Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #1441
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

California Grill at Disney's Contemporary Resort has opened reservations for select Fall dates. Earlier reservations will likely become available once an opening date for the restaurant has been announced.

~AllEars
Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #1442
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery619 View Post
Thanks for all of the information! We are 99% sure we want to stay here.
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilFanAZ View Post
Hi,

I am a newbie to the threads with a few questions about the Contemporary Resort.

We are heading on our families' first trip to WDW next spring around this time. I had gone one as a kid and stayed at the Contemporary and loved it. Granted, 20 years have passed but I am hoping to be able to take my family back there. However I do have a couple of basic questions about the resort.

Are the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower separate hotels?
Can anyone get a room at BLT?
Do the rack rates ever get discounted?

Thanks.
to the DIS and the CR/BLT thread!

Yes, the CR (Contemporary) is the hotel with the monorail, restaurants, convention center, gym and shops and BLT is the DVC villas. They are separate, but connected by a covered "Sky Bridge." The first and second pages of this thread have lots of information and photos about both resorts and room options.

Yes, anyone can book a reservation at BLT. If you aren't a DVC owner, you can book a "cash reservation" or you can rent points from various agencies. You can look on the WDW booking page for BLT rates and availability.

Yes, the rack rates do get discounted and I always book using a discount. The WDW booking page will list discounts. MouseSavers.com is a great site to find all the current general public discounts. There is a military rate (which I used to book BLT at 40% off), an Annual Passholder rate, FL Resident and general public rates, for example.

Let us know if you have any other questions and happy planning!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #1443
Martini35
Earning My Ears

Just put deposit down on CR garden wing Aug 4 - Aug 8. Girls getaway with the teenagers as next summer they should get a job.

Counting down to first on site trip...July 29-Aug 8th C

DH DS(20) DD (17) DD (15)
Old 05-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #1444
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini35 View Post
Just put deposit down on CR garden wing Aug 4 - Aug 8. Girls getaway with the teenagers as next summer they should get a job.
to the DIS and the CR/BLT thread! Yippee for booking! I'll add you to out Log-orail.

It does get much harder to plan vacations around the kids as they get older. Maybe they'll participate in the Disney College Program and you can visit them all summer! (That's my hope)
Old 05-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #1445
Irishlisa
DIS Veteran

Has anyone done the Pirates and Pals cruise? Is it worth the $?

DH, Me, DS(9), DD(7), DD(5), DD(5)

Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #1446
honeybunches
That sounds like a cat poster, but it's true

I have been thinking about renting points to make it possible to stay at BLT. We go to MK more often than any other park and would like to be close. I think the budget will only allow for the studio though. Too small for a family of 4? ( 2 adults and 2 children--ages 4 and 9)

If you have a better recommendation I would so appreciate it!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #1447
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini35 View Post
Have a great time. We LOVED the Garden Wing, so close to the pool!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunches View Post
I have been thinking about renting points to make it possible to stay at BLT. We go to MK more often than any other park and would like to be close. I think the budget will only allow for the studio though. Too small for a family of 4? ( 2 adults and 2 children--ages 4 and 9)

It could work BUT it will mean the kids are on the pull out bed. Personally I would book a Garden Wing room with a discount. You get 2 queen beds and a daybed and it is either the same size as the studio or slightly larger. We are DVC members and DH/I stayed in a studio at BLT and loved it but if we brought the kids (5 and 3) we would go with a CR room (with a discount) or a 1 bedroom.

If you are considering a DVC studio, OKW has the largest studios and they have 2 queen beds plus use less points than BLT. But you could do a BLT Studio of the pull out was not an issue. We love CR/BLT because of the walk to MK!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #1448
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Just over 2 weeks until we get to come back to our happy place. I have to admit I am going to miss the CR since we are staying at BLT this time but I can visit

I cannot wait to get there. I feel like time has started crawling at this point though.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #1449
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:

We are DVC members and have stayed in a studio the last two of the three trips at BLT, and our dds are now 11 & 8. So, we are the same number, with mine being slightly older. BLT and BWV are my two favorite resorts. There is also the Wilderness lodge, which is a short, direct boat ride to MK. I really liked the WL, but DW did not. As for whether or not to rent points, I don't know the cost compared to a CR room, but that location is terrific.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #1450
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishlisa View Post
Has anyone done the Pirates and Pals cruise? Is it worth the $?
I know someone on the last CR thread did and I believe they said their kids loved it. If you go to AllEars, they have reviews of it, if someone doesn't answer your question here the reviews might help you.

Quote:

I agree with WsPrincesse's comment below about booking CR instead of a Studio for 4 people. The BLT Studios are actually smaller than a CR room. If you're booking with a general public discount then seriously look into CR. If you have to book rack rate, then renting points might be better for you, despite the smaller size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post

It could work BUT it will mean the kids are on the pull out bed. Personally I would book a Garden Wing room with a discount. You get 2 queen beds and a daybed and it is either the same size as the studio or slightly larger. We are DVC members and DH/I stayed in a studio at BLT and loved it but if we brought the kids (5 and 3) we would go with a CR room (with a discount) or a 1 bedroom.

We love CR/BLT because of the walk to MK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post
Just over 2 weeks until we get to come back to our happy place. I have to admit I am going to miss the CR since we are staying at BLT this time but I can visit

I cannot wait to get there. I feel like time has started crawling at this point though.
If you're in a one bedroom or larger, you won't miss CR. I thought I'd miss CL, but that huge villa made up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
We are DVC members and have stayed in a studio the last two of the three trips at BLT, and our dds are now 11 & 8. So, we are the same number, with mine being slightly older. BLT and BWV are my two favorite resorts. There is also the Wilderness lodge, which is a short, direct boat ride to MK. I really liked the WL, but DW did not. As for whether or not to rent points, I don't know the cost compared to a CR room, but that location is terrific.

They're almost 14! Do you think you'll be able to fit their husbands in the Studio?

(Sorry to go OT everyone - AirGoofy mentioned on the BWI thread that in KY, you can marry at 14 with parental consent)
Old 05-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #1451
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
They're almost 14! Do you think you'll be able to fit their husbands in the Studio?

(Sorry to go OT everyone - AirGoofy mentioned on the BWI thread that in KY, you can marry at 14 with parental consent)
And to give you the rest of the story, KOOK suggested to a poster that they post pictures of their wedding and honeymoon while at the resort. Posting honeymoon photos? I just simply asked when these threads went in that direction. Anyway, those are the current laws in KY, true enough. And, while we don't want to get into an occupancy issue, everyone knows that is too many for a studio.

To get back on topic, while I have never stayed at CR, the studios at BLT are small in comparison, and I believe the smallest of all the DVC resorts. But, with access to the MK, it makes up for it. So, while I have to agree with KOOK, if you can book a room at the CR for a similar amount to studio BLT, then I would go CR. If you can get a cheaper BLT studio by renting points, then that may make sense for you. The 1 BRs and above are simply amazing - space, full kitchen, washer/dryer, separate bedroom, jacuzzi, and extra bathroom (@BLT & AKV Kidani) - but will cost you more money.

DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 05-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #1452
Irishlisa
DIS Veteran

Do I need reservations for The Top of The World lounge?

DH, Me, DS(9), DD(7), DD(5), DD(5)

Old 05-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #1453
DVCismyhappyplace
Mouseketeer

The Top of the World Lounge does not take reservations. It is purely first-come, first-served.

Be sure to have your room key, your DVC membership card and photo ID with you, as the CM at the front desk will ask for it before you can get in the elevators.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #1454
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishlisa View Post
Do I need reservations for The Top of The World lounge?
They don't accept reservations, but you do need to be a DVC member or with a DVC member. They will ask to see your KTTW card before you go up.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #1455
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCismyhappyplace View Post
The Top of the World Lounge does not take reservations. It is purely first-come, first-served.

Be sure to have your room key, your DVC membership card and photo ID with you, as the CM at the front desk will ask for it before you can get in the elevators.
Excuse my posting before seeing your post
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: