Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #3001
Tebrown96
Mouseketeer

This whole thread is A-MAY-ZING! :-) I am not even half-way through but have learned so much.

We're making our second family Disney trip in May 2014 and have a Garden Wing/Standard View room booked right now. I had been contemplating upgrading to a tower room if discounts are released for that time, but am rethinking that. On our previous trip (May 2012), we were in the parks the vast majority of the time and hardly spent any time at the resort, let alone in our room. I think we'll be perfectly content with our Garden Wing room and then be able to use any money saved if a discount is released towards 'extras' that we may not have done otherwise.

Which leads me to my question. What can you tell me about the Pirates and Pals cruise? I think our DD (will be 6 1/2 when we're there) would love this...she's a HUGE fan of pirates in general and of course Jake, Hook, Peter Pan specifically. What kind of 'snacks and drinks' are served? Is it worth the cost? We were also thinking of doing the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party - would this be worth doing instead of, or in addition to?

It's funny - we stayed at the Polynesian during our last trip and fell in love with it. I would have stayed there again in a heartbeat, but we really want to try something different this time. While I'm not wowed by the 'theming' at the CR, the proximity to the MK really sold me. I'm really hoping we all fall in love with it.

Can't wait to keep reading all the great info on here....thanks to everyone!
Old 11-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #3002
MommaBarb
Mouseketeer

We looked into David's to rent a one bedroom for the first week of April, but they couldn't find anything, many times. I tried another place and they had everything we wanted, but we couldn't make up our minds. With the discount that came out (35% off the room), it's cheaper to stay in the garden wing at CR. It's only about $600, but we have time to save for it vs having to pay for the room up front.

For us it's way more about location than the room anyway.
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #3003
jaz0308
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebrown96 View Post
This whole thread is A-MAY-ZING! :-) I am not even half-way through but have learned so much.

We're making our second family Disney trip in May 2014 and have a Garden Wing/Standard View room booked right now. I had been contemplating upgrading to a tower room if discounts are released for that time, but am rethinking that. On our previous trip (May 2012), we were in the parks the vast majority of the time and hardly spent any time at the resort, let alone in our room. I think we'll be perfectly content with our Garden Wing room and then be able to use any money saved if a discount is released towards 'extras' that we may not have done otherwise.

Which leads me to my question. What can you tell me about the Pirates and Pals cruise? I think our DD (will be 6 1/2 when we're there) would love this...she's a HUGE fan of pirates in general and of course Jake, Hook, Peter Pan specifically. What kind of 'snacks and drinks' are served? Is it worth the cost? We were also thinking of doing the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party - would this be worth doing instead of, or in addition to?

It's funny - we stayed at the Polynesian during our last trip and fell in love with it. I would have stayed there again in a heartbeat, but we really want to try something different this time. While I'm not wowed by the 'theming' at the CR, the proximity to the MK really sold me. I'm really hoping we all fall in love with it.

Can't wait to keep reading all the great info on here....thanks to everyone!
Hi! We did the Pirates and Pals cruise last summer and we LOVED it! It is pricey but I thought it was well worth it...especially if your child loves pirates! Snacks were just ok. I remember popcorn, cookies, cake, gold (chocolate) coins, mickey bars, fruit bars, lemonade, iced tea and probably a couple other things. Hook and Smee met for pics while you are snacking. The pirates that take you out are awesome! So entertaining for kids and adults! Cruise was awesome with pirate giving out prizes to all the kids. We watched wishes from the boat and then headed back. We were "surprised" by Peter Pan upon our return and he was very cool! One of my favorite meet and greets of the whole trip. The worst part for us was trying to get back on the monorail to get to Poly at that hour but for you staying in the CR you can go right back to your room. I highly recommend it!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #3004
Disney44please
Mouse Hater?

Hey guys, can you take me off the log-rail? We changed our reservations to the WL and saved so much money we booked a second trip!! We are going on our new first trip to the CSR for 6 nights this December!! We will still go on our April trip also, so I am doubly excited now!!!

Disney Stays:
December 2013 - 7 Nights @ Coronado Springs
April 2014 - 7 Nights @ Wilderness Lodge

Upcoming Trips:
Old 11-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #3005
Tebrown96
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0308 View Post
Hi! We did the Pirates and Pals cruise last summer and we LOVED it! It is pricey but I thought it was well worth it...especially if your child loves pirates! Snacks were just ok. I remember popcorn, cookies, cake, gold (chocolate) coins, mickey bars, fruit bars, lemonade, iced tea and probably a couple other things. Hook and Smee met for pics while you are snacking. The pirates that take you out are awesome! So entertaining for kids and adults! Cruise was awesome with pirate giving out prizes to all the kids. We watched wishes from the boat and then headed back. We were "surprised" by Peter Pan upon our return and he was very cool! One of my favorite meet and greets of the whole trip. The worst part for us was trying to get back on the monorail to get to Poly at that hour but for you staying in the CR you can go right back to your room. I highly recommend it!
Awesome, thank you so much for your reply! Sounds fantastc, I think we'll do it! Do you have any experience with the Tomorrowland Terrace dessert party? Is the cruise better? Should we try to do both? TIA!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #3006
jaz0308
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Awesome, thank you so much for your reply! Sounds fantastc, I think we'll do it! Do you have any experience with the Tomorrowland Terrace dessert party? Is the cruise better? Should we try to do both? TIA!

No, unfortunately we have not tried the dessert party. DD has peanut allergy so she couldn't eat anything! i'm sure others would have info though! have fun!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #3007
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We've done the dessert party 4 times, but have never done the Pirate Cruise. I can answer any dessert party questions you have, but I won't be able to give you a comparison
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #3008
yce22princess
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We've done both and my vote would be for the Pirates and Pals cruise. My daughters, 7 and 4, had a blast and so did the adults! As for the dessert party, you get a slightly different view of the fireworks and the dessert was pretty good, but we think we got more of our money's worth out of the cruise for sure.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #3009
Disney Mommy D
Mouseketeer

Hi all! I am just beginning to plan our second trip to WDW. We will be staying at the Contemporary. I am leaning toward going April 27-May 1 or May 4-8. Does anyone have feedback on which week they think would be better for crowds?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #3010
Pjimmeyer
1000th Happy Haunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy D View Post
Hi all! I am just beginning to plan our second trip to WDW. We will be staying at the Contemporary. I am leaning toward going April 27-May 1 or May 4-8. Does anyone have feedback on which week they think would be better for crowds?
Hi I would guess both would be very similar being after spring break and before summer ramps up. Cinco De Mayo weekend can be a busy time at Disneyland but I don't think it's as big of a deal at WDW.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #3011
KathieSmallwood
Mouseketeer

kathies

Just got back from a 7 day stay at Bay Lake Tower in a one bed room theme park view and it was wonderful. It's depressing being back in cold Ohio . I want to go back so bad.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #3012
thornphoenix
Earning My Ears

Are CR Tower rooms available for discounts?

Hi all!!

I've been reading through pages of this wonderful post, but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, so I apologize if this is common knowledge.

Are room only discounts (non-AP and AP) typically available for the CR Tower rooms or are those type of rooms typically excluded/restricted from room only discounts? The reason I'm asking about both non-AP and AP room-only discounts is because we know we'll be staying at least 10-days, which would mean no AP, or we may be staying longer than 10 days, which means we'd likely get APs.

Also, if I book my CR Tower room 499 days out, but the discounts don't come out until, say, 3-4 months before travel, can the discount be applied to an existing reservation or are the discounts only for new reservations?

We're planning a trip for Sept/Oct 2015 so still a ways out, however I'm glad to be planning early as it appears things are way more complicated since we last visited.

Thanks very much for your helpful knowledge!!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #3013
GovieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornphoenix View Post
Are room only discounts (non-AP and AP) typically available for the CR Tower rooms or are those type of rooms typically excluded/restricted from room only discounts?
We were fortunate enough to get a 35% room-only discount in the Tower for February. The theme-park view rooms were excluded, so we had to get Bay Lake side, which I know will still be wonderful. We felt lucky to get that, as the CR has often either been excluded from discounts altogether, or else at a measly 5%. Best of luck!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #3014
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornphoenix View Post
Hi all!!

I've been reading through pages of this wonderful post, but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, so I apologize if this is common knowledge.

Are room only discounts (non-AP and AP) typically available for the CR Tower rooms or are those type of rooms typically excluded/restricted from room only discounts? The reason I'm asking about both non-AP and AP room-only discounts is because we know we'll be staying at least 10-days, which would mean no AP, or we may be staying longer than 10 days, which means we'd likely get APs.

Also, if I book my CR Tower room 499 days out, but the discounts don't come out until, say, 3-4 months before travel, can the discount be applied to an existing reservation or are the discounts only for new reservations?

We're planning a trip for Sept/Oct 2015 so still a ways out, however I'm glad to be planning early as it appears things are way more complicated since we last visited.

Thanks very much for your helpful knowledge!!
Tower rooms are usually included in discounts, but as the pp mentioned, sometimes they are on the lower end (5% or 20% vs 30-35%). When we were looking at going this December, the tower rooms were discounted 20%, but the new discount that just came out for January-March include CR tower rooms at 35% (at least that's what they are for the dates we were looking at for March). Whether or not a particular room type is included in a promo depends on how many rooms need to be filled for a particular time frame.

If you book early and a discount comes out later, your reservation can be modified to reflect the discount, provided the resort/room type you have booked is available under that promo. Sometimes you have to be flexible with your resort/room type as having a reservation already in place does not guarantee a discount can be applied.

HTH .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #3015
thornphoenix
Earning My Ears

GovieMom and Mickeynut, thanks so much for sharing your experiences and knowledge on the CR Tower rooms and potential discounts. I'm looking to book a bay lake view instead of theme park view so hopefully we'll get lucky and a room only discount can be applied. Although 30-35% would be phenomenal, I'm not expecting that and will be happy with 25, 20, or even a 5% discount.....better than nothing...or actually it just occurred to me I should do my original booking using a AAA discount, which I think is more than 5%, and then I'll change to a room-only discount if it's a better deal.

Thanks again!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: