Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
charminnie
Mouseketeer

Dining plan for family of four?

Trying to decide if dining plan is a good idea for family of four, kids ages 7 and 5. We will be there 5 nights. My husband likes to sit down and eat a good meal, gets tired of QS. We will probably do 4 table services during our trip. If paying out of pocket we would not always order dessert, but we generally buy at least 2 refillabke mugs. Please help. Do you think dining plan is a good value for us?
charminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

You'll probably have to look at some sample menus and price compare what you think you would purchase vs. the cost of the plan.

In favor of the plan - the kids' daily rate is not all that high and you have 2 kids.

But, kids' meals aren't all that bad out of pocket either.

The other issues, IMHO, are which meal you want to sit down for for instance, breakfast or lunch could be cheaper than dinner, and whether you want pricey meals such as character meals. If you're going to do character meals, especially dinners (and btw, you'll want reservations before you go, if so -- some places fill up around 180 days in advance), they can really add up, and the DP may make sense.

Disney has it worked out pretty well to where they aren't going to be losing money on you either way, lol.

My gut says you'll probably do well on the DP.
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by charminnie View Post
Trying to decide if dining plan is a good idea for family of four, kids ages 7 and 5. We will be there 5 nights. My husband likes to sit down and eat a good meal, gets tired of QS. We will probably do 4 table services during our trip. If paying out of pocket we would not always order dessert, but we generally buy at least 2 refillabke mugs. Please help. Do you think dining plan is a good value for us?
check out allears.net and look at the menus and the prices.

For my family of 4 its is no deal, in fact its about 40/day more expensive then we normally spend.

The trick is to calculate how you eat naturally. take the price out of the equation. YOu say you don't order dessert is that because of the price or because you just generally don't eat dessert every night.

My family rarely eats dessert, free or not and definitely would not eat it 4 days straight so the ddp lost value for me when they took away the apps.

Also remember the ddp no longer covers tips.
Are you going to do character meals and buffets? Those are where the ddp may save you some money.

I would plan out 4 nights of menus, pretend that you are ordering and then compare the cost.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

i do it out of convenience..so i have that expense paid for before i go..but with 2 kids its more apt to be worth it..since its cheaper..i have a 12 yr old who doesnt eat alot,,so its not worth it to me..since she is adult price. If you go with basic dining plan..eat a TS meal in the evening...it costs more so makes DDP more worth it ..as opposed to eating a TS meal at breakfast. But as previous poster said look at menus figure out what your kids will eat and if its worth it to you.
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
charminnie
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all your advice. I have started to look at menus and prices. Haven't finished yet but looks like DP will be worth it for us. We are planning to book at least two character meals, which are very pricy.
charminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by charminnie View Post
My first impulse is to say that is *is* worth it for a family of 4 with 2 "Disney Kids" especially if you plan on doing character meals or buffets. I don't know when you are going, but the cost for the DDP for 2 adults and 2 children is approximately $150 per day. Dinner at Chef Mickey's is $125 for your family, so you would only have to spend $25 on 4 QS meals and 4 snacks to "break even". Like the others have said, you will have to look at the menus and prices to see if it makes sense for you and your style of eating. If
Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Deshawn27
Earning My Ears

This has made me really evaluate it the Dp is right for our vacation. I will definitely go to allears.net to do some calculations. Thanks so much.
Deshawn27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: