'd been preparing for it basically all year and had officially started training in early September, for a variety of reasons Craig pretty much did not train AT ALL. As far as I know he basically ran a handful of 5- and 6-milers and nothing else. Before the trip he finally admitted that he was probably only going to run the half, but now that he was there I think he was getting caught up in the excitement and started talking like he was going to do both races. We'll see!

After the GF tour we piled into my brother's car to head to Caribbean Beach resort so that they could check in. Here's a tip from me to you - if you're planning on traveling to Disney for Marathon Weekend, don't wait until AFTER THANKSGIVING to book your room, because the only rooms that will be left will be CBR pirate rooms. I never actually got to see the room, but the reviews ranged from "it's fine" to "it sucks." Eh, whatever. The drive to CBR was tough because the GPS in my brother's car just could not make sense of Disney property and I never drive in Disney so I was pretty clueless. Eventually we made it to the resort and were told that the room wasn't ready, so we headed to Epcot to get lunch. We parked at the Boardwalk, got everyone's tickets squared away, and headed to France...bonjour, delicious food!

I think everyone else got some kind of sandwiches (croissants, baguettes, etc.)...I got the quiche Lorraine and some kind of chocolate mousse dome...and water, of course (hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!):

I had them toast the quiche so that it was hot and it was SOOOO good. Really creamy and the perfect temperature. The chocolate mousse was awesome if I remember correctly it had a dark chocolate layer with a white chocolate layer inside. Very rich and oh so tasty.

Everyone was pretty happy with this meal overall, so we were off to a good start. I didn't take very good notes on this day (or many pictures, like I said before)...just wasn't in the mood.

After lunch I think we looked around France a bit and then headed to the UK pavilion, then Canada. We're all big Off Kilter fans but never managed to catch them on this trip, so that was sad. I pulled up the My Disney Experience App to check wait times in Future World and led everyone to Spaceship Earth.

Thumbs-up for a life of leisure in the future!

One thing I KNOW I kept doing was checking the wait times for Test Track...and there were no wait times because it was down all day. LAME. I was also occasionally checking the fastpass return time for Soarin' (wait time was 45-60 minutes...way too long) and at some point we grabbed fastpasses with a 6:50-7:50 return window and walked on to Living with the Land.

After frolicking in The Land we headed back to World Showcase to explore a bit more. Everyone was quite taken with Mexico but didn't want to go on the Grand Fiesta Tour...I think my aunt got a pair of earrings though.

Sup, bro.

Somewhere in here I got a text from Will that he was boarding his flight...yay!

Anyone got an extra $37,500 lying around??

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 02-05-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #80
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

STAY OFF YOUR FEET, DUMMY! Part 2
Eventually we decided it was time to check in for our 5:45 dinner reservations.

I feel like people either love or hate Via Napoli...this was my 3rd time eating there and I LOVE it. My only complaint is that it is LOUD in there, but I guess that's just a function of how the space was constructed.

My mom and aunt split a medium-sized pizza (a white pizza, I think - it was HUGE)...actually, this is one other small issue I had with Via Napoli on this trip. Craig and I got our pizzas (individual-sized pepperoni for me, individual-sized mushroom for bro) about 5-10 minutes before the white pizza came out. No one else seemed to mind (bizarre considering the other stuff they moaned about...but I digress). I think I was actually the only one that was perturbed by that.

The kid is trained now. I pointed my camera toward his pizza and without saying anything he instinctively threw his arms up. Good boy!

I need to note that last year Craig got some kind of pasta with clams that he liked, but not as much as he liked the bites of pizza he tried from me and mom. When we were going to order he asked me if I remembered what he had last year and I relayed the info. He was much happier with his pizza this year...hooray for trip reporting and taking pictures of food!

I think this is a great pre-race meal because it's not too heavy thanks to the thin crust and light cheese. I'm normally not a huge fan of pizza sauce, but I like what they use here. It's a little...sweeter than other pizza sauce, I think? Whatever it is, it's delicious.

After dinner we headed back to The Land to use our Soarin' fastpasses (thumbs up all around...but COME ON Disney, clean the film up already! ) and I had to call it a night. I'd been up since 4AM and did have a race to run the next day, after all...plus I just needed alone time. I gave everyone instructions on how to get back to the car, set up a meeting time with Craig for the next morning (4AM "near the DJ"...my idea. Way too vague) and made my way to the monorail station.

If I could go back in time there are a few things I'd change about the weekend, but the biggest would be to go slap my Friday-afternoon-self silly and say, "STAY OFF YOUR FEET, DUMMY!" That afternoon/evening of walking around in Epcot was WAY too much before the races, enough that my feet felt a little achy by the time I got back to the Grand Floridian. I know everyone always says that runners need to stay off their feet before a race, and Disney runners will sort of half-heartedly nod while thinking, "yeah, but the parks are RIGHT THERE..." but seriously, this was a mistake. It honestly never occurred to me that I'd walked around too much until my feet started bugging me. DUMB!

Back at the resort I made a stop at Gaspirilla Island for cupcake #2 of the weekend (cupcakes cure all! ) and got back to the room at 8:15. I was very surprised to see that wed gotten turndown service. Nice!

The rest of the evening was just re-checking everything for the half, waiting for Will to arrive and stuffing my face with cupcake.

S'mores Cupcake from Gaspirilla Island:

Some kind of fudge on the inside:

This was good, but nothing super special. I think I like the s'mores cupcake from the Boardwalk Bakery better. I ate half of it and shoved the rest in the fridge for Will to have later (he never actually ate it).

Will's flight was due to land at MCO at about 9:50 (he'd connected in Nashville...long travel day after a full work day!), meaning that he wouldn't be at the hotel until about 11:30. There was no way I was going to make it until 11:30, so I sent him a message to just keep me updated (he argued against it since I needed to go to sleep but I said it was fine) and went to sleep at 9:30. About 5 minutes later I got the message that he'd landed early! Yay! I went back to sleep pretty easily and he sent me a message to let me know he was at the resort at about 11:15. I rolled out of bed, met him in the lobby and gave him a quick tour before we got back to our room. I think I was back to bed at about 11:30 with my usual 3 alarms set my phone at 2:45, a wake-up call for 2:55, and the iHome for 3AM. Race #2 coming up!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 01-25-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #81
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
Jumping in! I'm a runner myself, and arrived in the world just after marathon weekend. Seeing everyone wearing their medals made me so excited to read some marathon trip reports! Plus, your title is genius!
Welcome!...and thank you!
Quote:
I agree that it's sort of a toss up for the 5k price. I've done color runs, and Warrior Dashes that are similarly priced. I suppose I always just figure the experience is worth it. Not to mention the medal is a big plus!
Yeah, I think you're on to something with the pricing. The location plays a huge part. It's probably not fair to compare 5Ks I run at home ($18-$20 around areas in Ohio, no finisher medallion/medal) to ones at Disney ($55 through a Disney park with a finisher medallion at the end). Just 2 totally different experiences.
Quote:
Loving all your Grand pictures! I went for a character breakfast last weekend and was blown away at how nice the staff was while I was wandering around the property. Everyone asked how I was doing, how my morning was, etc. it was awesome! I see why people love it there so much!
Aren't the Grand Floridian CMs awesome? After staying there I really don't know where the "stuffy" reputation the resort has comes from. It must be the decor only, because the CMs made us feel totally comfortable the entire time.
Quote:
I'm sure your mouse keeping was understanding, haha! I'll bet they've seen/smelled much worse!

Can't wait to hear about your next race of the weekend!
Oooh, I bet they have. Poor mousekeepers. Ours was great!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #82
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Glad you were able to tune out the family's complaints and enjoy yourself!

I swooned over the castle when I saw it too! I can't help but wonder how many of those Disney sells.

I could've believe the flecks on the Soarin' film either! I mean, c'mon Disney! Can't they go digital? (Unless the film is already digital and something else is wrong!)

Those cupcakes sound fantastic! Definitely keeping that in mind for next time!

Can't wait to hear about the half! Hope it went well!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #83
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear that you're family doesn't see Disney the same way that you do. I know that's tough, but I'm glad you've learned to not let it bother you!

Sounds like a fun afternoon/evening in Epcot.

And you definitely have me adding cupcake to my list of things to try on my next trip!

Oh, I am so excited to read about the next race...I can't wait!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #84
beachgirl2000
Mouseketeer

I am loving your report. I know what you mean about vacationing with family. That is why the last time it was just me, my husband and son. As much as I love to travel with my parents and sisters and their families, if I don't organize everything right down to the second, then nothing gets accomplished but when I do give them my itinerary, they make fun of me! You can't win!

(me) (son, 14) (hubby) (molly, 6)

Off Site (04/05) Off Site (10/10)
Off Site (05/06) Royal Pacific/Port Orleans (10/12)
Pop (05/08) Port Orleans FQ (08/14)
AKL (05/09)
Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #85
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Glad you were able to tune out the family's complaints and enjoy yourself!

I swooned over the castle when I saw it too! I can't help but wonder how many of those Disney sells.

I could've believe the flecks on the Soarin' film either! I mean, c'mon Disney! Can't they go digital? (Unless the film is already digital and something else is wrong!)

Those cupcakes sound fantastic! Definitely keeping that in mind for next time!

Can't wait to hear about the half! Hope it went well!
Oh definitely! Luckily Will thinks the way I do about Disney...phew!

I love the castle! I saw the price and was trying to have Craig guess it and had to say "nope, higher" 5-6 times! It's pricey!

The flecks have been there every time I've ridden Soarin' but they looked pretty awful this most recent trip. It's really a shame.

Gotta LOVE the cupcakes at Disney! I had two on my list for this trip but ended up with 3...woohoo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAFan0829 View Post
Sorry to hear that you're family doesn't see Disney the same way that you do. I know that's tough, but I'm glad you've learned to not let it bother you!

Sounds like a fun afternoon/evening in Epcot.

And you definitely have me adding cupcake to my list of things to try on my next trip!

Oh, I am so excited to read about the next race...I can't wait!
Yeah, I used to think it was just a "the way I vacation" vs. "the way they vacation" thing, but I really did feel like they found something wrong with practically EVERYTHING they did on this trip. It was sort of freeing to realize that there was nothing I could do to make them totally happy...so why upset myself over it?!

We did have fun in Epcot...this was the first time I've really taken a good amount of time to explore some of the countries (Mexico, for example) so that was fun!

I have a "to-eat" list for my next trip too! The Nutella/fruit waffle from Sleepy Hollow is firmly at the top of that list...I wanted to try it this trip but never found the time. This trip was all about the cupcakes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl2000 View Post
I am loving your report. I know what you mean about vacationing with family. That is why the last time it was just me, my husband and son. As much as I love to travel with my parents and sisters and their families, if I don't organize everything right down to the second, then nothing gets accomplished but when I do give them my itinerary, they make fun of me! You can't win!
Your family sounds a lot like mine... The problem with these race trips is that if my brother and I are doing the races I don't really feel like I can tell my mom that she can't come, ya know? That might be awkward. And my brother "gets" Disney but he's pretty disorganized, so that was part of the reason why their room got booked so late. Oh well, I did my best. The good news is that when Will and I go just the two of us he gives me the reigns (but still has some input, of course) and then I can really let my crazy OCD planning tendencies shine through! Yay!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #86
camandjacksmom
Mouseketeer

I totally understand the family irritation equation and Disney!! I love my dad going with us for my children's sake but I always loose it over the food reservations!! I spend hours looking at menus and finding the right place for all of us to find something to eat. Then the response I get is I could get a better steak at the Golden Corral!! I mean really your eating at artist point in Disney a signature restaurant??? Don't you know how much energy I put I this.....breathing!!!! I am actually relieved it isn't just my family who comes across ungrateful and complainy(is that even a word)!!!

Me : DH DS(15) DS (11)

October 2014-TBD and Girls Cruise!!!January 2014-POR,January 2013-POR,September 2012-POR,February 2012- POR,June 2011-POR,October 2010- Off Site,January 2010- Off Site,June 2009-Disneyland,January 2009-Off Site,December 2008- Off Site,Dec 2007-Off Site,June 2001- Disneyland, May 2001- Fort Wilderness, Dec 1998-Disneyland
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #87
nnjamison
Earning My Ears

Love it! Hanging around for more!

1st Visit '87 off site and just a tyke
2nd Visit '92 FL resident off site
3rd Visit '05 POR disneymoon
4th Visit '12 CBR the kiddos 1st visit
5th Visit in the WORKS for '14 !!

Me DH DD (11) DD (6)
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #88
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by camandjacksmom View Post
I totally understand the family irritation equation and Disney!! I love my dad going with us for my children's sake but I always loose it over the food reservations!! I spend hours looking at menus and finding the right place for all of us to find something to eat. Then the response I get is I could get a better steak at the Golden Corral!! I mean really your eating at artist point in Disney a signature restaurant??? Don't you know how much energy I put I this.....breathing!!!! I am actually relieved it isn't just my family who comes across ungrateful and complainy(is that even a word)!!!
Wow, nothing against your dad...but Golden Corral, really?

Definitely not just your family. I know they appreciate that I plan everything, look around for discounts, etc....but I feel like they just can't help themselves. I used to feel a lot of pressure with these trips BECAUSE I planned everything, like if they didn't have fun it was my fault, but after traveling with them a few times I realize that it's just how they are. Nothing I can do about it. Except ignore them and still have my own fun! Will and I are planning a trip for just the two of us (NOT centered around a race) and I'm REALLY looking forward to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjamison View Post
Love it! Hanging around for more!
Thanks, and welcome!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #89
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Day 3: Saturday, January 12, 2013

2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon - Arriving

No waking up early this time...I slept like a ROCK.

Technically this was my first time running the WDW Half Marathon, but I have run this course before...it's exactly the same as the course used during the Princess Half Marathon. I leapt out of bed at 2:45, turned off the iHome, grabbed the room wake-up call and did the same as the previous morning - coffee, sunscreen, camera battery check , etc. After saying good-bye to a completely dead-asleep Will, I headed out of the room at about 3:20 with a bit more stuff than I had with me for the 5K - Gu chomps for fuel during the run, breakfast for Princess C, my phone wrapped in a paper towel and secured in a baggie - you'll see me holding it in pictures, a small pack of tissues (sole purpose - in case I happened upon a porta-potty with no toilet paper! ) and completely pointless throwaway clothes. With the long wait in the starting corrals runners bring old clothes to wear to keep warm, which Disney picks up, cleans and donates to charity. This was the first year I'd actually remembered to bring clothes, and of course I totally didn't need them - temperatures were already in the mid-60s with 100% humidity at 4AM.

Like I said earlier, monorail resorts utilize the monorail for transportation to these morning races, which was really nice. The bus transportation I've had in the past (from Port Orleans Riverside in 2011 and Beach Club Villas in 2012) was totally fine, but I have heard horror stories of traffic jams and bus drivers getting lost. Taking the monorail just gave me an extra piece of mind that getting to the start would be smooth. I took very careful notes on how long everything took so I'd know what to do for the marathon, and this started when a monorail pulled right up to the station when I arrived at 3:28AM. We briefly stopped at the Magic Kingdom stop (the doors opened for a few seconds and then quickly shut again) and this is when I got my first course spoiler - the Magic Kingdom, including the castle, was all lit up! Woohoo!

We picked up some runners at the Contemporary before continuing on to the TTC. Everyone was very quiet, which was fine by me - I don't do well with making small talk in general...chit chatting before I've had a sufficient amount of coffee is borderline impossible.

Our monorail arrived at the TTC at 3:36. We silently switched monorails and were en route to Epcot by 3:39. Everyone was still quiet and I could see more race "spoilers" along World Drive - Mile Marker 3, a screen with runner Mickey, Donald and Goofy, and the same pirate ship that had been out during the 2011 Princess Half Marathon. I don't recall feeling very nervous...I think the 5K had allowed me shake out all of the nerves and now I was just looking forward to getting out there to run!

We arrived at the Epcot monorail station at 3:50AM. Coming down the ramp from the monorail station there were LOTS of Cast Members available to direct us either to the starting area or to the bathrooms under the monorail station. I, of course, went to the bathrooms...because they were REAL BATHROOMS! This is very rare on a race course.

After the bathroom stop I made my way toward the start. I have to say, the Cast Members I encountered that morning were AWESOME - they were all so nice and encouraging (lots of "good luck" and "have fun" wishes) and didn't seem to mind that they were up so early just to tell us where the bathroom was. It was great that there were so many of them - there was absolutely no confusion on where to go. Lots of us runners made sure to thank them as we passed by.

LALALALALA *plugs ears*

Under the mouse ears and into the starting area!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 01-25-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #90
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon - Waiting for the Start

The walk from the monorail station to the start area took longer than I expected, and as a result I was about 15 minutes late to meet Princess C. Oops! I also realized that "near the DJ" was definitely not a specific enough meeting place...I shouldn't even refer to it as a meeting place at all. Like I said before, way too vague. I don't know how Craig spotted me because there were lots of people around and I couldn't see him at all...maybe he had an advantage because he's tall. There are lettered tents in the "Family Reunion"/start area and we quickly decided to meet at one of those tents the next morning for the marathon.

We chatted a bit and by then I think I had already ditched my throwaway clothes - old sweatpants and a $4 fleece jacket from my local Goodwill - in a donation bin. Craig wasn't wearing throwaway clothes, but he did have on a nice long-sleeved Nike running top. I asked him what he was planning to do with it because there was NO way he was going to survive with that and a t-shirt underneath for the entire race. Neither of us planned on checking bags so it looked like he'd be stuck carrying it at some point.

After heading through the no bag-check line we came to a stand-still and were stopped for a decent amount of time (15 minutes maybe?) before making the long walk from the holding area to the starting corrals. Per Disney race tradition people were already hopping off to the side of the roads for a bathroom break in the bushes - men AND women. I prefer to just keep walking...there are tons of porta-potties near the corrals, and the ones toward the end always have the shortest lines.

Anyway, after our long walk and a bathroom stop (NOT in the bushes ) we reached our corral at about 5:15...not too long before the official start of the race.

After some bantering back and forth from the hosts/DJs and a few interviews (including one with Joey Fatone of *NSync, who seemed to be THE celebrity of the weekend) another Disney vocalist sang the National Anthem. Random thought about Joey Fatone (aka Fat One for anyone that watches Dancing With The Stars) - I thought it was weird how much they promoted that he was running Goofy purely because his wife had signed up and had to pull out...so he was running with her bib, even though us non-celebrities are NOT allowed to transfer bibs. Ooooookay.

During this time we marveled at the people who were just arriving at the starting corrals and were sprinting to make it to the A and B corrals on time...yikes. Glad we got there early!

Anyway, the wheelchair racers went first, followed by Corral A, then B. We inched closer to the start...

Mornin', fellas.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 01-27-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: