Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
MegB
Mouseketeer

Looking for NON DFTW venues

Haven't been on in a while and am now interested in looking at Florida for a wedding destination. I will only be in Florida for 2 days in February and am looking to schedule some appointments to see if a wedding in Florida is going to beat out a hometown wedding in Boston.

Here's what I have so far:
Disney Fairytale Weddings
Mission Inn Country Club - Howey-in-the-Hills
The Royal Crest Room
Orlando World Center Marriott
Onmi Champions Gate Resort

Has anyone out there planned, or attended, a wedding outside of WDW? I think I would like an outdoor garden, perhaps on the water. I really like the look of Port Orleans Riverside gardens and architecure, but Disney won't allow weddings at POR.

I'd like to come up with a list of about 6 places to see in the 2 days I have to look. Ideas, please?
MegB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Other options on Disney property are
  • Shades of Green
  • Swan & Dolphin
  • Rix Lounge at Coronado Springs Resort

Some off-site venue ideas
  • Casa Feliz
  • Kraft Azalea Garden
  • Maitland Art Center

I have photos of the first four at the bottom of this page: http://disneytravelbabble.com/disney...-venue-photos/
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
sarahb01
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegB View Post

Has anyone out there planned, or attended, a wedding outside of WDW? I think I would like an outdoor garden, perhaps on the water. I really like the look of Port Orleans Riverside gardens and architecure, but Disney won't allow weddings at POR.

I'd like to come up with a list of about 6 places to see in the 2 days I have to look. Ideas, please?
I am currently planning a Swan wedding at crescent terrace. Swan weddings are planned through a company called Just Marry! They have been wonderful to work with so far.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
MegB
Mouseketeer

lurkyloo - I've been watching you watch everyone else for a few years now and I'm so not surprized that you were the first to respond! LOL Thank you for the great suggestions.

SarahB - I'll have to research the Swan/Dolphin. I love both, but the decor is so over the top in general that I don't know if it would fit the bill for me. I'll have to go online and check out their wedding spaces and Crescent Room. Thank you.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
MickeysStarTrader
I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my squishy

It's also possible to get married in Downtown Disney at:
  • The House of Blues
  • Fulton's Crab House
  • Characters in Flight (the hot air balloon)

There's also some cool places at Universal Studios, not sure if you would prefer to stick to the Disney area?
MickeysStarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
MegB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeysStarTrader View Post
It's also possible to get married in Downtown Disney at:
  • The House of Blues
  • Fulton's Crab House
  • Characters in Flight (the hot air balloon)

There's also some cool places at Universal Studios, not sure if you would prefer to stick to the Disney area?
Thanks, MickeysStarTrader. (My WDW College Program roommate worked there way back when!)

I've always loved the Empress Lilly (I still have trouble calling it a "crab house"). I'll look into that.

I'm looking everywhere. So far, just via web browsing, my favorites are Mission Inn Resort and Country Club (an hours drive from WDW) and Casa Feliz, which was LurkyLoo's suggestion.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Evi
DIS Veteran

Hi Meg,

Are you comparing price in Orlando to Boston? I've juggled this one as I'm local too. If you ever want to talk options differences I'd be happy to go over some info I've come across. I was originally planning to get married in Rockport but then decided on a DFTW Cruise wedding. I'd be happy to help if I can.

Evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
ShanaMouse
Mouseketeer

initially we were planning a wedding at the Buena Vista Palace in the downtown disney area. They were great to work with and we just ended up elsewhere because we had to postpone the wedding and then our date was not available there.
ShanaMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
MegB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
Hi Meg,

Are you comparing price in Orlando to Boston? I've juggled this one as I'm local too. If you ever want to talk options differences I'd be happy to go over some info I've come across. I was originally planning to get married in Rockport but then decided on a DFTW Cruise wedding. I'd be happy to help if I can.
Hi Evi, If you are in the Rockport area I think we live pretty close. I am on the North Shore too. I have been comparing. We fell in love with Willowdale Estates and pretty much had my heart set on it, then I got the pricing. Yikes! Also, my brother owns an event rental company, so we had talked a lot about an at home wedding and since all the rental stuff would be free we could go wild with everything else. But once again, the caterer I would want is one of the best in the area and those Boston prices gave me sticker shock again.
Disney Weddings would cost about the same as Boston. However, I'm finding that if I go off property a little bit, the really nice country clubs in the Orlando area are georgeous and are really priced great.
I'd love to get some ideas from your experiences.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
Evi
DIS Veteran

Hi Meg,

I'm in Boston. Like minds hehe Willowedale is beautiful and though they don't advertise this a whole lot they are a steal if you do a winter wedding. The price drops down to less then 50% of the rest of the year essentially they don't charge you the base fee and only charge you for catering. I really fell in love the the Shalin Liu performance center and as I was about to book them they more then doubled their rental cost. I still think the view is priceless. Then I sort of got it into my head that we should elope and started planning on eloping to Disney. I was less then impressed with the location choices for what would count as an elopement with disney their Memories package. When my sisters found out they told me I had to have a wedding they could come too. I looked into escapes but when I found out you could get married on board one of their cruises I knew this was perfect for me. I think you should definitely price out your options and look at as many pictures and read reviews from other brides. There are lots of great choices in Orlando and Boston. I didn't look into anything non disney as I had made up my mind once I let go of Shalin Liu, I knew I wanted a DFTW Cruise Wedding. I think its great that your going to take a trip to see some places. I def think its worth contacting DFTW and looking at the options. You made no mention of guest count or budget, that information can help brides point you at your best options. You've gotten a good list of the venues available. If you have any questions regarding cruise weddings I'd be happy to share the info I have so far.

Last edited by Evi; 01-18-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #11
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Another shout out for S/D weddings. We had our VR in the West Courtyard, and it is ideal for smaller weddings/VRs. It can seat up to about 30 guests.
I am sorry that you think the decor over the top - I always think that the S/D is rather contemporary and elegant, but I appreciate it is not to everyone's taste.
Here are some shots of the West Courtyard for you

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
MegB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
You made no mention of guest count or budget, that information can help brides point you at your best options. You've gotten a good list of the venues available. If you have any questions regarding cruise weddings I'd be happy to share the info I have so far.
Evi - Thanks for the tips. We have a guest list of 150 - but who knows how many will travel for the Boston Bride or the Virginia Groom. I would really like to try to keep absolutely everything under $25,000 - you can all laugh now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
Another shout out for S/D weddings. We had our VR in the West Courtyard, and it is ideal for smaller weddings/VRs. It can seat up to about 30 guests. I am sorry that you think the decor over the top - I always think that the S/D is rather contemporary and elegant, but I appreciate it is not to everyone's taste. Here are some shots of the West Courtyard for you [IMG]
Tink - I love the Swan and Dolphin, always have. I just wasn't looking for a contemporary wedding setting. Your wedding photos are absolutely stunning. I love the columns with the floral urns. Just beautiful. Was Randy Chapman your photographer? He is one of the reason's I want Florida so badly. I cannot imagine anyone other than Randy taking my wedding photos.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
MegB
Mouseketeer

Tink - Did Disney do your floral arrangements? Or an outside vendor. They are really stunning!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
MegB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Other options on Disney property are
  • Shades of Green
  • Swan & Dolphin
  • Rix Lounge at Coronado Springs Resort
Some off-site venue ideas
  • Casa Feliz
  • Kraft Azalea Garden
  • Maitland Art Center
I have photos of the first four at the bottom of this page: http://disneytravelbabble.com/disney...-venue-photos/
lurkyloo - thank you again for your ideas and the link (to your blog?). What a great list you've compiled and the photos are so helpful.

I've fallen in love with Casa Feliz online and plan on visiting them. Here's my list of site visits so far:
World Center Marriott - was there in Nov, but the pool was ripped up and is finished now.
Courtyard at Lake Lucerne
Casa Feliz
Disney Fairytale Weddings
Mission Inn

Still waiting to here back from The Royal Crest Room and Omni Champions Gate.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

If ANYONE attending your wedding has Department of the Defense ID/privileges (military, retired military, working for the military, etc) they can sponsor you to get married at Shades of Green at Disney World(they are right across from the Poly)

My DH is retired military, and we paid a whopping total of $125 to rent their Gazebo....I tout myself as having the cheapest Disney wedding ever!!
They have an area big enough for many guests, and you can decorate the gazebo to your own taste.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: