Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #2176
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhinn89 View Post
Personally, I think CL is nice but not worth the $1,750. I know we will never eat or drink enough of their offerings to even come close to the price and I don't think the offerings are all that great, at least for my picky bunch.

I would compromise between the two (CL and GW) and stay in the tower. We love the BLV because we love to look at the water. There is always something going on and it is so pretty. Or you could stay in a TPV for a little more money if you prefer looking at the castle. At night it is beautiful. In the day, not so much. I think the huge parking lot distracts. I also like the convenience of the tower to the food court and shops. The walk from the GW is not bad unless it is raining out or you are extremely tired with hurting feet at the end of the day, then it is like, UGH I wish I could just take the elevator upstairs. Also when my kids were teens/tweens, I would let them go down together to get food or refill their drinks and I knew it was just down the elevator.

Which ever you pick, I am sure you will have a great time. It is Disney
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
Okay Candace let me give you some thoughts on your CR dilemma.

When the kids begged us to stay at CR, I mentioned to DH that we could save some money and stay in the GW. He looked at me like I had three heads and said why on earth would we stay at the CR and not stay in the tower He felt that the whole point of staying at the CR is to be in the tower.

So as you know our two trips were what you are contemplating, BLV CL and TPV no CL. For my kids having a view of the MK trumps all else, they said they missed the snack room but absolutely loved being able to see the MK at all times in the room. I know it will be hot when you go, and the balcony is not a big deal, but just picture the girl's faces pushed up against the sliding glass door every morning and every night watching the park wake up and shut down. DH even felt having the TPV was magical, and DH is not a Disney lover For us, the decision not to do CL again is easy because of Steven's food allergies. But we honestly felt that by planning and having soda, water, juice boxes, and snacks in the room, we honestly did not miss CL that much. Yes, I missed the convenience of grabbing a quick breakfast while everyone was getting ready, but for us the TPV was worth much more.

Of course I have not stayed in the GW, so I cannot compare, but we did have a wonderful trip over to the GW for laundry The first thing I noticed was the hallways, they were dark and just "normal hotel hallways" not much different than WL actually. But that stood out because in the tower, there is not enclosed hallways, it is a row of rooms on one side and then the openness of the tower on the other and just so bright and inviting. My kids loved looking over the railing to see what was going on in the concourse. I know this is a small thing, but it was something that helped to add to the uniqueness of the tower. When we stayed BLV CL, the kids would literally sit out in front of the door and just watch the monorail come through.

I know you will have a fabulous time no matter what you chose, but I think CL or non CL, you will really LOVE being in the tower. It will be a new experience to add to your memories
100% agree. We stayed in the North Wing (pre-BLT) and, while we had a great time, decided that we would not return to the CR again unless it is in the tower. It just felt more "magical" in the tower to us and the CR grounds leave much to be desired in comparison to the GF, Poly and WL.

Unless you have money to burn, I would not bother with CL. I would just stick with that amazing view from the tower and being immersed in that lively atmosphere.
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #2177
mcarr1635
DVC Member since 1996

Question Cl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhinn89 View Post
Personally, I think CL is nice but not worth the $1,750. I know we will never eat or drink enough of their offerings to even come close to the price and I don't think the offerings are all that great, at least for my picky bunch.

I would compromise between the two (CL and GW) and stay in the tower. We love the BLV because we love to look at the water. There is always something going on and it is so pretty. Or you could stay in a TPV for a little more money if you prefer looking at the castle. At night it is beautiful. In the day, not so much. I think the huge parking lot distracts. I also like the convenience of the tower to the food court and shops. The walk from the GW is not bad unless it is raining out or you are extremely tired with hurting feet at the end of the day, then it is like, UGH I wish I could just take the elevator upstairs. Also when my kids were teens/tweens, I would let them go down together to get food or refill their drinks and I knew it was just down the elevator.

Which ever you pick, I am sure you will have a great time. It is Disney

I am new to these abbreviations. I think GW stands for Garden Wing at the Contemporary, but what does CL stand for?
7-1957 Disneyland, 7-1976 WDW – Polynesian ,9-1976 WDW – off premises, 7-1979 WDW – Polynesian, 7-1995 WDW – Boardwalk & Laurel and Hardy Carnival Cruise (4 nights), 12-1996 * Bought into Disney Vacation Club (260 points), 2-1997 Hilton Head, 7-1997 Hilton Head – Grand Villa , 9-1997 WDW - Old Key West, 12-1997 Aruba , 7-1998 Vero Beach, 5-1999 WDW – Boardwalk, Polynesian ,12-1999 WDW – Boardwalk ,7-2000 Clearwater, FL, 12-2000 Disney Cruise - Disney Wonder (3 nights, Eastern Caribbean) , 3-2002 Carnival Cruise – Triumph (7 nights, Eastern Caribbean) , 3-2003 * Bought 100 additional points in Disney Vacation Club, 4-2003 WDW – Port Orleans Riverside, 7-2003 Hilton Head – Grand Villa, 4-2004 WDW – Beach Club Villas, 7-2004 Punta Cana , 5-2005 Disney Cruise - Disney Magic (7 nights, Eastern Caribbean) & WDW – Grand Floridian,
7-2007 WDW trade (RCI) – West Palm Beach, FL, 4-2008 WDW – Boardwalk , 9-2009 Disney Cruise - Disney Magic (7 nights, Western Caribbean), 7-2010 Hilton Head – Grand Villa
, 7-2012 Hilton Head - Grand Villa, 1-2014 Bay Lake Tower, 7-2014 Hilton Head - Grand Villa
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #2178
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarr1635 View Post
I am new to these abbreviations. I think GW stands for Garden Wing at the Contemporary, but what does CL stand for?
Club Level
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #2179
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:

"Club Level" or "Concierge Level" with the added amenities and special guest lounge.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #2180
wdhinn89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
"Club Level" or "Concierge Level" with the added amenities and special guest lounge.
and BLV= Bay Lake View, TPV= Theme Park View & BLT= Bay Lake Tower
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #2181
TSR6
CT

Here's a video I took from the top of the Contemporary Resort of the Wishes show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_dHCYnau-8
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #2182
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
100% agree. We stayed in the North Wing (pre-BLT) and, while we had a great time, decided that we would not return to the CR again unless it is in the tower. It just felt more "magical" in the tower to us and the CR grounds leave much to be desired in comparison to the GF, Poly and WL.

Unless you have money to burn, I would not bother with CL. I would just stick with that amazing view from the tower and being immersed in that lively atmosphere.
There's just that small part of me that loves the fact that I'm on the monorail for $201/night!!! It's like a miracle that should not be ignored!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #2183
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Help??
What is a Log-orail?
It's a running list that WDWKOOK started that lists everyone with upcoming stays at the CR. You don't have to have your trip listed if you don't want to, but it is a fun way to see who has an upcoming trip .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 07-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #2184
twodogs
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobern View Post
Ok I am so confused about BLT. We did a cash reservation through Disney. What added benefits do we receive rather than renting points? Do we get daily housekeeping? What does that entail? (I read somewhere they wash your dishes for you?). We have a 2 bedroom lake view reserved. Does that mean we have no chance of even a partial MK view (do we face towards WL?)? We have never stayed at a DVC resort before and only stayed at POR once this past May so this is all still very new to me. Also where do we check in? At the BLT building or do we have to go to the main Contemporary building? I just need to get my bearing because I do not want to drag the 2 kids around more than we have to . Also if I have a stroller rental arriving at the resort where would it be at BLT or CR?

Thank you, I know I sound like a dunce
Your stroller will be dropped off at the Contemporary Bell Desk, regardless of whether you are staying at the Contemporary or Bay Lake Towers. I find it's easiest to check in at CR when we stay at BLT because we'd have to go there to get our stroller and request that our groceries be brought up from Bell Services. The walk between CR lobby and BLT takes less than 5 minutes, and has stunning views if you use the sky bridge!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 AM   #2185
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogs View Post

Your stroller will be dropped off at the Contemporary Bell Desk, regardless of whether you are staying at the Contemporary or Bay Lake Towers. I find it's easiest to check in at CR when we stay at BLT because we'd have to go there to get our stroller and request that our groceries be brought up from Bell Services. The walk between CR lobby and BLT takes less than 5 minutes, and has stunning views if you use the sky bridge!
Thank you! I am just trying to eliminate a ton of back and forth with the kids (they get cranky easily). We are going to check in, unload the vehicles then make a run to Publix for supplies. I am hesitant to buy cold stuff on our way to the hotel in case our room is not ready yet.
May 2014 - Coronado Springs
May 2014 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge Studio
Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #2186
familyabgar
Mouseketeer

Phew! We were able to snag 2 GW STD view rooms for our dates yesterday, to be in addition to our 2 bedroom BLT BLV villa. That was a huge savings for the 4 ppl in those two rooms. So now we have a party of 6 adults 1 toddler in the villa, and then two couples (one with infant) in two separate GW rooms.

My bro's gf can't understand why we want to spend so much money on going to Disney--she's only ever stayed offsite. I really hope she enjoys this trip and doesn't worry about money too much!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #2187
Diz Kids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyquinn View Post
Me too!! When are you going? We don't have APs yet. I've got to pick up my TA comp ticket, so I can't schedule any FP+ for myself only DH and DD who I bought 10 day PH for with the intention of bridging to APs.
We are going on 8/15 for 3 nights before moving over to CSR with my in-laws. We are definately doing it backwards - starting with CL deluxe and then moving to a moderate!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #2188
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

As of now, we are scheduled to be at BLT from 12/16-12/21. Will be reading this thread until then.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Old 07-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #2189
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyabgar View Post
Phew! We were able to snag 2 GW STD view rooms for our dates yesterday, to be in addition to our 2 bedroom BLT BLV villa. That was a huge savings for the 4 ppl in those two rooms. So now we have a party of 6 adults 1 toddler in the villa, and then two couples (one with infant) in two separate GW rooms.

My bro's gf can't understand why we want to spend so much money on going to Disney--she's only ever stayed offsite. I really hope she enjoys this trip and doesn't worry about money too much!
what are your dates?? I am trying to book std gw room for next september and never anything available
Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #2190
familyabgar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
what are your dates?? I am trying to book std gw room for next september and never anything available
May 19-25. Either my sister or myself has just been checking periodically. My sister and TA were both able to call Disney direct to get a garden view GW wing that was not listed as available on the website.

Keep trying! Good luck!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: