Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #151
nnjamison
Earning My Ears

Love love following along! And you and the hubs are adorbs!

1st Visit '87 off site and just a tyke
2nd Visit '92 FL resident off site
3rd Visit '05 POR disneymoon
4th Visit '12 CBR the kiddos 1st visit
5th Visit in the WORKS for '14 !!

Me DH DD (11) DD (6)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #152
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgm2012 View Post
Hi Shannon! Thanks for more great TR updates! Oh and thanks for waving the running wand and granting me "runner" status! LOL...

I think it's awesome how well you felt coming off of the 1/2 portion.

Looking forward to reading the rest

gina
Haha, you're welcome!

Yeah, except for feeling tired from...you know...the 3AM wake-up call I really felt pretty good!

Thanks for reading!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxefig View Post
And this concludes your extensive six-week training program!
Now that song is in my head. Thanks (I'm not sure if I'm being sarcastic or not... "But Main Street's still all cracked and broken/Sorry Mom, the mob has spoken)
I love your shot of Mickey at the crossroads of the world. I want to steal it and make it my Facebook cover photo!
In the Delicious Disney Cookbook there is a recipe for the Ohana bread pudding that tastes exactly like Disney's version. Which impresses me, because I rarely have that good of a result when I try Disney recipes at home.
Starring Rolls will always have a special place in my heart. I went to WDW when I was pregnant with my third pretty much because I wanted grapefruit cake. That's why I boarded a plane and saw the mouse- for that cake. But they didn't have any at Starring Rolls and I hadn't been able to get an ADR at BD. The poor cashier was slightly freaked out by a hungry pregnant woman dealing with no cake disappointment and he walked over to BD and stole a piece of grapefruit cake for me. And it was everything I had hoped it would be.
You're welcome.

"True or false: You can get mono from riding the monorail."
"False...no wait! True."

Whenever we take the monorail at Disney we always sing "Monoraaaaail, monoraaaaaail, monorail...monorail! Mono-d'oh!" And since we stayed on the monorail this time we sang it a lot more than normal...we're cool kids.

Thanks for the compliment on the photo...steal away!

Congrats on recreating the bread pudding! The only Disney recipe I've tried at home was the Jiko mac and cheese...3 attempts, 3 spectacular failures. My Disney cooking confidence is shot.

So funny about the grapefruit cake! I'm glad the CM got it for you, sounds like it was turning into a dire situtation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjamison View Post
Love love following along! And you and the hubs are adorbs!
Thank you! And thanks for reading!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #153
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

I am with you on the shirt sizing. My "small" shirt is enormous on me - it really wouldn't be that hard to do women's fit shirts. I forgot that the men had their own separate fit shirt for the Princess. Not cool Disney!
Your tonga toast and that cupcake both look amazing! I might try cooking up the tonga toast sometime. We have actually had pretty good success replicating disney food at home.
Love the animation academy too! For some reason, we keep getting either Minnie or Donald. Love them, but I really want to draw somebody else sometime
So glad your reservation at Ohana worked out. It must have been hard to hold back and not stuff yourself too much!

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #154
DancinDaisyDuck
Nothing left for me to do but dance

MMMMM, Kona and 'Ohana all in the same day! Glad you got that nap in and had some leisurely time in Hollywood Studios. A good way to wind down after the morning.

Excited to read about the full marathon next!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #155
leopardmickeyears
The Lost Princess

First, LOVE the title.. FEED ME! Those are precisely my thoughts after a long run

And the Poly! YES!

TONGA TOAST!! I love that picture too! It's PERFECT

Those first two pictures going to DHS are gorgeous too

I knew it had to be the red velvet cupcake. This was a good day of food (in my opinion) and well deserved

that being said...AND 'OHANA!?!

panicky-hungry...I know exactly that feeling..just never saw a name for it

Aww no food pics :/
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #156
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

Oh I definitely know that panic-hungry feeling. I have low blood sugar so when I start feeling that way, I'm stressed and worried.

I'm loving all these pictures. I did the Princess half last year and am planning on the half next year.

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #157
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
I am with you on the shirt sizing. My "small" shirt is enormous on me - it really wouldn't be that hard to do women's fit shirts. I forgot that the men had their own separate fit shirt for the Princess. Not cool Disney!
Your tonga toast and that cupcake both look amazing! I might try cooking up the tonga toast sometime. We have actually had pretty good success replicating disney food at home.
Love the animation academy too! For some reason, we keep getting either Minnie or Donald. Love them, but I really want to draw somebody else sometime
So glad your reservation at Ohana worked out. It must have been hard to hold back and not stuff yourself too much!
Yeah, I think I definitely could have gone with an XS. Oh well.

The Tonga Toast and cupcake WERE amazing! For a shorter trip we managed to get lots of good food.

So far at Animation Academy we have gotten Pluto, Minnie and Chip. I have heard that sometimes they will do a really obscure character, i.e. Ray from Princess and the Frog. Sounds like you haven't gotten much variety though!

I'm glad we got to 'Ohana too...it's not our top favorite but it's up there. It was SOOOO hard not to inhale everything!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinDaisyDuck View Post
MMMMM, Kona and 'Ohana all in the same day! Glad you got that nap in and had some leisurely time in Hollywood Studios. A good way to wind down after the morning.

Excited to read about the full marathon next!
Originally when we booked this trip we were staying at the Polynesian and I was so excited to have great restaurants RIGHT THERE...so at least with the resort move they were only a monorail/boat ride away. And the nap was a must...I just hit the wall after ToT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardmickeyears View Post
First, LOVE the title.. FEED ME! Those are precisely my thoughts after a long run

And the Poly! YES!

TONGA TOAST!! I love that picture too! It's PERFECT

Those first two pictures going to DHS are gorgeous too

I knew it had to be the red velvet cupcake. This was a good day of food (in my opinion) and well deserved

that being said...AND 'OHANA!?!

panicky-hungry...I know exactly that feeling..just never saw a name for it

Aww no food pics :/
Thanks for the kind words on the pictures.

You know, you're right...that WAS a good day of food. I don't know if we'll ever top that one! YUM. I want to do it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyParrothead View Post
Oh I definitely know that panic-hungry feeling. I have low blood sugar so when I start feeling that way, I'm stressed and worried.

I'm loving all these pictures. I did the Princess half last year and am planning on the half next year.
Panicky hunger is the worst. I got that a lot in the latter weeks of marathon training...

Didn't you LOVE the Princess Half? I think that one still ranks as the most fun race I have done. You'll like the half too...same course!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #158
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Day 4: Sunday, January 13, 2013

2013 Walt Disney World Marathon! Arrival and Start

In the weeks leading up to Marathon Weekend I can truthfully say that I wasn't ever nervous about completing all of the races. No, the thing that freaked me out was knowing that I would have to wake up at insane times of the "morning" three days in a row. So it was quite a relief to wake up on time on Sunday and not have to worry about it anymore.

Once I was up I did the same routine as the previous 2 days - turned off alarms, took the wake-up call, got dressed, sunscreen'd up, etc. - and left the room by 3:15. Now that the waking up part was over, for the first time I started to get really nervous about actually completing the marathon. Physically I felt fine (no soreness or anything) and I think I knew I could do it...but despite how many times I told myself, "it's just running...it's just running..." I couldn't calm myself down.

It sounds ridiculous - because seriously IT'S JUST RUNNING - but by the time I caught the monorail to the TTC (3:20) I was actually shaking a little bit. I kept trying to figure out what exactly I was scared of  running alone? Hitting the wall? Feeling sore at some point? The heat (which wasn't a big deal during the half because I'd finished by 9AM...but today I'd probably be out there until noon and it was already 63 degrees with 98% humidity at the start)? - but I could never really pinpoint exactly what it was so that I could talk myself down.

We switched monorails and I was on the second one by 3:30 (luckily it was another quiet ride). Again I saw the Magic Kingdom lit up, the pirate ship, and mile marker 26 in Epcot. This was really happening.

Our monorail arrived at Epcot by 3:40. I made a *REAL*bathroom stop again and headed to the start area. Walking helped calm my nerves a little bit, but just like before the 5K I had trouble getting part of my breakfast (a granola bar) down. It actually almost came right back up at one point. Ugh.

I got to the starting area and immediately headed to the lettered tents for a 4AM meet-up with some folks from another message board that I belong to...fun!

We waited around for about 20 minutes to try to catch any other board members, but after the weirdness with getting people to the corrals the previous morning I decided I wanted to start heading over. I also decided that being alone wasn't going to help my nerves any, so I asked a couple of my new board friends if I could tag along like a little lost puppy since they were in Corral C as well. They kindly allowed me to hang out with them!

We parted ways with the other board members and made our way to the corrals. The Fairy Godmother was out for pictures along the way, which was different...I'd never seen a character out before the race NOT in the holding/Family Reunion area.

The three of us made it to Corral C at about 5:10.

Once we were in the corrals and the start was getting closer the nerves were starting to kick in a bit more. By now I found that the best way to get that nervous energy out was to "dance" (which for me is just bouncing up and down and pumping my arms stupidly) and sort of babble. Kind of awkward considering that I was hanging out with people I'd just met in person for the first time, but that's how it goes.

Just before the race start at 5:30, another Disney vocalist sang the National Anthem...I think he was the best of the 3 over the weekend. The wheelchair racers started, then Corral A, then Corral B. We inched closer to the start.

Finally it was our turn to start running at 5:47. 3 2 1 GOOOOO!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 01-31-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #159
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

2013 Walt Disney World Marathon! Mile 1-5

Just like the half, the first couple of miles were crowded and humid.

And when I say that the first portion of the course was exactly the same as the half, I don't just mean the route...lots of the character meets (Jack and Sally, pirates, etc...I don't think Chip and Dale were out at the Speedway) and entertainment (flags) were identical to the previous day's, which I had kind of expected...but it was a bit of a letdown.

I don't remember much about those first few miles. I'd seen it all the previous day and for the most part I think my mind just went blank. But what I do remember was feeling surprisingly lonely. Normally I am super independent but I missed running with my brother...wahhhh!

There were lots of spectators at the TTC again...and just like the previous day the *real* bathroom lines were too long. Boo!

Mile Marker 4 was in the TTC...time for half a bag of Gu Chomps.

And back under the Contemporary water bridge. Poorly lit and narrow here, just like during the half.

Almost to the MK!

The splits are a little different for the marathon compared to the half...here my first split was sent out: 5 miles in 59:27, average pace of 11:53/mile. Estimated finish time of 5:11:41 (11:02AM). Gee, that would be a somewhat decent finish time, wouldn't it?

Wheeeee!

(This is the one official photo I purchased from the weekend...not impressed with the photos overall but this one makes me laugh!)

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 02-05-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #160
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

Sorry I missed seeing you in corral C before the marathon. It definitely helps to pass the time and take your mind off things to chat with people before the race. I randomly ran into some people that I knew from the gym and it really helped eased my nerves to talk with them waiting for the race to start.

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #161
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

Woohoo! Great start for the Full! I'm sorry that you felt so nervous and then so lonely! I'm glad that your message board friends let you hang with them until the start!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #162
thebyrdwoman
Earning My Ears

Absolutely LOVING this TR

Can't wait to hear how the rest of the Marathon goes -- hopefully your brother made it out to cheer you on!

And eating at Kona AND Ohana in the same day?! Lucky lucky lady!

Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #163
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
Sorry I missed seeing you in corral C before the marathon. It definitely helps to pass the time and take your mind off things to chat with people before the race. I randomly ran into some people that I knew from the gym and it really helped eased my nerves to talk with them waiting for the race to start.
Me too! I'm glad each of us ran into people that we knew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAFan0829 View Post
Woohoo! Great start for the Full! I'm sorry that you felt so nervous and then so lonely! I'm glad that your message board friends let you hang with them until the start!
Yeah, I'm super independent so I wasn't expecting to feel lonely like that. It was weird. I guess I'm just not used to it at these longer Disney races because my brother is normally with me and he TALKS. Like, a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebyrdwoman View Post
Absolutely LOVING this TR

Can't wait to hear how the rest of the Marathon goes -- hopefully your brother made it out to cheer you on!

And eating at Kona AND Ohana in the same day?! Lucky lucky lady!
Thank you, and welcome!

**SPOILER ALERT: Yes, my brother did make it out to cheer me on...and took video!

Beginning and ending the day eating at the Polynesian was AWESOME. I totally need to do that again.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #164
DancinDaisyDuck
Nothing left for me to do but dance

Oh my gosh, just looking at that route map makes my feet hurt. Sorry you were running solo and missing your brother

That picture of you is adorable!

I was beginning to wonder why you had reservations at the Poly like that! I should have booked a night there on my last trip- I booked 'Ohana dinner one night and Kona breakfast the next morning. Would have cut my travel time down significantly!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #165
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

I'm still so completely amazed that you did all of these races! You are a pure BEAST! I am concerned about being lonely for the Princess half. I think you were doing awesome, though!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: