Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
RayB
Mouseketeer

College Program questions

Anybody have any questions, my child started in January, be happy to answer if I can.I really miss him. I click on the hojo cam to at least see the park..
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
AC7179
DIS Veteran

My daughter is really interested in the college program.

How is the program in California? I know in Florida, they have quarters and that kind of thing, what's the living situation like for those working at the DLR?

What kinds of jobs are available?

Does your son like it?

Does he make enough money for living expenses?

Thanks for the offer to answer questions!
AC7179 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
RayB
Mouseketeer

The California program is small about 200 persons, there are like three or four areas, food prep, ride operations, retail,trams/parking forgive me I don't know the names.My kid is in rides, he works in California Adventures, and does the parade and world of color so far.

They have an apartment complex it is near Anaheim city hall/fire station about two miles or so from the park.Carnegie Plaza Apartments...you can google them.They are three or four to a to bedroom apratments.They are really nice apartments, they have great activities for them, all the kids are really wonderful, beautiful kids, the kind you always hope your grow up and hang out with.They are clean cut, polite, the kind you see eveyday in the park.It has made me interact with cast members when I go to the park.I always try and pick one in the worst job who looks like they have had a long day and engage them.They really brighten up that someone talks to them and isn't complaining about something.

The pay isn't great there is some variation, rent runs around $160 a week, they take it out of their check each week, you have to provide renter's insurance and pay first months rent up front.So expect some expenses on the front.

From what I can tell at least in ride operations they treat him well.Also from what I can tell you never tell anyone working there you are in the program to
avoid hostile folks.The ones that don't like you are generally in the food world.Otherwise it has been fine.

Honestly from what I researched California treats them way better than Florida.The Florida program is huge, they have no union, and frankly there are some bad jobs in my opinion.I think he was real lucky to end up in ride operations.

I would also recommend that you apply early, its a small group here, my son is older, I wonder if they have preference for those over 21 for pretty obvious reasons.I think that it was alot easier for him since he was older.As you are probably aware living on your own is really different.

The women to men ratios are like six to one based on my limited observations.The roommates are in all different areas so when you get there you hang out, once you start working not so much since schedules vary.

My son loves it.One of our problems was they drove from Texas, we met them in Las Vegas and spent a couple of days.That really probably wasn't the best way to prepare, but overall we had a blast and son had LV winnings to last the month until he got a check.

And we made some memories along the way.It was weird I was fine until we were getting ready to come home, since we had been hanging out for a few days it was real hard saying goodbye.Much harder for the parents than the kids.The kids got to go to the park the next day, the parents had to ride off into the sunset and back to work.

It is very much a college dorm like setting, everybody doesn't get paid alot, but they all get to go to the parks for free, they got incredible discounts on stuff in January, they get to go to events you and I can only dream about.They are going to ride space mountain with the lights on and check it out in a group, I on the other hand have the rush hour to look forward to.

Overall I think it is an amazing chance to live in amazing place, he seems to love it so far.

Last edited by RayB; 01-31-2013 at 05:00 PM.
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

There is also a huge thread on the main page, but more about the world. My 19 y.o. is about to graduate from college with a B.S. and is applying for the professional internship so we will see how that goes. So far she has been invited twice and declined twice...the openings were not in areas that met her educational expectations...picky,picky,picky.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: