Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Once you board

Hi everyone,

I have been reading lots of TR's about the Fantasy to prepare for my Sep Eastern cruise.
It seems that one should have a strategy once they board to book classes, ride the aquaduck etc.

So I am curious.
What have people done and what has worked for you?

What classes/activities need to be booked on the first day? A mixology class is high on our wishlist, as is a beer tasting for DH. What about galley and behind the scene tours? Rainforest passes? Anything you can think of that books out early, please let me know.

Are the kids clubs open as soon as you board. I'd love to get pics while it's quite empty. Also, is there are need to sign my son up for Oceaneers Club as quickly as possible?

Is there really a need to rush to the aquaduck? Is it that much quieter than every other time throughout the cruise? I'd love to take my son to AquaLab while it's quiet to get some fun photos with few others around. Is this an option?

Lastly, how early do the buses start leaving MCO? I will be coming from a hotel, so can get to the airport whenever. I know there are there are other quicker, cheaper ways of getting to the Port, but I'm excited abut the bus and and the little movie they play as way of building up excitement for my son.

Sorry about all the questions. I would just like to have a plan. I'm happy to rush around like crazy for the first few hours of my cruise if it means the rest of the trip will be more relaxing and enjoyable.

Thanks in advance :-)
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

I'll take on a few of the questions and leave the rest for others.

Quote:
Are the kids clubs open as soon as you board. I'd love to get pics while it's quite empty. Also, is there are need to sign my son up for Oceaneers Club as quickly as possible?
You do not need to rush to the Oceaneer Club and Lab. They will be in an "open house" mode prior to the Lifeboat drill at 4pm on boarding day and you'll have plenty of time to head down there while they're relatively empty to take some pictures and check them out. You can sign your kids up at that point and get their bracelets or you can do that while you wait to board in the Port Canaveral terminal. We've always just done it in the terminal because we had nothing else to do while waiting to board.

Quote:
Is there really a need to rush to the aquaduck? Is it that much quieter than every other time throughout the cruise? I'd love to take my son to AquaLab while it's quiet to get some fun photos with few others around. Is this an option?
There is no "need" to rush to the Aquaduck, but there's also no reason not to. The lines will be shorter than they will at just about any other time on the cruise (aside from later in the evenings and during Castaway Cay day). We've done this first thing with our kids on two cruises and it's worked well for us. The last time, we rode it a few times and then dried off and had lunch.

One thing you don't mention that has worked well for us is doing the Mickey's Detective Agency game that afternoon. On our first cruise, it was a great way to get familiar with the layout of the ship and start to understand the difference between aft, midship, and forward.
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, November 2014
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

As far as what to do when you get on board...think about those things that are going to fill up and/or reservations that you want but don't have.

I don't know what "classes" people are signing up for. 25+ DCL cruises and counting and we never had to sign up for a class other than in the spa for the fitness classes....and these never really fill. Even if the list is full, place yourself on the waitlist. With the exception of spinning, there are always no shows and the list people get in. OK, re-read original post....mixology you will need to sign up for right after boarding.

Tastings, tea with (Wendy, Disney Friends, etc), you'll need to sign up for fairly quickly or they will be full. No tea with on our Fantasy cruise--pay attention to the boards as September nears. Make your list for GS and cover everything in one trip thru the line.

If you need Palo ressies, Remy, dining changes, or port adventures, you will want to take care of these things shortly after boarding. Port adventures will likely be a wait list spot, but higher is better!

The aquaduck will be there all week. Sure, you can ride right after boarding, but there are lots of good times with short or no lines.

Oceaneer's Club will be in open house mode all afternoon; no need to rush here.

I have never been denied a spa pass--they always want to take my money regardless of when I get there. I don't believe their "We only sell 30" speeches.

The first bus leaves MCO about 9:30. You will be admitted to the terminal as soon as the bus arrives. Boarding generally starts about 11:45, but I've seen it as early as 11:30.

Last edited by kcashner; 01-17-2013 at 04:04 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....at+to+do+first
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all of your helpful responses.

I like the idea of using the detective agency to explore the ship.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: