Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #136
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyq0626 View Post
Coming out of lurkdom... Great job on hitting your time goal on the half! Thanks for all of the details. I had baby number 3 a few months ago and just started slowly getting back into shape again. I've been thinking about trying to train for one of the Disney half marathons for next year so I'm loving all of this info. Thanks! Can't wait to read how the marathon was!
Welcome, and thank you! Congratulations on baby #3!!!

Sounds like a great goal...I hope you get to run one! Good luck with your training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
First of all, great job finishing the half with a better time. I hate your brother would be unable to do the full marathon. I can see how difficult that would be without the proper training. Thank you for your report, and it's nice to see you with such big smiles at the end. It's unfortunate that racer ettiquite was so poor. I had heard some of that on the Mickey Miles podcast and read it on the Princess Posse Facebook group and I'm disappointed. Read the directions, people!

Thank you again for sharing!
Thanks Amanda! Yeah, he was SUPER bummed about it, especially while watching the marathon. I'm hoping this will motivate him to train for and run Goofy with me in 2015 for the 10th anniversary.

Yeah, the etiquette stuff really did make it tough in a few places...there are just SO many people that run the half. I don't think it will be like that for the Princess.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #137
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

Great job beating your princess time! Too bad about your brother - maybe he learned a lesson about not training and will be more motivated next time!
I stopped for the Bert and Mary Poppins photo op on the full - I have never seen Bert out before in the parks, and I love MP . What a perfect movie.
I am looking forward to hear how the legs were feeling after the half...ready to take on the full the next day?

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #138
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
Great job beating your princess time! Too bad about your brother - maybe he learned a lesson about not training and will be more motivated next time!
I stopped for the Bert and Mary Poppins photo op on the full - I have never seen Bert out before in the parks, and I love MP . What a perfect movie.
I am looking forward to hear how the legs were feeling after the half...ready to take on the full the next day?
Thanks! He WAS busy this year - he's a RN so he has a crazy work schedule (3 12-hour days plus working at another part-time job) and is going to attend grad school, so he had some stuff going on with that (interviews, etc.). But he COULD have made it work...I think he just didn't because he'd gotten through a half and full separately with little training in the past, but somehow this year he was even LESS prepared. Who knows.

I kind of wish I'd stopped for MP and Bert. Oh well, maybe next time.

SPOILER ALERT: Legs felt great after the half! ...but would they stay that way???
Old 01-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #139
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

I also wished I'd stopped for Mary Poppins, but I was actually practically passed them before I realized who it was and the line was really long so I passed on it. Oh well, maybe next time.

DH and I are talking also about going Goofy in 2015 for the anniversary.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #140
DancinDaisyDuck
Nothing left for me to do but dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
Thank you! The elevation changes are really not that bad. I didn't do any hillwork when I was training, but my long run route did have a couple of decent-sized hills and I felt like I tackled the water bridge hill, overpass, etc. pretty well. The overpass isn't TOO bad...the elevation increases slowly but the big thing to watch out for there is the slope in the roads. It can kill your knees!

Here's what I was carrying during the race:
- Camera in one hand and iPhone (wrapped in paper towel and sealed in a ziploc baggie) in the other
- In shoe wallet (the black thing on top of my right shoe): $20 cash, Annual Pass, room key card and extra hair tie
- In pockets of my running skirt: Gu chomps (3 bags) and a small packet of tissues in case I came upon a porta-potty with no TP...

I probably could have made better use of the skirt pockets (there's a zip pocket at the waist and one on each leg of the compression shorts underneath the skirt) but if they get too loaded down with stuff I start to feel like the skirt is falling down. For the 2011 Princess Half and the 2012 WDW Marathon I used this Amphipod fuel belt and it did the job. I still had to carry my camera and I didn't take my phone with me - no way it would have fit in the belt - but it held my Gu, room key, etc. Whatever you decide to you make sure you PRACTICE with it ahead of time to make sure it feels right to you!
Thanks for the great info! Especially the link to your running skirt and I love the story of the company. I'm also a sucker for anything with the word Sparkle in the title. I'll definitely be ordering a skirt from there for the half!

Looking forward to reading more about how the rest of your day went. I hope you took a nap!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #141
camandjacksmom
Mouseketeer

Mary,Bert and the penguin were my second favorite of the race!! We stopped and it was the shortest of the race for us. It's crazy how a few minutes during the race can change how long the lines are!!

Me : DH DS(15) DS (11)

October 2014-TBD and Girls Cruise!!!January 2014-POR,January 2013-POR,September 2012-POR,February 2012- POR,June 2011-POR,October 2010- Off Site,January 2010- Off Site,June 2009-Disneyland,January 2009-Off Site,December 2008- Off Site,Dec 2007-Off Site,June 2001- Disneyland, May 2001- Fort Wilderness, Dec 1998-Disneyland
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #142
tehvalerie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
2013 Walt Disney World Half Marathon! Final Thoughts...but of the 5 Disney races I've run I think this is the most frustrating race experience I've had, and that is completely because of how crowded it was and the lack of runner etiquette on the course.
A friend of mine ran the half this year and said that night that she'd never do another Disney race because of this. Of course, we've since discussed going back next year!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #143
steph0808
Mouseketeer

I just want to say thanks for the push - I finally started my trip report on my blog!

Love reading yours! Can't wait to hear about the marathon!
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
Old 01-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #144
JessM
We all have a dream

Congrats on beating your princess time! I think you have convinced me to do the princess next year as my first half! Now to convince the BF... Haha. Can't wait to hear all about the marathon! Thank you for taking the time to put this together it's fun reading about your experiences!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #145
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB View Post
I also wished I'd stopped for Mary Poppins, but I was actually practically passed them before I realized who it was and the line was really long so I passed on it. Oh well, maybe next time.

DH and I are talking also about going Goofy in 2015 for the anniversary.
I think Mary and Bert have been out on the race courses in the past, so I'm sure you'll get another shot at them.

WOOHOO Goofy 2015! I haven't run that by the husband yet but I am hoping that it will work out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinDaisyDuck View Post
Thanks for the great info! Especially the link to your running skirt and I love the story of the company. I'm also a sucker for anything with the word Sparkle in the title. I'll definitely be ordering a skirt from there for the half!

Looking forward to reading more about how the rest of your day went. I hope you took a nap!
You're welcome! SparkleSkirts does come to the Disney race expos...EXCEPT for the Marathon Weekend one, because I think it's too expensive for them to get a booth. The skirts are pricey but they are AWESOME - the shorts don't ride up at all and the pockets are great. Really good customer service too...I cannot recommend them enough. Even though they don't come to the WDW Marathon Weekend expo they hand-delivered skirts to people at their Disney resorts. They are awesome!

Yep, I did take a nap. It was awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by camandjacksmom View Post
Mary,Bert and the penguin were my second favorite of the race!! We stopped and it was the shortest of the race for us. It's crazy how a few minutes during the race can change how long the lines are!!
I think I would have stopped if the penguin was out...when I ran by I think he was just waddling away for a break. Darn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehvalerie View Post
A friend of mine ran the half this year and said that night that she'd never do another Disney race because of this. Of course, we've since discussed going back next year!
Yep, runDisney sucks you in! After last year's marathon I thought I was done, and, well...we know how that worked out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808 View Post
I just want to say thanks for the push - I finally started my trip report on my blog!

Love reading yours! Can't wait to hear about the marathon!
Oh yay! I am going to read it after I post this update! And hey - love the new avatar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessM View Post
Congrats on beating your princess time! I think you have convinced me to do the princess next year as my first half! Now to convince the BF... Haha. Can't wait to hear all about the marathon! Thank you for taking the time to put this together it's fun reading about your experiences!
Thank you! The Princess is a great first half marathon. Tell your BF to DO IT...he'll be surrounded by ladies (I think the women:men ratio is 30:1 ) but it's SO much fun...and I think they have men's cut tech shirts now!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #146
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

16.2 down, 26.2 to go...FEED ME!

We didn't hang around the finish area very long (and didn't get a picture together with our medals! Darn! ). Princess C headed back to the CBR bus stop and I made my way back to the monorail station at the entrance to Epcot, weird little runDisney snack box in hand. They were making runners that wanted to get to the monorail go through security along with the park guests that were arriving just after Epcot had opened for the day. I'm sure they didn't appreciate having to share the security line with the sweaty runners.

Waiting for the monorail and looking back toward the starting area...

I think I got on a monorail at about 9:15 and was en route back to the Grand.

It was a Simpsons kind of weekend.

Will met me at the monorail platform and we quickly headed back to the room. Now remember how I mentioned earlier that I didn't want to hear people talking about the heat and freak myself out over it? One other thing I didn't want to overthink was recovery between the half and full marathons. I read up a bit online and people were talking about ratios of macronutrients and drink this just after the race, do these stretches, walk for at least 15 minutes each hour, etc. Eventually I stopped reading about it and stuck with what the method that worked best for me, which I'd figured out during training - as awful as it sounds, take an ice bath after the race, followed by a glorious bit of sleep.

I felt GREAT after the half - no soreness at all - but I didn't want to take any chances with the marathon the next morning. I took about a 5-6 minute ice bath (probably should have been longer but I was in a hurry), showered and rolled my quads a bit with The Stick. I also very carefully removed my Goofy bib and laid it out for the marathon the next morning. Goofy runners use the same bib for both races and if it gets bent the bib tags won't properly record the race times...I definitely didn't want that to happen.

We headed over to the Polynesian (I think we took the boat) and checked in a few minutes early for our 10:40 ADR at Kona Café...which was totally SWAMPED. Seriously, that place was a mad house. My best guess is that lots of runners stay at the monorail resorts for the race and Kona is right there...and it's a great place for a celebratory breakfast.

My mom's friend was joining us for this meal and no one was there yet. We took our pager and waited.

We got seated after about 10 minutes and the rest of our party arrived. This was our first time eating at Kona for breakfast and I was SO excited - I love breakfast food!

Will and I ordered the Kona pressed pot to share. SO GOOD.

(Please note my giant glass of ice water. Still gotta hydrate!)

Will ordered the Samoa I think (?) and everyone else ordered some kind of eggs...I know my brother got steak and eggs. I got...

...any ideas???...

TONGA TOAST!

Now, certain food things (yep, food things...food items? ) at Disney are so overhyped that by the time I get to try them I am disappointed (i.e. - and flame me all you want for saying this - Dole whips and Boma)...but OMG. This stuff totally lives up to the hype. It was soooooo good. I think it flirts with being a little too sweet (especially with the strawberry sauce) but wow, it was awesome. I think the key for my liking it is that the banana flavor isn't too over-powering, because I don't normally like bananas mixed with other things...but this was incredibly delicious. On a normal day I don't know that I would be able to finish the entire portion by myself, but after the half I wolfed it down, no problem. And this is a weird thing to say, but I was quite excited about the bacon. I feel like most bacon on Disney property is thin and, well, kind of crappy...but the Kona bacon was thick and quite good!

Everyone agreed that the food at Kona was fantastic, but the meal took a long time. I really think Kona was caught off-guard with the post-race crowds and wasn't prepared to handle it, so everything was just a little slow. And my family was being a little, well...difficult ...so Will and I decided that we needed an afternoon alone.

We paid the check, said TTFN to the fam (who were planning on heading to the Magic Kingdom for the day) and headed out to the Polynesian bus stop. To the Studios!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 05-29-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #147
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

A short Studios afternoon

After our long brunch we arrived at the Studios at about 1:15.

The Studios is our least-favorite park (we're determined to explore it more fully on our next trip because we're sure there's more to love that we just haven't yet discovered) but we had a couple of things we wanted to do here that wouldn't take very long, so it seemed like a good pick for the afternoon in between the races.

First on the list, one of our favorite things to do at WDW...drawing class!

We got in line right before being let in to the class. The animator was one we've had before (she helped us draw Minnie in June 2011) and I think she's just so darn cute. She makes a big speech before the class about how everyone's drawings are good and there's no eraser on the pencil so don't get frustrated and how we want to make a messy, sloppy sketch, etc. It's adorable and makes me want to hug her. She'd make a great kindergarten teacher.

Just like last year, she had the character we were going to draw picked out ahead of time and wanted us to start drawing without knowing who it was. Whoever guessed the character would get the animator's drawing once class was over. One girl right in the front of the room was NOT happy about having a pre-picked character. For whatever reason she thought that SHE should be able to pick who we draw. Um...how about shut up and let the class get started?! Eventually the animator whispered the character to the girl and she was like, "Oh, thats a good one...I approve!" So obnoxious.

So then the animator draws one line on the sheet of paper and the guy next to me yells out, "STITCH!" like he's able to guess who the character is already. He wasn't right...yet he continued to guess STITCH every few minutes. Seriously, 5-6 times. It went from being funny the first time to making me want to stick my pencil - with no eraser! - right into my eye.

I ended up using my pencil for drawing only and I present to you...Dale!

And I came away from class asking myself the same question I have after each drawing class I've attended...why is it so hard to draw a circle?? WHY??

So far in class we've drawn Pluto, Minnie, and now Dale. I think this class is such a fun activity and really a perfect example of something you can only get at Disney. It's really one of the highlights of the trip for us each time we participate.

After class we checked the wait for Toy Story Mania (too long...shocker! ) and headed to Sunset Boulevard for the best ride EVER...the Tower of Terror. I think we waited about 15 minutes. It was awesome as usual, but I am ashamed to admit that after that one ride I was DONE. I needed a nap, pronto.

We made one last stop before leaving the Studios - Starring Rolls to purchase our third and final cupcake of the weekend - and caught a bus back to the Grand Floridian. Before going back to the room I showed Will where the race course passed the Grand Floridian in case he wanted to watch part of the marathon. When we got to the room I took a glorious nap. Ahhhh. I think Will alternated between playing on his phone and dozing off as well during this little break.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 05-29-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #148
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Welcome, Cousins!

I think I got up from my nap at about 5PM and made a bee-line for that cupcake I'd gotten from Starring Rolls.

Red Velvet Cupcake:

Of the 3 cupcakes I had that weekend, this one was by far my favorite. The cake was super moist, and in my book you really can't go wrong with cream cheese icing. I had about 3/4 of it and Will had the rest.

After the cupcake I took a few more photos from our windows...

We had an awkward amount of time to kill before dinner, so just like after the 5K we popped into the Magic Kingdom for a bit!

And now for a mini-rant...I thought I'd finally picked the correct race shirt size this year (small instead of medium) but they seem to run larger now. I can definitely see that in the above picture. RUN DISNEY, IF YOU'RE READING THIS (psssshhhhh HAHA yeah right): Throughout the entire weekend - at the expo, at the races, even on your blog and Facebook page you kept mentioning how over half of the runners participating in the races were women...would it kill you to start producing women's-cut race shirts?? Men get men's-cut shirts for the Princess Half and Tinkerbell Half...where's the love for the ladies???

Also, runDisney, if youre reading this...HIRE ME! /rant over.

Anyway, this was pretty much an exact repeat of what I did after the 5K - just a leisurely stroll along Main Street. Except the Magic Kingdom was SUPER crowded on this day, so it wasn't quite as relaxing as we would have liked.

No more Dreamlights:

We didn't stick around very long - just a little over an hour I think. It was time for dinner!

We left the Magic Kingdom and caught the resort monorail back to the Polynesian. Our reservations for 'Ohana were for 7:05 and we checked in at about 6:50. I'd been texting with my mom and they were making their way over from the Boardwalk. She said it would only take a "5 minutes" for them to drive over. Right...

This reservation was...challenging. Way back in July I woke up at the crack of dawn to get our ADRs set and this 'Ohana dinner was the first one I made. That was back when the trip was going to just be me, Will, Craig and my mom. On December 29 - exactly 2 weeks before our 'Ohana dinner - my mom texted me that her friend was coming on the trip, and could I add her to this reservation? This stressed me out more than it should have - at the time the only reservation available for 5 was at 9:40...not happening - but I knew all I could do was make a back-up reservation for them and keep hoping for a cancellation. It sounds callous, but I made a reservation for 2 at the Grand Floridian Café for mom and friend. I had been very deliberate about the restaurants I picked for the pre-race dinners - they had to be places both the bro and I had eaten at that had NOT made us sick, and they also had to be places I thought people would like. Via Napoli and 'Ohana fit the bill. I'd done the work to get the reservation and 'Ohana is awesome - I was NOT going to give it up. I checked the dining system a few times per day and on New Year's Eve there it was - a reservation for 5 at 7:05PM! I snatched it up, canceled GF Café, and all was well...and then my aunt decided to come on the trip 3 days before check-in day. Luckily I was able to just call Disney Reservations and make the switch (going from 5 to 6 is a lot easier than 4 to 5). My mom thanked me profusely - she knew everything I'd done to plan the trip and the dinners. I was happy to do it, of course, but I'd be lying if I said it hadn't stressed me out a bit.

So Will and I checked in at 'Ohana, got our pager and waited. We were called to be seated pretty quickly...but the rest of our party wasn't there yet. They wouldn't seat us until everyone had arrived, so we were put back into the queue. Meanwhile my brother is texting me that the GPS is steering them in the wrong direction AGAIN and they've already made 3-4 u-turns. At this point Will was livid - I'd had to change the reservation so many times and now they were late?! I was mad too and was starting to get what Will and I call "panicky-hungry" - where you're so hungry you start to feel a little ill and, well, panicky - but eventually I decided (and told Will pretty firmly) that we would NOT be angry about this. They'd get there, we'd eat, and we'd just go about the day. Because the way the weekend was going I had already had the stressful arrival day, the full-of-complaints day at Epcot, and now this. This was not how I was going to remember this trip. We both calmed down pretty quickly, and I don't remember what time everyone else arrived, but I think we ended up getting seated at about 7:30.

We were seated at a table for 8 and ended up configured in such a way that Will and I were sitting together sort of facing everyone else. Oddly appropriate given how the weekend had been going up to that point ...anyway, this was the one instance where there were NO complaints at all. Shocking! Everyone was very impressed by the food (for the most part), but I'd like to think they also reigned it in a bit because they felt bad about being late. Who knows.

The one downside of eating at 'Ohana the night before the race was that I felt the need to eat less dessert than I normally do, thus I didn't gorge myself on the amazing bread pudding quite as much as I wanted to. So sad. I did get wild and order a Coke to go along with my water (hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!) though.

Despite the fact that I tried not to stuff too much food into my face the night before the marathon I still felt like my stomach looked like this guy's when I was done:

No food pictures - it was way too dark for anything to come out. But everything was great and the service was really good. Love that place.

We finished dinner at about 8:30 (I'd heard the soundtrack to Wishes! being piped in but we were too far away from the windows to see the fireworks) and Will and I were outta there in record time. We headed back to the Grand and took a stroll around the lobby before heading back to the room.

Once we were back in Conch Key I checked all of my stuff for the marathon again and was in bed between 9:30 and 10. My same 3 alarms were set: phone at 2:45, wake-up call at 2:55 and iHome at 3:00. Third and final race report coming up next!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 05-29-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #149
jwgm2012
Geaux Saints!

Hi Shannon! Thanks for more great TR updates! Oh and thanks for waving the running wand and granting me "runner" status! LOL...

I think it's awesome how well you felt coming off of the 1/2 portion.

Looking forward to reading the rest

gina

June 2012 - Our First Semi-Blended Family Trip - CSR
December 2012 - DBF and I's First Ever Disney Christmas
June 2013 - Celebrating DD's 15th Birthday - OKW
November 2014 - DBF and I Celebrating My Big 4-0 at AULANI!!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #150
pxefig
Mouseketeer

And this concludes your extensive six-week training program!
Now that song is in my head. Thanks (I'm not sure if I'm being sarcastic or not... "But Main Street's still all cracked and broken/Sorry Mom, the mob has spoken)
I love your shot of Mickey at the crossroads of the world. I want to steal it and make it my Facebook cover photo!
In the Delicious Disney Cookbook there is a recipe for the Ohana bread pudding that tastes exactly like Disney's version. Which impresses me, because I rarely have that good of a result when I try Disney recipes at home.
Starring Rolls will always have a special place in my heart. I went to WDW when I was pregnant with my third pretty much because I wanted grapefruit cake. That's why I boarded a plane and saw the mouse- for that cake. But they didn't have any at Starring Rolls and I hadn't been able to get an ADR at BD. The poor cashier was slightly freaked out by a hungry pregnant woman dealing with no cake disappointment and he walked over to BD and stole a piece of grapefruit cake for me. And it was everything I had hoped it would be.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: