Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

Unplanned, unpaid two week vacation..

Just venting because I am SO frustrated right now.

On December 27th, I was offered a position at a new hospital. I was more than thrilled about the opportunity and I gave written notice the same day. I wanted to give more than two weeks notice and I did...more like 3+ weeks. My last day at my current position is this Sunday.

I was supposed to begin orientation at my new job on Monday. I planned on taking no vacation time and simply would work my regular schedule through the weekend...

Well, today I got a phone call from my new job's HR department. My background check hadn't come back...and if it didn't soon, my orientation would be moved out two weeks to February 4th. I called the company that did the background check and this afternoon my final paperwork was faxed back to the HR department. I'm all set to go. Or not. Per the HR rep, all of the paperwork had to be faxed back by noon yesterday and since it wasn't, I'm SOL and can't start until the 4th of February now. Two weeks with no pay. Awesome.

I'm so upset about this. I can't believe that I got put in the position, and now I'll literally be the one paying... Luckily, I'm leaving my current job with enough PTO to be cashed out to cover the lost two weeks. But, that money had been earmarked towards paying off a cruise on the Fantasy in August. I won't need it, but I've also got savings.

Per HR the good news is that all my paperwork is now back and there will be no surprises. I am set for February 4th. Obviously the bad news is that I'm out a few thousand dollars...
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

I am guessing that maybe you could still pick up some shifts at your current job? Not sure what capacity you worked in at the hospital but many people stay contingent to keep their foot in the door when moving on to other facilities. Is that a possibility?
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Sorry this happened. It can be very frustrating to have things planned out carefully and have something outside of your control screw them up. I hope you find a way to enjoy yourself for these few weeks and start your new job feeling great!

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydelly View Post
I am guessing that maybe you could still pick up some shifts at your current job? Not sure what capacity you worked in at the hospital but many people stay contingent to keep their foot in the door when moving on to other facilities. Is that a possibility?
I don't know yet. I hadn't asked to stay on PRN because my new position ( like my old one) offers OT, and I've done it in the past and I'm not a big fan of working at two hospitals.

I called my scheduler today to ask if she had holes and she was noncommittal. Personally, I think she's not happy with me for leaving as I would work for her between two hospitals and 48-60 hours a week so I'm being "punished". And as much as I want to use that PTO money towards the cruise, I am not going to beg for time either...
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Op, this is actually not uncommon. Nowadays most companies will run a background check (we do both criminal and financial) on all new employees. We do try and let new applicants that every once in a while the company that runs them will get backed up.

Do you have any savings you can fall back on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: