Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #1321
Contemporary_Man
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCFAN View Post
The catch is you can't be guaranteed the view. There are five standard rooms on the 14th floor. Four of them are on the MK side. One is Bay Lake. This means if course that the odds are in your favor to get MK view but you could get Bay Lake and you are not allowed to book one or the other.
Unless it has changed with the latest refurbishment, there are two king rooms and two queen rooms on the Magic Kingdom side. That leaves one queen room on the Bay Lake side.

So even though they don't allow you to book a view, in the past a King room was definitely going to be on the Magic Kingdom side.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #1322
princessap
DIS Veteran

I am contemplating a CR stay next time but just read the reviews on tripadvisor and it gets a lot of bad reviews. The complaints were it is noisy, no theming, expensive.

I know you contemporary lovers were the people to ask....should I be worried about this?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #1323
Anonomom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I am contemplating a CR stay next time but just read the reviews on tripadvisor and it gets a lot of bad reviews. The complaints were it is noisy, no theming, expensive.

I know you contemporary lovers were the people to ask....should I be worried about this?
Don't worry about it. It's true there isn't much theming, but I think the convenience more than makes up for it. I love staying in the tower because everything is so close. My kids have certainly never complained about the lack of theming (though my daughters did go gaga over the GF's lobby).

I also don't find the CR noisy. We stayed on the 12th floor, about 4 rooms past the elevators on the MK side (away from Chef Mickey's). Our room was very quiet and the only noise I heard from the hallways was the monorail and some construction noise from the California Grill redo.

As for price, IIRC, it's the least expensive of the Monorail resorts. At least, every time I've priced a vacation, CR has come back definitely cheaper than the GF, usually within a few dollars of the Poly, but at the Poly you have to walk outside to get to food, shops, the monorail, etc.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #1324
ThisIsJason
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
I'm glad you found the link on the BLT page. Let us know if you have any other questions, Jason.
Thanks! More of opinions needed rather than a question. Co-worker is planning on going near the end of May (2014). Family of three (kid will be 11/12). They are planning on renting points. Which would be the best; trying for a 1 bedroom standard view or just go with a lake view? She has said MK views are out.
AKV DVC Owner
Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #1325
Anonomom
DIS Veteran

We just got back from a four-night stay on the 12th floor. In case anyone is interested, the evening lounge offerings have changed (from a comment from a CM, it seems that it happened recently so I figured I'd post an update here). Here's what we saw:

Every night:
Assorted cheese/crackers/veggies & dip
Rolls
Hummus
PB&J

Sunday:
Crabmeat BLT spoons -- a little dab of crab salad with some bacon, served on a chinese-style spoon
Prosciutto flatbread
Spinach & cheese-filled phyllo triangles

Monday:
Salmon spread in the chinese-style spoons
Duck quesadillas
Panko-crusted scallops (these were really good)

Tuesday:

Deconstructed carpaccio (a bite-sized bit of beef (cooked) with red onions and "microcelery.")
Pulled Pork sandwiches
Rock Shrimp with hummus and lavash crackers

Our room was a little disappointing at first -- the safe was open but locked, so it couldn't be used (though it was fixed the same day we reported it). At first blush, the room didn't seem dirty, but it wasn't exactly sparkly, kwim? Then I went into the bathroom and saw some lovely brown smears on the floor around the toilet . Luckily I had some disinfecting wipes with me. I also mentioned it to the concierge in the morning and our room got a deep clean that day -- what a difference! The room just looked and felt so much nicer than it had. I'm glad I said something instead of fuming silently.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #1326
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsJason View Post
Thanks! More of opinions needed rather than a question. Co-worker is planning on going near the end of May (2014). Family of three (kid will be 11/12). They are planning on renting points. Which would be the best; trying for a 1 bedroom standard view or just go with a lake view? She has said MK views are out.
I haven't been able to get a standard view studio at BLT at the 11 month mark, and I own DVC points there. Maybe they will have better luck with the 1 BRs. There are not as many SV as there are LV. I would be happy with a SV to save points, but the LV rooms have a nice view.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #1327
ThisIsJason
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
I haven't been able to get a standard view studio at BLT at the 11 month mark, and I own DVC points there. Maybe they will have better luck with the 1 BRs. There are not as many SV as there are LV. I would be happy with a SV to save points, but the LV rooms have a nice view.
Ah. Glad I asked. That is one of the reasons I was looking for that map. I haven't been in BLT yet, but I thought that the standard view rooms were pretty limited. I will let her know that chances might be slim on getting one. Thanks!
AKV DVC Owner
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #1328
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quick question. I am contemplating a stay here next trip however if I dont stay at the CR can you still do the activities offered there like fishing excursions or watercraft rentals? thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #1329
Pjimmeyer
1000th Happy Haunt

Quote:

Hi

I'm kind of in the minority, but I've always thought the CR has AMAZING theming. To me the whole thing is iconic and the combination having the disney monorail going straight through is as much WDW as Cinderella's Castle. Also, the large scale mural in the concourse by the same person responsible for the IASW theming is wonderful and a great connection to the park. Add in a very visible Chef Mickey's in the concourse and I think any more would actually be overkill for theming. Just my two cents

As far as noise goes the only time we have noticed any noise is when our room is directly over Chef Mickey's, and even then it doesn't bother us.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #1330
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

Quote:
Quick question. I am contemplating a stay here next trip however if I dont stay at the CR can you still do the activities offered there like fishing excursions or watercraft rentals? thanks
Yessireeeeee
Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #1331
lolobug
DIS Veteran

Can anyone give me an idea of what a room might cost in jan 2014 for (7) nights? I realize that different rooms have different rates, just checking for a general idea... Thx!
PS. Is poly cheaper?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #1332
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynanacat View Post
Yessireeeeee
thanks!!! trying to find stuff for the grandparents to do and I know my FIL would love the boating and fishing options offered here.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #1333
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
I'm glad you liked it and paid us a visit on the Blue Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonomom View Post
We just got back from a four-night stay on the 12th floor. In case anyone is interested, the evening lounge offerings have changed (from a comment from a CM, it seems that it happened recently so I figured I'd post an update here). Here's what we saw:

Every night:
Assorted cheese/crackers/veggies & dip
Rolls
Hummus
PB&J

Sunday:
Crabmeat BLT spoons -- a little dab of crab salad with some bacon, served on a chinese-style spoon
Prosciutto flatbread
Spinach & cheese-filled phyllo triangles

Monday:
Salmon spread in the chinese-style spoons
Duck quesadillas
Panko-crusted scallops (these were really good)

Tuesday:

Deconstructed carpaccio (a bite-sized bit of beef (cooked) with red onions and "microcelery.")
Pulled Pork sandwiches
Rock Shrimp with hummus and lavash crackers

Our room was a little disappointing at first -- the safe was open but locked, so it couldn't be used (though it was fixed the same day we reported it). At first blush, the room didn't seem dirty, but it wasn't exactly sparkly, kwim? Then I went into the bathroom and saw some lovely brown smears on the floor around the toilet . Luckily I had some disinfecting wipes with me. I also mentioned it to the concierge in the morning and our room got a deep clean that day -- what a difference! The room just looked and felt so much nicer than it had. I'm glad I said something instead of fuming silently.
Thanks for this. We are considering staying Atrium CL in December, so this is helpful. I'm sorry about the room condition, but glad concierge did something about it.

Quote:
thanks!!! trying to find stuff for the grandparents to do and I know my FIL would love the boating and fishing options offered here.
Are you any closer to choosing a resort or still very undecided?

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #1334
princessap
DIS Veteran

I was showing the girls some pictures this morning and they want to stay at poly again, they loved it! but they also want to stay at cR to see the castle and AOA to have a little mermaid room. LOL.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #1335
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was showing the girls some pictures this morning and they want to stay at poly again, they loved it! but they also want to stay at cR to see the castle and AOA to have a little mermaid room. LOL.
So yes, still undecided.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: