Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #2791
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMySoldier07 View Post
Room 4911- view from entrance
Thank you so much for sharing!! They really did do a fantastic job renovating.

We had dinner at California Grill last week. Loved seeing the renovated restaurant. I like it. Food was great, service pretty good too.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #2792
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Mice Age has several vintage photos posted of the Contemporary Resort. Several are of the old Grand Canyon Concourse with the faux "trees". When I stayed at the resort as a young child, the tress always fascinated me.

http://micechat.com/43183-1970s-walt...-world-resort/

Last edited by crazy4wdw; 09-23-2013 at 12:32 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #2793
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Walt Disney World Resorts to Enforce Pool Hours

Leah Zanolla | Posted: Sep 22, 2013 | Updated: Sep 22, 2013 - 8:43:15 PM

New rules will be in force for the pools at the Walt Disney World resorts beginning this November. Not all the pools are fenced in, so even when they are officially closed, guests are still able to swim, though there are no lifeguards overnight. Fences will be added around any pools that don't currently have them, so guests will only have access when there are lifeguards on duty. The pools will be closed from 11:00pm to 7:00am.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #2794
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Walt Disney World Resorts to Enforce Pool Hours

Leah Zanolla | Posted: Sep 22, 2013 | Updated: Sep 22, 2013 - 8:43:15 PM

New rules will be in force for the pools at the Walt Disney World resorts beginning this November. Not all the pools are fenced in, so even when they are officially closed, guests are still able to swim, though there are no lifeguards overnight. Fences will be added around any pools that don't currently have them, so guests will only have access when there are lifeguards on duty. The pools will be closed from 11:00pm to 7:00am.
Darn! No midnight skinny dipping? Trip ruined. Lol j/k
Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #2795
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

How often do they do the soft goods refurb at the Contemporary? Judging from pictures, it looks like yearly?

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!

Old 09-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #2796
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw View Post
Mice Age has several vintage photos posted of the Contemporary Resort. Several are of the old Grand Canyon Concourse with the faux "trees". When I stayed at the resort as a young child, the tress always fascinated me.

http://micechat.com/43183-1970s-walt...-world-resort/
Thank you for posting the link for everyone. I just love vintage WDW Resort photos. Boy, the arcade sure had a lot of air hockey tables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynanacat View Post
Darn! No midnight skinny dipping? Trip ruined. Lol j/k
Well, you may have to skinny dip in broad daylight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwdisney View Post
How often do they do the soft goods refurb at the Contemporary? Judging from pictures, it looks like yearly?
Usually, the non-DVC resorts are on a 6-8 year rehab schedule.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #2797
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
I asked before, but I'm not sure it was answered. The bridge comes across on the fifth floor of BLT, right? Is that the floor that would also be even with the monorail, then? We also don't want to be super high, but were unsure as to whether the monorail would completely obstruct your view if you were in the fifth or sixth floor. Thanks!
Yes, that's right. The 5th floor of BLT has the bridge that leads to the 4th floor of CR. Once on the 4th floor, you must take the escalator or elevator if you have a wheelchair or stroller, to the monorail. The monorail track doesn't obstruct your BLT view since it's not directly in front nor that close and it's rather narrow.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #2798
emcclay
Mouseketeer

Unfortunately, my parents and I will not be staying at CR in January. When I went to book our vacation through The Hub, there was only Atrium CL left! We opted for two weeks at BC instead.

December 2003 - ASMu January 2008 - Wyndham BC October 2011 - CSR March 2012 - CSR January 2014 - BC
Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #2799
burg
Earning My Ears

Suites discount

Just wanted to share that apparently suites are available at a discount for early-mid December. We will be staying at the Bay Lake View VP Suite for 10 nights at this time of December and I was able to secure a 5% discount for the entire stay. May not be as interesting as the 30% for regular rooms, but makes for a nice saving nonetheless.

Happy to share thoughts and pictures of the updated suite after our stay, in case that's of interest!

Cheers,
Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #2800
YCFAN

Have you seen my tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burg View Post
Suites discount Just wanted to share that apparently suites are available at a discount for early-mid December. We will be staying at the Bay Lake View VP Suite for 10 nights at this time of December and I was able to secure a 5% discount for the entire stay. May not be as interesting as the 30% for regular rooms, but makes for a nice saving nonetheless. Happy to share thoughts and pictures of the updated suite after our stay, in case that's of interest! Cheers,
Thank you very much for posting this and yes, I would be very interested!!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #2801
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, that's right. The 5th floor of BLT has the bridge that leads to the 4th floor of CR. Once on the 4th floor, you must take the escalator or elevator if you have a wheelchair or stroller, to the monorail. The monorail track doesn't obstruct your BLT view since it's not directly in front nor that close and it's rather narrow.
Thanks, Kook!! I kind of assumed that, but then I wondered why everyone always suggested to request 8 th floor or higher.
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #2802
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcclay View Post
Unfortunately, my parents and I will not be staying at CR in January. When I went to book our vacation through The Hub, there was only Atrium CL left! We opted for two weeks at BC instead.
I'm sorry you had to change, but people do cancel and change their reservations all the time so something might open up. If you're still interested in CR, you might want to check periodically for availability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burg View Post
Suites discount

Just wanted to share that apparently suites are available at a discount for early-mid December. We will be staying at the Bay Lake View VP Suite for 10 nights at this time of December and I was able to secure a 5% discount for the entire stay. May not be as interesting as the 30% for regular rooms, but makes for a nice saving nonetheless.

Happy to share thoughts and pictures of the updated suite after our stay, in case that's of interest!

Cheers,
to the DIS and the CR/BLT thread!

Thank you for posting about your discount rate on the suites. Something is always better than nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
Thanks, Kook!! I kind of assumed that, but then I wondered why everyone always suggested to request 8 th floor or higher.
You're welcome. I think people sometimes like a more commanding view. The MKV rooms do have a view of the parking lot below, so maybe people like to be higher so they feel further away from it.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #2803
WDWKOOK

Pool Closure/Fence Update

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
11:06 a.m. EDT, September 26, 2013

Walt Disney World says it will begin stationing lifeguards at its largest hotel pools during all operating hours and then locking them down overnight, six months after a young boy drowned while a pool was unguarded.

Disney says its largest and most popular "feature" pools will begin opening at either 7 a.m. or 9 a.m. and closing at 11 p.m. Lifeguards will be on duty at all times while the pools are open.

But guests will no longer be permitted to swim in the feature pools after hours. Disney plans to install fences around any of those pools that are not already gated, a process that will begin in the coming months as hotels roll through their regular renovation cycles.

Only smaller and unguarded "quiet" pools at some hotels will remain accessible at all hours.

Disney has about two dozen hotels and time-share resorts across its sprawling property.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #2804
princessap
DIS Veteran

Can you please add me to the list....September 21-29 CR/garden wing...but am contemplating renting points for BLT!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #2805
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
11:06 a.m. EDT, September 26, 2013

Walt Disney World says it will begin stationing lifeguards at its largest hotel pools during all operating hours and then locking them down overnight, six months after a young boy drowned while a pool was unguarded.

Disney says its largest and most popular "feature" pools will begin opening at either 7 a.m. or 9 a.m. and closing at 11 p.m. Lifeguards will be on duty at all times while the pools are open.

But guests will no longer be permitted to swim in the feature pools after hours. Disney plans to install fences around any of those pools that are not already gated, a process that will begin in the coming months as hotels roll through their regular renovation cycles.

Only smaller and unguarded "quiet" pools at some hotels will remain accessible at all hours.

Disney has about two dozen hotels and time-share resorts across its sprawling property.
Thanks for this information .

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
Can you please add me to the list....September 21-29 CR/garden wing...but am contemplating renting points for BLT!!!
Congrats on booking the CR .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: