Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #196
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Hope you're feeling better!

I read a story about the guy who won where he said his goal is to win ten times. Wasn't this year like his third consecutive win, or something like that? Mad props to him- what a beast!

First off, your villain picture is awesome! Hahaha, love your tough,
'villainess' look! My sister loves Scar, and always thinks he's under-appreciated in the parks so I'll have to show her that he was in the background!

Also, I'm actually pretty jealous that you met the Christmas people. I've never done Christmas at WDW but I have the Disney Christmas sing-along tape and I distinctly remember the tall reindeer dancing around in the background. Would love to get a picture of myself with them one day just for the nostalgia, haha!

Hope you weren't sweatin' it too much about the time (figuratively ) After all, you're running in Disney! Don't wanna pass up on the fun stuff!

Can't wait to hear how the rest of your double digit miles go!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (ASMu)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
Old 02-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #197
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB View Post
Glad to see your report resume. It's been a rough respiratory season for sure, so feel better soon.

I was telling my husband I may write up a trip report myself just because I was thinking it would give me a record to help remember details that I'll forget otherwise. Your reports are a great inspiration.
Thanks...I'm being a giant baby about the whole thing.

I'm SO glad I have everything written down from the races I've done at Disney, otherwise I wouldn't remember anything. I bet if you write stuff down you'll be glad you did in a few years or whatever. It's fun to look back on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
Hope you're feeling better!

I read a story about the guy who won where he said his goal is to win ten times. Wasn't this year like his third consecutive win, or something like that? Mad props to him- what a beast!

First off, your villain picture is awesome! Hahaha, love your tough,
'villainess' look! My sister loves Scar, and always thinks he's under-appreciated in the parks so I'll have to show her that he was in the background!

Also, I'm actually pretty jealous that you met the Christmas people. I've never done Christmas at WDW but I have the Disney Christmas sing-along tape and I distinctly remember the tall reindeer dancing around in the background. Would love to get a picture of myself with them one day just for the nostalgia, haha!

Hope you weren't sweatin' it too much about the time (figuratively ) After all, you're running in Disney! Don't wanna pass up on the fun stuff!

Can't wait to hear how the rest of your double digit miles go!
Thanks, I am feeling better...although today I jogged to make it to a meeting on time and coughed for, like, 10 minutes afterward. The ol' respiratory system isn't quite back to normal just yet.

The guy who won...I think he got beat last year by like 7 seconds. But I did hear what you heard about him wanting to win 10. I bet he'll do it!

I LOOOOVE the villains picture. I tried to vary my character poses a bit more this year, so thank you for noticing my tough look. I thought it was so clever that they had Scar in there! I think that's the only place I've seen him...

The Christmas meet was probably the biggest surprise of the race...someone else told me I should print that picture and make it into an ornament. Fabulous idea!

Don't worry, I wasn't too focused on the time...like, the thought was there but I wasn't going to pass up a character I really wanted because of it. I know better than that!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #198
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

2013 Walt Disney World Marathon! The pain begins...

Mile Marker 11 is right by the water treatment plant...mmm lovely.

("You're a rocket ship!" made me LOL.)

I stopped for a quick meet with Wendy and Peter (ate more Gu chomps while in line) just before Mile Marker 12...

And here, right before the halfway point, is where I remember starting to have problems that came on very suddenly. I'd been concerned about the heat but I seemed to be dealing with that just fine thanks to the sunscreen, well-stocked water stops, and (I assume) having drank so much in the days leading up to the races. However now my quads were starting to feel really sore...this always happens to me during long races, so I was expecting it but it still didn't feel great. (Any other runners out there know how to combat this??? )

But the biggest problem for me that day was my feet. All of a sudden it felt like both of them were cramping up, and it was so incredibly painful. I've had foot pain before from running, from the pounding I guess, but never this bad. I'd even done Goofy "dress rehearsals" during training (running back-to-back 9-/18-milers and 10-/16-milers, etc.) where this didn't happen...and now here it was, and it stuck with me throughout the rest of the race. With every step my feet BURNED. My best guess is that, among other things, now I was finally paying for not having stayed off of my feet in the days leading up to the races. In talking to other running friends it also sounds like low sodium could have caused this, so I need to look into that for future Goofys. And, ya know, last I checked feet are pretty important when it comes to running...so this was a problem.

After registering that I was definitely in some pain I also quickly figured out that walk breaks - and stopping - were bad ideas. Neither helped my feet all that much (though at least when I stopped I could alternate standing on one, then the other, to give them a break), but getting myself to run again was incredibly hard. My quads were now so sore that whenever I tried to get myself to start to run again after walking or stopping for a photo it felt like I couldn't actually bend my legs at first because they had quickly tightened up. It felt like I had to waddle for the first few steps until they loosened up enough so that I could run normally again. Sitting down for a break was also out of the question - who knew if I'd be able to get back up?

I went over all of this in my head very quickly and accepted that the only option was to just keep moving...I was going to need to limit any remaining walking/stopping. The thought of not taking many walk breaks for the remainder of the race totally freaked me out, but it really seemed like the best course of action, and as a result *SPOILER ALERT* I actually ended up negative-splitting the marathon (running the second half faster than the first half).

It was actually a somewhat decent time to start feeling crappy because we were finally about to enter another park! Woohoo!

I ran past some CMs that were holding animal friends, the most noteworthy being the giant snake that runners would drape across their shoulders for photo-ops. I felt bad for the snake having to deal with the sweat. Next I went past Jiminy Cricket, Rafiki and Terk (have met all before) backstage before entering Animal Kingdom! This part came later in the race last year (mile 16?) and had been open to guests...so it was weird to run through an empty park this year.

This was a great park to run through because of all of the SHADE, but I could definitely see how the designs stamped in to the concrete could trip people up.

Smiling even though my feet huuuuuuurt:

Approaching the mountain...

One awesome thing I have read about is how runners will leap off of the marathon course to take a spin on Everest. Apparently guests and Cast Members let runners enter through the fastpass area of the queue so that they can hop on the ride and get off quickly. After not doing this last year Craig and I agreed that riding Everest during the race was on the top of our must-do list this year - how often does one get to ride a roller coaster in the middle of the marathon? Then the course changed, and I figured there was a good chance we'd be in Animal Kingdom before the park opened, so we bagged the idea.

Now that I was actually here I knew there was no way I was going to challenge the (disco) yeti this morning. We were only about 10 minutes from park opening, but with how I was feeling I just did not want to take those extra 10 minutes (15-20 total once the ride was done)...plus there was a distinct possibility that I wouldn't be able to sit down in/get up from the train, and what if I did ride the ride and was totally spent afterward? So it didn't happen. I think it was the right decision, but I do kind of regret not doing it.

Folks waiting in line for the ride to open (you can see that the clock reads 8:52 AM):

The course continued on into Dinoland and I saw a photo-op that I wanted to stop for. Yes I'd have to waddle for a bit afterward, but there was no way I was going to pass up a picture with the ladies:

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 02-08-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #199
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Sorry that you're starting to hurt! My feet hurt so bad starting at mile 16 - I am thinking it was from walking around the parks the previous two days, as well as running on all that pavement (I did all long runs on a trail). (It also didn't help that I looked at my watch at mile 16 - I was already out on the course longer than my 20 mile training run. Damn sickness).

Keep up the good work!
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #200
DancinDaisyDuck
Nothing left for me to do but dance

That sounds so painful! I don't know how I am going to resist wandering around the parks before the race next year, it's so hard to stay away! But I'm hoping that by staying Deluxe there will be more to do at the resort to take my mind off park time. I'm still getting park tickets just to take advantage of dining in the parks and touring on Saturday and Sunday. The real test will be Thursday and Friday, lol.
One Short Day in the Magic Kingdom: March 2007, South By Southwest: October 2007, June 2008 BFF Trip, Five Cougars and a Mouse: October 2009, Sisters in the World: March 2010, October 2012 Semi-solo adventure

Old 02-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #201
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

Oh no, not foot pain at the half way point! Good job on the negative split though. I didn't see the snake - not that I would have done that! Did you see the super cute donkey with the "Keep Hoofin' It" blanket on? I stopped with him, so adorable!
Remember the Pocahontas/John Smith/Meeko stop just before AK? The woman in front of me in that line just started gushing to Pocahontas how she was her most favorite princess, what an honor to meet her, such an inspiration, etc etc. The woman was genuinely star-struck! I guess the heat and the miles make us all a little giddy

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #202
garneska
Mouseketeer

I had foot pain too!

My feet were aching at 14. By 16 I was pretty miserable, I could feel the heat and my feet were swollen and ached. I think the heat was causing it, but I also lost 8 weeks of training for goofy due to a stress fracture. I only had 3 weeks of training prior to marathon weekend. I have run Goofy before and never had that issue. Hope someone solves the mystery.

BTW, Love the trip report. I read your training log but i did stop while i was injured. It was very hard to go to the boards when i was not running. Once i was back to running, your training log helped me. I just knew i could do it just not as fast as i would like.

Goofy Finisher 2010 2011 2012 2013 and 2014
Mickey Finisher 2003 (yes i said 2003) 2008 and 2009
Donald Finisher 2007
Disneyland Half Marathon 2010 and 2012
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #203
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

My feet were a real problem too. Strange so many of us had the problem. We did do AK on Saturday but tried to keep our walking to a minimum. My feet really started to bother me around mile 18 or so and never let up.

Expedition Everest was open and no wait for runners when we passed by but the ride makes DH sick so no go for us. :-(
Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #204
beachta1
Mouseketeer

I'm curious... Why did you carry your phone in your hand wrapped in a paper towel? And what did you use to take pictures along the way?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #205
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808 View Post
Sorry that you're starting to hurt! My feet hurt so bad starting at mile 16 - I am thinking it was from walking around the parks the previous two days, as well as running on all that pavement (I did all long runs on a trail). (It also didn't help that I looked at my watch at mile 16 - I was already out on the course longer than my 20 mile training run. Damn sickness).

Keep up the good work!
Yeah, it was not good. I guess it was probably unrealistic to expect that I would make it through the entire weekend pain-free...though that was certainly my hope. I've had foot pain before but never quite like it was that day. I did all of my long runs on concrete so you think I would have been used to it...

I feel so bad that you were so sick during your race! You're a trooper for toughing it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinDaisyDuck View Post
That sounds so painful! I don't know how I am going to resist wandering around the parks before the race next year, it's so hard to stay away! But I'm hoping that by staying Deluxe there will be more to do at the resort to take my mind off park time. I'm still getting park tickets just to take advantage of dining in the parks and touring on Saturday and Sunday. The real test will be Thursday and Friday, lol.
I know! I mean...you know you're SUPPOSED to take it easy, but you are in Disney after all, soooo...??? Walking around a lot beforehand wasn't a problem for me when I did the Princess Half or marathon before though...just this year for Goofy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
Oh no, not foot pain at the half way point! Good job on the negative split though. I didn't see the snake - not that I would have done that! Did you see the super cute donkey with the "Keep Hoofin' It" blanket on? I stopped with him, so adorable!
Remember the Pocahontas/John Smith/Meeko stop just before AK? The woman in front of me in that line just started gushing to Pocahontas how she was her most favorite princess, what an honor to meet her, such an inspiration, etc etc. The woman was genuinely star-struck! I guess the heat and the miles make us all a little giddy
The snake was sort of at the end of the line of animals...!! Now that you mention it I do remember seeing the donkey! What a little cutie. I know I saw other animals but I don't remember specifically what they were, if that makes sense. Things were getting cloudy at that point!

That's so funny about that lady and Pocahontas! "Giddy" is a nice way to put it. Things were getting nuts out there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by garneska View Post
My feet were aching at 14. By 16 I was pretty miserable, I could feel the heat and my feet were swollen and ached. I think the heat was causing it, but I also lost 8 weeks of training for goofy due to a stress fracture. I only had 3 weeks of training prior to marathon weekend. I have run Goofy before and never had that issue. Hope someone solves the mystery.

BTW, Love the trip report. I read your training log but i did stop while i was injured. It was very hard to go to the boards when i was not running. Once i was back to running, your training log helped me. I just knew i could do it just not as fast as i would like.
Wow, just 3 weeks of training?! Congrats on making it through!

In talking to other people I've gotten a few guesses as to why this happened...low sodium levels (take salt caps to help this I guess?), lack of potassium, etc. I just don't know! A certain amount of swelling is normal I think (that's why people sometimes buy a size up in shoes) but I know for some people it was a whole other level of swelling that day. I'm sure the heat played a big part for everyone.

And thanks for reading the report and my training log! I'm glad it helped you. I totally know what you mean about avoiding the boards at certain times. I won't log on for weeks if I'm in that post-Disney depression, and since I'm most likely not running at Disney at all next year I can see myself avoiding the WISH section altogether. I hope you're completely recovered from your stress fracture...happy running!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB View Post
My feet were a real problem too. Strange so many of us had the problem. We did do AK on Saturday but tried to keep our walking to a minimum. My feet really started to bother me around mile 18 or so and never let up.

Expedition Everest was open and no wait for runners when we passed by but the ride makes DH sick so no go for us. :-(
Blech, more feet pain! The heat must have been a big culprite...a combination of dehydration and loss of electrolytes? Potassium, sodium?? Ack. I'm going to try to research this...don't want it to happen again!

I find that each time I come off of Everest I feel a little more rattled than I did the previous year (and that's just on a normal day...not during the marathon), so I can totally understand why your husband avoids it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
I'm curious... Why did you carry your phone in your hand wrapped in a paper towel? And what did you use to take pictures along the way?
Okay, so the skirt I was wearing has 3 pockets - 1 on each leg of the shorts and a big one with a zipper at the waist. When I got the skirt in the mail there was a note suggesting that if I was going to carry my phone in a pocket that I should wrap it in a paper towel and then seal it in a ziploc bag to protect it from sweat. I mentioned this somewhere else and another person chimed in that he DID NOT do anything like this with his phone, which was in his pocket for the Tower of Terror 10-miler, and due to the humidity/sweat his phone screen now looks permanently foggy. After hearing that I wasn't taking any chances. Then I went on a few test runs in the skirt with the phone wrapped and ziploc-ed up, and no matter what pocket I put it in (waist or leg pockets) I felt like my skirt was falling down. The pockets are fine for gels, chomps, etc. but I guess the phone was too heavy, so I just carried it. When I run races at home I leave my phone in the car and really would have preferred to just leave it in my room for these Disney races, but now I had to coordinate meeting people on the course/after the race. I didn't mind keeping it in the bag because I knew I wasn't going to use it for pictures.

So the phone was in one hand...in my other hand I carried a point-and-shoot camera (this one...except that it wasn't this expensive when I bought it! ). I made sure to have the strap around my wrist at all times so I wouldn't drop it. I've used this camera for 5 races now and it's held up very well, so I wasn't worried about how it would handle the sweat...the phone (which is a brand new iPhone that I got in September, and I didn't pay for insurance on it) was another story. I have a decent case for it and a screen protector, but I didn't feel like that would be enough to protect it from sweat. I babied the crap out of that thing.

I wish the skirt pockets would have worked out a bit better and that I could have kept the phone and camera in those pockets, but carrying the stuff in my hands just isn't that annoying to me. I think it helped that I had something in each hand to sort of balance it out, and pretty soon after I started running I didn't really think about carrying stuff at all. I carried both in my hands for the half and full (for the 5K I just took the camera) and it was fine.

Haha sorry, that was probably MUCH more than you wanted to know!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #206
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear about the pain! I know I under-trained for my first half and was in a lot of pain by mile 11. You're right- the best thing to do is just keep moving! Glad you ended up with a negative split, though!

I love hearing how Disney caters especially to the runners, by letting them do things like cut the lines for rides if they wanna hop off the course. Sounds like fun!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (ASMu)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #207
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

2013 Walt Disney World Marathon! Miles 13-16

We left Animal Kingdom and were finally at about the halfway point of the marathon, and two-thirds Goofy!

Half split: 13.1 miles in 3:09:36, average pace of 14:28/mile. Estimated finish time of 6:19:10 (12:09PM).

This is another course change that I didn't like so much. On the old course we were in Animal Kingdom for miles 16-17, which was a nice boost so late in the race. Today we were gone from the park and only at the halfway point with almost 10 miles to go until the next park. I'm such a crab.

After leaving the AK we ran past the entrance and toward the parking lot. The course was super narrow here but there was great spectator support.

Mickey and Pluto were out for photos in front of Mickey's Jammin' Jungle float...they had a pretty decent line so I passed them up since I got a photo with Jammin' Jungle Mickey last year.

Then it was past Mile Marker 14...

...and time for what I've seen others call the Highway March of Death. This was a 2-3 mile straight shot down Osceola Parkway toward the Wide World of Sports and it was AWFUL. This was my least favorite area of the course last year too (it came later...miles 18-20 I think). It's just boring highway, out in the sun, and unfortunately it seems to keep popping up in a few Disney race courses. And despite the fact that my legs kept moving the entire time, for a brief, fleeting second, I just wanted to be done. Physically I wasn't feeling any worse than I had been before - actually, except for my quads screaming at me and the desire to get a feet transplant I felt surprisingly great - but mentally I momentarily lost it. I wanted to find a bus, stagger up the steps, stick my legs in giant ice buckets and not have to do this anymore. I don't know if that was me technically "hitting the wall" because I never actually stopped running (yes, I was still running at that point...like I said, the feet and quads were dunzo but everything else was good), but it was certainly the first time I'd ever thought about quitting a race at Disney. I knew I was never actually going to drop out of the race though, and the thought left my mind almost as soon as it had arrived.

After mile 14 we approached some Haunted Mansion gravediggers. They had the same photo-op set up as last year, where the gravediggers posed next to gravestones and runners would lie on the ground to get their photo taken. And just like last year, there was no way I was laying on the ground. I would need some serious assistance to get back up. So I cautiously approached one of the grave diggers not posing near the gravestones. We had a brief stare-down and I held up my camera and meekly asked, "Smile?" This is what I got:

Pretty.

Continuing along the highway...please note the guy behind the mile marker stretching his calves. Another runner approached him and was like, "Don’t jump! You have so much to live for!" I definitely appreciated any little moment of humor I could get at that point.

By now I was back to auto-pilot mode...I don't remember feeling sad or discouraged or happy or anything. My mind was blank once again, which I think was helping me to ignore the pain in my feet. I was just all-business and wanted to get it done, and I felt like I was still running at a somewhat decent pace...but then...

When there's trouble you call D-W!!...

...*quads seize up...waddle waddle*...

Okay, back to normal-ish running.

Up next were some trampolinists. I was hoping for a cool action shot similar to this one from the 2011 Princess Half:

I stopped and waited for the chick on the trampoline to start doing something cool. This is what she gave me:

Umm thanks, but not quite what I was looking for. I can do that, give me a cool back flip or something!

And the march continued on...

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 02-11-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #208
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
Sorry to hear about the pain! I know I under-trained for my first half and was in a lot of pain by mile 11. You're right- the best thing to do is just keep moving! Glad you ended up with a negative split, though!

I love hearing how Disney caters especially to the runners, by letting them do things like cut the lines for rides if they wanna hop off the course. Sounds like fun!
"Just keep moving" is definitely the way to go! And yeah, the negative split was a pleasant surprise...I'm sure it helped that there wasn't another Mickey and Minnie-sized line to wait in during the second half of the race.

It is definitely cool about runners getting to cut the line on Everest...not just that Disney is okay with it, but that other guests are as well. Very neat.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #209
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
"Just keep moving" is definitely the way to go! And yeah, the negative split was a pleasant surprise...I'm sure it helped that there wasn't another Mickey and Minnie-sized line to wait in during the second half of the race.

It is definitely cool about runners getting to cut the line on Everest...not just that Disney is okay with it, but that other guests are as well. Very neat.
Are the guests cool with runners jumping the character greet lines as well? I'd hope so but I could see how some people might get testy.

In regards to miles 13-16...

That's rough. 2-3 boring miles in the sun that far into the race? I give you some serious credit for trekking through! I'm glad to see that people were having fun with it (like your blurb about someone telling the guy not to jump, haha!) I love the friendship between runners!

I don't blame you for not wanting to climb into the grave. The picture of the grave digger is hilarious! Definitely a keeper!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #210
steph0808
Mouseketeer

OMG! You got Darkwing Duck?! No way!!!

But, when I got there - it was Launchpad McQuack - who I absolutely adore (even more than Darkwing!). DuckTales, woohoo! I am still so flipping excited about him (I have my picture with him as my Facebook profile pic!)!

So when I missed Scrooge McDuck after the race (he switched out with Daisy - boo, got her and Safari Minnie during the race), I was pissed because DuckTales is my favorite - and I still am pissed! I am seriously contemplating next year's marathon just to get Scrooge.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: