Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #3016
Tebrown96
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yce22princess View Post
We've done both and my vote would be for the Pirates and Pals cruise. My daughters, 7 and 4, had a blast and so did the adults! As for the dessert party, you get a slightly different view of the fireworks and the dessert was pretty good, but we think we got more of our money's worth out of the cruise for sure.
Thanks, all, for your input. Went ahead and made a reservation for the pirate cruise and I'm very excited about it. I think we'll try to keep it a surprise for DD, she'll flip!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #3017
syp4dis
Earning My Ears

CR Trip Reports

Can anyone point me towards some trip reports from guests that stayed at CR? I would love to read their experiences since I've never stayed there. It's difficult to sort through them all.

Thank you in advance!

2014 GF/CR
2011 Yacht Club,
2009 Poly
2005 GF
2003 WL

2003 Swan
1977 Offsite
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #3018
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornphoenix View Post
GovieMom and Mickeynut, thanks so much for sharing your experiences and knowledge on the CR Tower rooms and potential discounts. I'm looking to book a bay lake view instead of theme park view so hopefully we'll get lucky and a room only discount can be applied. Although 30-35% would be phenomenal, I'm not expecting that and will be happy with 25, 20, or even a 5% discount.....better than nothing...or actually it just occurred to me I should do my original booking using a AAA discount, which I think is more than 5%, and then I'll change to a room-only discount if it's a better deal.

Thanks again!!
You're welcome . Have fun planning and I hope a good discount comes out for your time frame .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 11-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #3019
GovieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
You're welcome . Have fun planning and I hope a good discount comes out for your time frame .
Ditto from me!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #3020
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You won't be surprised to see me here I'm sure...

I found a TPV in my price range!

Kookalicious Queen of the CR thread...if you could deploy the ...ahem..special quill. Please note that I am now booked from 8/16/14 - 8/21/14 in an Atrium Club TPV room!!! Then, we will sail off on the Dream...

I should note too, that the tower club was showing as available with military rate when I called.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #3021
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Sort of, but then again not .....but you still have 9 months to go . What happened to GF SL and what made you go with CR? I really thought the GF would stick as you seemed so comfortable with it . I'm sure you'll like the CR (that is if you keep it ). I'm looking forward to trying it sometime next year.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 11-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #3022
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sort of, but then again not .....but you still have 9 months to go . What happened to GF SL and what made you go with CR? I really thought the GF would stick as you seemed so comfortable with it . I'm sure you'll like the CR (that is if you keep it ). I'm looking forward to trying it sometime next year.

Once I had booked the TPV room at RPC and then went back down to SL, I really wanted that TPV. And, before I had even booked this trip, we wanted Atrium Club but then once rates came out, it was just too expensive for a 10 night trip. For some reason, I didn't think of pricing it out after I added the cruise and dropped the resort portion to 5 nights....until I started thinking about that TPV again...and then DH said what about CR??? Then we can walk to MK, which is high on his priority list (walking distance to a park). Priced it out and the CL TPV room was only $205 more than the SL room...boom! So, I called and made the change!

...and yes, I still have 9 LONG months to go, LOL!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 11-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #3023
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Once I had booked the TPV room at RPC and then went back down to SL, I really wanted that TPV. And, before I had even booked this trip, we wanted Atrium Club but then once rates came out, it was just too expensive for a 10 night trip. For some reason, I didn't think of pricing it out after I added the cruise and dropped the resort portion to 5 nights....until I started thinking about that TPV again...and then DH said what about CR??? Then we can walk to MK, which is high on his priority list (walking distance to a park). Priced it out and the CL TPV room was only $205 more than the SL room...boom! So, I called and made the change!

...and yes, I still have 9 LONG months to go, LOL!
I'm sure the TPV at the CR is hard to beat and I can't wait to try it next year, along with CL. I'd love to stay there when we go in the spring, but we spend a lot of time at the pool and the CR pool doesn't wow me....but then again the CR never appealed to me and I never got excited about booking there until I started researching the resort earlier this year and looking at pics, so I guess anything is possible .

I hope you enjoy the CR ......but for some reason I think you might go through a few more changes between now and August .

Old 11-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #3024
syp4dis
Earning My Ears

Quote:
You won't be surprised to see me here I'm sure... I found a TPV in my price range! Kookalicious Queen of the CR thread...if you could deploy the ...ahem..special quill. Please note that I am now booked from 8/16/14 - 8/21/14 in an Atrium Club TPV room!!! Then, we will sail off on the Dream... I should note too, that the tower club was showing as available with military rate when I called.
We are booked Atrium Club TPV as well! 8/17-24. Funny, I saw your posting the other day about the cruise and started pricing it out myself, but for the money I like the idea of a full week in Disney World rather than a shorter cruise, so we're staying put. Perhaps the following year.

Happy planning! Maybe we'll see each other in the club lounge. We've never stayed CR or club level anywhere before. So looking forward to it. It's going to be a long wait!

2014 GF/CR
2011 Yacht Club,
2009 Poly
2005 GF
2003 WL

2003 Swan
1977 Offsite
Old 11-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #3025
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by syp4dis View Post
We are booked Atrium Club TPV as well! 8/17-24. Funny, I saw your posting the other day about the cruise and started pricing it out myself, but for the money I like the idea of a full week in Disney World rather than a shorter cruise, so we're staying put. Perhaps the following year.

Happy planning! Maybe we'll see each other in the club lounge. We've never stayed CR or club level anywhere before. So looking forward to it. It's going to be a long wait!
Nice!! You will love CL!! We haven't stayed at CR before. But we loved CL at WL and YC. I don't think you can beat the convenience of CR in the MK area!

I'm excited about the TPV, and trying the cruise. It will be a trip of firsts for us for sure!!

Next years trip will be our 5th year in a row and we typically do 11 day trips. Our sole purpose for going next year is to ride the mine train so we are ok dropping the WDW portion of the trip down to 5 nights...and DH has been pushing to do something new for vacation, so cruise it is. Our girls can't wait for the cruise...they barely even talk about the WDW portion.

I am a chronic resort changer and drive my family nuts with it. Every time I make a change, the girls gasp and say "you didn't cancel the cruise, did you???" it appears that as long as I keep the cruise portion in check, I can change to my hearts content

But, this reservation makes me happy!

PAST TRIPS:
Old 11-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #3026
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

I'm about a week behind on the DIS. Please forgive the late multi-quoting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebrown96 View Post
This whole thread is A-MAY-ZING! :-) I am not even half-way through but have learned so much.

We're making our second family Disney trip in May 2014 and have a Garden Wing/Standard View room booked right now. I had been contemplating upgrading to a tower room if discounts are released for that time, but am rethinking that. On our previous trip (May 2012), we were in the parks the vast majority of the time and hardly spent any time at the resort, let alone in our room. I think we'll be perfectly content with our Garden Wing room and then be able to use any money saved if a discount is released towards 'extras' that we may not have done otherwise.

Which leads me to my question. What can you tell me about the Pirates and Pals cruise? I think our DD (will be 6 1/2 when we're there) would love this...she's a HUGE fan of pirates in general and of course Jake, Hook, Peter Pan specifically. What kind of 'snacks and drinks' are served? Is it worth the cost? We were also thinking of doing the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party - would this be worth doing instead of, or in addition to?

It's funny - we stayed at the Polynesian during our last trip and fell in love with it. I would have stayed there again in a heartbeat, but we really want to try something different this time. While I'm not wowed by the 'theming' at the CR, the proximity to the MK really sold me. I'm really hoping we all fall in love with it.

Can't wait to keep reading all the great info on here....thanks to everyone!
Welcome and I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread! There's a lot to love about CR…the views of Bay Lake, the walkway to the MK, being the first bus dropped off and picked-up, the boat, the recent rehab, having everything in one building… We love the theming because the CR is iconic. Where else at WDW does the monorail go through a resort? The GW is close to it all so I'm sure you'll love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney44please View Post
Hey guys, can you take me off the log-rail? We changed our reservations to the WL and saved so much money we booked a second trip!! We are going on our new first trip to the CSR for 6 nights this December!! We will still go on our April trip also, so I am doubly excited now!!!
While I'm usually not keen on resort log removal, your change involves a resort near and dear to my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy D View Post
Hi all! I am just beginning to plan our second trip to WDW. We will be staying at the Contemporary. I am leaning toward going April 27-May 1 or May 4-8. Does anyone have feedback on which week they think would be better for crowds?
Isn't SWW those dates in May? If it is, then I would go prior to avoid all those SWW crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornphoenix View Post
Hi all!!

I've been reading through pages of this wonderful post, but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, so I apologize if this is common knowledge.

Are room only discounts (non-AP and AP) typically available for the CR Tower rooms or are those type of rooms typically excluded/restricted from room only discounts? The reason I'm asking about both non-AP and AP room-only discounts is because we know we'll be staying at least 10-days, which would mean no AP, or we may be staying longer than 10 days, which means we'd likely get APs.

Also, if I book my CR Tower room 499 days out, but the discounts don't come out until, say, 3-4 months before travel, can the discount be applied to an existing reservation or are the discounts only for new reservations?

We're planning a trip for Sept/Oct 2015 so still a ways out, however I'm glad to be planning early as it appears things are way more complicated since we last visited.

Thanks very much for your helpful knowledge!!
Welcome and no need to apologize! I know your question's been answered, but typically all rooms are included in most discounts, with the exception of suites. You can always apply an applicable discount to a reservation as long as your room is available with the discount. Only a certain number of rooms are apportioned to all discounts. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syp4dis View Post
Can anyone point me towards some trip reports from guests that stayed at CR? I would love to read their experiences since I've never stayed there. It's difficult to sort through them all.

Thank you in advance!
Have you tried the Trip Report section of the DIS? You could also do a Google or DIS search for something like "Disney's Contemporary Resort reviews" or "trip reports."

Quote:

I found a TPV in my price range!

Kookalicious Queen of the CR thread...if you could deploy the ...ahem..special quill. Please note that I am now booked from 8/16/14 - 8/21/14 in an Atrium Club TPV room!!! Then, we will sail off on the Dream...

I should note too, that the tower club was showing as available with military rate when I called.
I'll add you…back, but first, have you already changed from CR?
Old 11-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #3027
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
I'm about a week behind on the DIS. Please forgive the late multi-quoting.

Welcome and I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread! There's a lot to love about CR…the views of Bay Lake, the walkway to the MK, being the first bus dropped off and picked-up, the boat, the recent rehab, having everything in one building… We love the theming because the CR is iconic. Where else at WDW does the monorail go through a resort? The GW is close to it all so I'm sure you'll love it

While I'm usually not keen on resort log removal, your change involves a resort near and dear to my heart

Isn't SWW those dates in May? If it is, then I would go prior to avoid all those SWW crowds

Welcome and no need to apologize! I know your question's been answered, but typically all rooms are included in most discounts, with the exception of suites. You can always apply an applicable discount to a reservation as long as your room is available with the discount. Only a certain number of rooms are apportioned to all discounts. Good luck!

Have you tried the Trip Report section of the DIS? You could also do a Google or DIS search for something like "Disney's Contemporary Resort reviews" or "trip reports."

I'll add you…back, but first, have you already changed from CR?
I'm still here!!!

PAST TRIPS:
Old 11-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #3028
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
I'm still here!!!
Should I start the RC countdown? 10, 9, 8….
Old 11-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #3029
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Should I start the RC countdown? 10, 9, 8….

Remember...this is what I originally wanted to book....full circle....full circle....

PAST TRIPS:
Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #3030
Tebrown96
Mouseketeer

Quick questions about walking places.

First, is it possible to walk from CR to the TTC? And second, how does the walk to Contempo Cafe from a GW room compare to a walk from some of the more distant longhouses at Poly to Capt. Cooks?

Last year, we stayed at Poly and the longhouse we were in was about the same distance from the TTC as the GCH, which we thought was idea - so easy to get pretty much anywhere. I know the TTC is just one monorail stop away from the CR, but is it walkable, as well? And on our last trip, DH would often pop to Capt. Cooks and grab coffe and/or breakfast items to bring back to our room while DD and I finished getting ready - I'm assuming the walk from the GW to CC isn't that much further.

Thanks!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: