Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
thefamilyford
Earning My Ears

Any Water Park Suggestions?

Want to plan a half day at one of the Water Parks this coming August the day before our cruise. We will be staying at Art of Animation. What do you suggest Blizzard Beach OR Typhoon Lagoon? Is Typhoon Lagoon much like Castaway Cay? Is it better to head over first thing in the morning and OR wait until the hottest part of the afternoon to take advantage?
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
smile750
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefamilyford View Post
Want to plan a half day at one of the Water Parks this coming August the day before our cruise. We will be staying at Art of Animation. What do you suggest Blizzard Beach OR Typhoon Lagoon? Is Typhoon Lagoon much like Castaway Cay? Is it better to head over first thing in the morning and OR wait until the hottest part of the afternoon to take advantage?
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
It's not really like it at all. Both waterparks have large pools (Typhoon has a HUGE wave pool with strong current) and Blizzard beach has one where the waves go up and down and you can grab tubes). Lots of waterslides at both (more thrilling drops at Blizzard Beach). Typhoon lagoon has a snorkeling lagoon. I was there last August - we were there the whole day from opening until close (Blizzard Beach). The good thing about getting there first thing is you have pick of where you want to sit. By the end of the day it had emptied pretty much so no lines. Overall August (if towards the end when Florida is back in school) is not that bad with crowds. For big thrills - go to Blizzard. Has some easy rides too but more thrills with higher drops. Go to Disney website and look at the pics.

Castaway Cay is really a big island resort with only Pelican plunge for waterslides. There are boat rentals etc.. but you have to pay for them. Not that you don't pay to get into waterparks but it's one price and done.
smile750 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

We have the "FL Resident after 2pm" water park passes, so clearly, thats when we go. Love it then - place empties out nicely!

The family definitely prefers Typhoon Lagoon. We prefer their wave pool for sure!!! Plus, Crush-n-Gusher ROCKS!!! I happen to like their lazy river & park theming better too. However, BB has more slides (& a much better/longer family raft ride).

PP is right - go online & check out the pics 8)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Weedy
DIS Veteran

I agree with Silverfox I prefer Typhoon Lagoon for the same reasons. You will have to pay for a full day regardless of when you go. We also had the Fl. res. after 2 pass and went in the afternoon. But for the 1st time I suggest you go 1st thing in the morning. That way you can stay longer if you are having a good time. Be sure to use LOTS is sun screen and maybe sun shirts. The sun is very strong in Florida. You don't want to ruin your cruise.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
californiamomofboys
Earning My Ears

My boys (ages 7 & 9) love both waterparks (probably more than the theme parks) but Blizzard Beach is their favorite because of Summit Plummet (a straight down drop-type slide) and the iceberg/ropes course area. They would never pass up a day at Typhoon Lagoon either though. They body surf on the huge wave that is made in the wave pool for hours. This past visit they enjoyed the salt water reef area with real sharks and rays that you can snorkel in and hopefully they have caught the snorkeling bug (I've booked a snorkeling excursion for our cruise in April)! I prefer the ambiance at Typhoon Lagoon a little more but both are similar. They do allow you to bring in outside food, just like the theme parks (no glass or alcohol) so we always have a picnic lunch on the beach. Plan on a whole day if you can. They have much shorter operating hours (10 am- 5 pm) so the day goes really fast.
californiamomofboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Typhoon Lagoon is nothing like Castaway Cay....well, unless you count that both have water and sand.

You can't go wrong with either Typhoon or Blizzard, and we've enjoyed both. The wave pool at Typhoon is incredible. Go early so you can enjoy a full day if you choose to stay. You can always opt to leave if the kids are tired.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

Typhoon

Another vote for Typhoon Lagoon. Love the wave pool and the Crush N Gusher.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

We prefer TL for us we just prefer the theme and atmosphere. It does remind me of Castaway Cay in some ways maybe just the theme! I renamed blizzard beach blister beach because we went on a very hot day and I got really bad sunburn! I am sure the reflective white snow effect made it worse! As OP have said they are both nice water parks just TL has it for me! Hard to say exactly why!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: