Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #61
DancinDaisyDuck
Nothing left for me to do but dance

I'm jumping in! It's so exciting (and very informative) to read your WDW Marathon weekend trip report!!! My sister and I are planning on running the half marathon next year and have no idea what to expect. I love that you stayed at the Grand Floridian, too. We hope to stay Deluxe on race weekend too. If we're going to run 13.1 miles, I want a hot tub and nice linens, lol.

Looking forward to more!!

Last edited by DancinDaisyDuck; 01-22-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #62
beachgirl2000
Mouseketeer

I am here! I hope one day to do the Half Marathon!!!! Can't wait to read all about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(me) (son, 14) (hubby) (molly, 6)

Off Site (04/05) Off Site (10/10)
Off Site (05/06) Royal Pacific/Port Orleans (10/12)
Pop (05/08) Port Orleans FQ (08/14)
AKL (05/09)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #63
leopardmickeyears
The Lost Princess

THOSE PINS! are too cute! So is the Vinyl! I'm not big on collecting vinyls either (I actually got my first one a few months ago just because it is my favorite sports team) but I would def get that guy .

YAY Disney Dooney! Wow, look at that logo on it
Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #64
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
I'm really enjoying this report! I've never participated in a run (I'm not a runner) and I haven't really seen pictures from one either. It really looks like a lot of fun! And how cute is that medallion!
Don't worry, I have LOTS of pictures. The runs really are a lot of run...the bling is the icing on the cake!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardmickeyears View Post
Just found your TR, but I'm def in. I am FINALLY getting to participate in a runDisney event next year and I am so doing Goofy. Can't wait to read your adventure and live vicariously through you
Welcome! I hope you get to run Disney next year. If you go Goofy, the best advice I can give you is to find a training plan that you are comfortable with and STICK TO IT. (It sounds obvious, but it worked for me!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAFan0829 View Post
Awesome review of the 5K! I think the Royal Family 5K runs the same route, so a lot of your pictures looked very familiar!!

Your room at GF looks so lovely! I'm glad that you were able to find the cupcake!
I think you're right that the two 5K routes are the same. Possibly different characters though, right?

We really loved our room at the Grand Floridian. It was beyond what we were expecting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinDaisyDuck View Post
I'm jumping in! It's so exciting (and very informative) to read your WDW Marathon weekend trip report!!! My sister and I are planning on running the half marathon next year and have no idea what to expect. I love that you stayed at the Grand Floridian, too. We hope to stay Deluxe on race weekend too. If we're going to run 13.1 miles, I want a hot tub and nice linens, lol.

Looking forward to more!!
Welcome! How fun that you are going to run the race with your sister! You're right, having access to a hot tub is a huge bonus on race weekends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl2000 View Post
I am here! I hope one day to do the Half Marathon!!!! Can't wait to read all about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome!!
Quote:
THOSE PINS! are too cute! So is the Vinyl! I'm not big on collecting vinyls either (I actually got my first one a few months ago just because it is my favorite sports team) but I would def get that guy .

YAY Disney Dooney! Wow, look at that logo on it
They really do have some cool merchandise for the races! I'm glad I got to the expo early enough to get a good selection. I'll have to post a picture of the vinyl with the medals on. He's bling'd out!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #65
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

2013 Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K! Final Thoughts

1. Like I said earlier, I think this is a GREAT race for newer runners. I read a lot about people who want to do a race at Disney (or anywhere really) but aren't sure they can do a half or full marathon - CHECK OUT THE 5K! It's really fun, low-pressure (no sweepers or official timing), less distance, it's much cheaper than the longer races, and you still get the full Disney race experience.

2. Along those lines, this is a great race for KIDS! There were lots of families running this race, which I thought was really neat. I could see myself doing this with a kiddo sometime in the future.

3. However, despite the fact that this race is cheaper than the other two, I keep going back and forth over whether I think it's overpriced. I think that the entry fees for the half and full marathon are in line with what other big races cost (New York, Marine Corps Marathon, Chicago, etc.)...but $55 for a 5K is easily twice as much as I've ever paid for a 5K race. Then again part of that is paying for the experience of running through a Disney park, and they did have refreshments afterward, lots of porta-potties, good transportation, and the finisher medallion, which is rare for a 5K (this was my 7th 5K and the only one where I got a finisher medal/medallion at the end). So I'm still not sure what I think about the entry fee.

4. If you do a 5K at Disney, be prepared for LONG character lines. There were 5 character stops, and all of the lines looked to be just as long as the one line I stood in...so if you're really dedicated that's 40 minutes just standing in lines.

5. There are official photographers along the race course, and participants get an email after the race with a link to purchase their photos. A single image download is $30 (!!) and a download of all of the images starts at $70...no video. I didn't buy mine.

Overall I really liked this race! The finisher medallion, which I really love, was a big draw for me. I think the only way I'll do the 5K again is if I'm not alone...it just makes these Disney races much more fun to run them with someone else!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 01-23-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #66
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

The Beauty of the Annual Pass

I was on the bus at about 7:45 and back at the Grand by 8. I checked in with Will, took a shower, jotted down some notes about the race and (overshare! ) laid out my 5K clothes to dry out. I felt very, VERY bad for the mousekeeper that had to deal with our room that weekend...we made sure to tip well. My last task before heading out to breakfast was to check my stuff for the half marathon the next morning. From one race to the other!

At about 9:45 I headed out to the monorail station...TTFN, awesome room!

You really cant beat the convenience of only having to go ONE monorail stop to get to the Magic Kingdom...awesome.

From here I headed down to the boat docks to catch a ride to the Wilderness Lodge! I love taking the little boats at Disney...so relaxing!

Once we stopped at the Lodge (10ish?) I headed straight for Roaring Forks...NOM!

It has fruit on it, so it must be healthy!

Yummmmm. SO good. Does it get any better than sitting outside at the Wilderness Lodge on a beautiful day eating specialty Mickey waffles (and drinking tons of water - hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!)? I think not. Too bad Will wasn't there to enjoy it as well.

By now I was texting back and forth with my mom a bit - she, my brother and aunt were en route from Jacksonville and were due to arrive at about noon, so I had an awkward amount of time to kill.

And this is the beauty of the annual pass (or any park-hopper, I guess)...gotta love being able to just pop into the Magic Kingdom for an hour or so at will!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 02-05-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #67
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

Those lines are awful!!! The characters were so cute in their special world showcase outfits, I can imagine it was hard to have to pass them by.
I think the only way I would do the 5k would be if my kids really wanted to do it with me, though that medal is really cute!

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #68
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Solo morning in the Magic Kingdom!

Since we were meeting at the Grand anyway I figured a slow, relaxed journey up and down Main Street was the perfect way to close out my morning. My first stop was to meet the big guy himself.

Now, last year my one and only to-do after the marathon was to get a picture with Mickey. I'd heard great stories of character interactions with runners after races, and let me tell you, in 2012 dude was NOT pumped to see my marathon medal. But this year he totally made up for it! I was wearing my 5K shirt, and as soon as Mickey saw me he jumped up and down, clapping and pumping his fists. He made a running gesture to me and a motion like he was clicking a camera to the CM/photopass. And here's what we got! Yay!

Ta-daaa!

After meeting the mouse, I headed out to Main Street and got caught up in Move It, Shake It...etc. etc.

And I just kind of slowly headed up and down Main Street...browsed the shops a bit and stared at the castle (because that's what you do in the Magic Kingdom ), briefly wondered if the castle's Christmas lights were still up (it looked like they were), and then headed back out.

This is basically how my (very limited) park time was on this trip. Small chunks here and there...definitely a BIG downside of these race weekends.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 02-05-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #69
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
Those lines are awful!!! The characters were so cute in their special world showcase outfits, I can imagine it was hard to have to pass them by.
I think the only way I would do the 5k would be if my kids really wanted to do it with me, though that medal is really cute!
I know! I was so bummed. Oh well, at least I got SOME pictures of them...even if I'm not in them.

I'm with you on the 5K...I didn't even sign up for it until they released the concept art for the finisher medallion. It seemed like it would be really fun for parents and kids to do together though!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #70
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

What a great way to spend post-race!!! Those waffles sure do look yummy! I had no idea WL had those there, so I may have to give them a try sometime! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Mickey pic and I'm so glad it made up for 2012! I don't think you could have spent your morning any better!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #71
leopardmickeyears
The Lost Princess

"It has fruit on it, so it must be healthy!"

That has to be one of the smartest things I've ever heard.

MICKEY WAFFLES

YAY for running pose Mickey
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #72
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

Love the Mickey shot. We also went to see him post marathon for a picture and he was great. Did running motions to us and high fives although our picture with him is far more boring than yours. Great job!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #73
pxefig
Mouseketeer

I couldn't participate in the "guess the resort" portion of your trip report festivities since I saw the PTR, but the shots with the bed spreads totally gave it away! Or maybe I just have a weird fetish that I can identify a resort by the bed spread alone ...?

I think Goofy was the right line to wait in. I have always wanted my picture with Colonial Goofy. I thought for sure it would be a home run when I did the Liberty Tree character dinner back when they still had that, but it was more of a Colonial peasant Goofy than military soldier. I guess I prefer my Goofy men in uniform!

And not to thread jack, but since it was mentioned in your PTR, I have since officially signed up for the Dumbo Double Dare, so I guess instead of being a dope I can be a Dumbo instead. Definitely a step up!
Old 01-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #74
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
"It has fruit on it, so it must be healthy!"

That has to be one of the smartest things I've ever heard.

MICKEY WAFFLES

YAY for running pose Mickey
That's my mantra, for anything. It's got fruit, it's healthy

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #75
Laracroft72
All things Disney Lover

I am loving your TR! I hope to someday run the 1/2 or the 5k. I feel like I am right there with you, great perspective.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: