Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

Help me get up the nerve to try snorkeling

Ok, I'm not a huge water person. Yes, I can swim a bit. I'm not afraid I'm gonna drown in deep water. That said, snorkeling kinda scares me. There's an excursion I would love to do but one of the two stops involves snorkeling. I feel like if I don't do it'll seem like I've only experienced half the excursion (which I would be). So, what's it like? How do you do it? I've seen folks under the water with snorkel gear. I thought you had to keep the snorkel thing above water. Also, I always have to hold my nose when I go under. Do the masks they give you cover your nose or just your eyes? Sorry I sound stupid but when it comes to snorkeling, that's exactly what I am!
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBDS View Post
Ok, I'm not a huge water person. Yes, I can swim a bit. I'm not afraid I'm gonna drown in deep water. That said, snorkeling kinda scares me. There's an excursion I would love to do but one of the two stops involves snorkeling. I feel like if I don't do it'll seem like I've only experienced half the excursion (which I would be). So, what's it like? How do you do it? I've seen folks under the water with snorkel gear. I thought you had to keep the snorkel thing above water. Also, I always have to hold my nose when I go under. Do the masks they give you cover your nose or just your eyes? Sorry I sound stupid but when it comes to snorkeling, that's exactly what I am!
Some of the snorkeling excursions have people snorkeling off the boat, so you jump into deep water (or walk down a ladder). We did this off a catamaran, but they also had a little dingy that they'd take you to the beach in, and you could then go as deep as you wanted, with your feet on the ground until you got used to it.

At Castaway, you walk in so again you are controlling how deep you are. That being said, most of the 'fun' things are out a little deeper, the Mickey and Minnie statues, the sunken ship that the fish use as a reef.

Yes, the mask covers your nose and eyes.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

The PP as already answered your question about the mask covering your eyes and nose. I'll just add that you will be wearing a flotation device (Disney requires it) so you won't have to worry about drowning.

Also, nobody is going to force you into the water if you decide you don't want to go in. I'm betting however that once you do take a look around down there they will have to force you back out.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I had never snorkeled before my first visit to Castaway Cay. I've snorkeled on many cruises since then. How much real swimming you do is up to you. It is more like floating on the surface of the water with your face in (mask over nose and eyes). It's really amazing.

I can't do all the fancy stuff....I just swim/float around and see what's there...it's a bit of exercise and totally lovely......
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
kmaria
Mouseketeer

I'm nervous about this too! My fiance has snorkeled, but not me! I don't quite understand the logistics either.

I'm also not a strong swimmer.

When I was little, I took swimming lessons, but didn't want to participate in the part where you hold onto the side of the pool, and dunk your head under, come back up, dunk again... well, one of the instructors PUSHED my head under the water! Needless to say... I left, and never properly learned how to swim LOL.

I got the basics down, but I do get panicky if I can't push myself off the bottom and come back up if I go out too far. I'm pretty good at floating on my back, but I'm sure this won't be conductive to snorkeling

I'll be on the boat headed to the beach for sure
Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...d-successfully

google 'how to snorkel' and you'll find a number of other similar videos

also find the dive shops near you ... many have introductory classes in a swimming pool (arrangements with the Y or a highschool typically). I WOULD encorage you to try this a bit B4 you just launch yourself off a boat.

Most excursions of this type are prepared for folks who've NEVER so don't be afraid to tell them you are a complete novice.... the snorkel area at CC is an almost perfect learning environment - protected waters with lifeguards while still having stuff to look at....

{p.s. certified diver since '73 many many dives including this recent one in Nemo's swimming pool at EPCOT with newly dive certified dd}

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
gumbypee
DIS Veteran

I was scared too but got over it immediately. I didn't veer too far from boat and I kept my hand on my snorkel to keep it above water. Sometimes if you turn to look behind or deeper you may dip snorkel in water, just blow out twice and it works fine too
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

Went to youtube and watched a bit. Looks like you're pretty much just floating around on the surface which I can handle easy enough. I think that's probably the best thing to do as a PP stated.... keep it simple. Feeling better about it. Now, if I could just convince my DD15. Too bad CC is our last stop on the cruise otherwise it would have been the perfect practice spot for us before the excursion on Grand Cayman. Thanks for the replies so far everyone! Capt_BJ, gonna check out those videos. The ones on youtube were mostly family vaca ones.
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
lizabu
DIS Veteran

OP Thank you for posting this. I'm not a super strong swimmer but I want to try snorkelling. I'm glad I'm not the only one nervous about it.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
aymekae
Mouseketeer

A question I feel qualified to answer!

I am not a water lover. I can swim a bit, tread water, but have to "hold my nose" to go underwater, and I just don't see what's so great about it.

Snorkeling has changed my mind completely. Now I can't wait to go in!

Last year, I signed up for a semi-sub/snorkel excursion in Grand Cayman. I specifically chose one that was child-friendly, as I would need that level of instruction to feel comfortable. I had a really hard time getting started, though. The excursion leader finally threw me a lifesaver, so I held the lifesaver out in front of me to steady myself, and put my face in the water between my arms, while my DH pulled us around. The only other thing I had to remember to do was to breathe steadily through my mouth, not my nose. I didn't go "under water" like I'd seen others do, because I panic easily. It was an awesome experience.

Fast forward to this year. We bought snorkel sets before going to Aulani. I was excited to use my own equipment and try snorkeling from a beach instead of jumping off a boat. Again, amazing experience. I could finally enjoy going underwater. The fins also helped me swim better/faster than I could before. I was able to take as long as I needed to get comfortable.

I am confident that on my next cruise, I will snorkel a few times, and I even want to practice going "under water" to get a closer look and be able to go out farther.

My advice is to make sure you have good equipment with a tight suction on the mask so water doesn't leak in. You don't have to buy your own set, but spend a few minutes adjusting the mask, at least.

Enjoy!!

Ben (32) Ayme (28) Ian (10 mo)

DLR Trips - Last: Sep. 2013 Next: Jan. 2014
Honeymoon to WDW (Wilderness Lodge) Sep. 11, 2008
Western Caribbean Cruise (Magic) Dec. 10, 2011
Aulani Nov. 3-12, 2012
Eastern Caribbean Cruise (Fantasy) Dec. 14, 2013
Disneyland Jan. 16-18, 2014 (Neverland 5K)
aymekae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

for me, I have gotten claustrophobic with a snorkel when I tried as a kid. I'm going to try it at CC if the weather allows (Feb cruise), though. I know it will be worth pushing myself! As someone else said, it seems to be a perfect place to try. (right at CC, not during an excursion, that is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaria View Post
one of the instructors PUSHED my head under the water! Needless to say... I left, and never properly learned how to swim LOL.

FWIW, it's not really needless to say. There are plenty of kids who are strongly urged/forced to dunk their head, and they do just fine. DS has been taking swim lessons at the Y for 3 years and I've seen countless scared-to-dunk kids change their tune. Some instructors know perfectly how to deal with each individual kid, and some kids do need to be, basically, tossed in the water. The kids who don't come back, I've noticed at my Y, are the ones whose parents allow them to not go back.

Go back, learn to swim. It's worth it.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
Mauierlyn
Earning My Ears

Do it!!! We were just in Castaway Cay. We picked up our gear and planned to go for 20 minutes. Two hours later we got out. I don't like swimming in water where there's fish but it was so beautiful and interesting. And easy. No effort required i you wear fins.
Mauierlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
LemonPie
Mouseketeer

I dislike water and I too was afraid to snorkel but we did the stingray adventure at CC and it came with the gear so why not. I felt safe from water based beasts. Micky wouldn't let anything eat me right? I found no matter how far out you swam/floated there was always an underwater knoll close so even short me could swim over and stand with my head out of the water. I loved how there were "treasures" placed throughout the bay to look at. We even saw starfish and other fish. I liked it so much I have bought snorkel gear and have done some here at home in local lakes.
LemonPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
kuhltiffany
DIS Veteran

Put it this way, after 2 cruises NOT snorkelling has been one of my biggest regrets

I've been BOO'ED by SallySkelington!!!
kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
JackieO
Mouseketeer

Oh I'm so glad someone else said what I've been thinking! I want my kids to have this experience so I will try not to let anyone know I'M TERRIFIED!! I can swim just fine it's what's IN the water that scares me to death! We're doing Stingray City with a snorkeling stop in the Grand Cayman. Does anyone know what kinds of things are in the water, like sharks or other big scary things Ok, I'm putting my brave face back on now.
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: