Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
postesf
Keep Pushing

The Polynesian Outdated?

We (3 adults, 1 5 year old) is looking at staying at the Polynesian in May. I've read reviews on other sites that some feel it is outdated. How do you guys feel? Feedback???

We are also considering Art of Animation but I need to sleep in the queen with my son so that means my 70 year old mother would be on the fold out/pull out and I just don't know how comfortable that will be for her.

Thanks for your comments!

OKW 2005 OKW 2006 POP 2008 POFQ 2008 SSR 2008
Check out Stacie's Weight Loss / 1/2 Marathon Journal
postesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
kapoof
DIS Veteran

the poly is a beautiful resort! i would think your mom would be far more comfortable there than at a value. the values house alot of people so it will be crowded, with LONG bus waits and long walks to and fro the bus stop, also when leaving the parks the values have the longest walks to the stop. values are very busy with lots of activity, which is part of their appeal. the poly isn't dated, it is a nice nice place to relax, and the places to eat are awesome! plus the monorail can take you to the mk and epcot. it isn't cheap but worth it!

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
postesf
Keep Pushing

Yes... Good point made on the walk to the bus stops from the parks! Thanks!

OKW 2005 OKW 2006 POP 2008 POFQ 2008 SSR 2008
Check out Stacie's Weight Loss / 1/2 Marathon Journal
postesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

I've been staying at Poly for 30 years and I think it's a classic. They've updated it along the way, and are refurbishing the rooms again right now. But the Poly still retains its original charm. If you go in expecting brand new, you may be disappointed. But if you go in expecting fun and tropical, with great views, solid dining choices and (we think) the best transportation options available on the monorail loop, you'll enjoy!

For us, there is no contest between AoA and Poly. Like kapoof said, taking the bus everywhere and the general atmosphere of a value can't compare to the easy transportation options and relaxing atmosphere of a deluxe like Poly. And I'd try to avoid the pullout - we're a family of five and our older boys are already pullout-averse!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

I always hear people calling Poly "outdated." It's been refurbed just as frequently as all the other deluxe resorts. It's supposed to have that "original Poly" feel with the dark woods & darker colors, it's just the theme. If you want bright, light & airy, the decor is not for you. We LOVE Poly and would be disappointed if they changed the decor! I actually saw pics of the new colors for the refurb happening right now & I don't like the mint green being thrown in. I'm hoping it still has that "old Poly" feel next time we go back!

I've stayed in all levels of WDW Resorts & there is NO comparison between a value & a deluxe. If the price doesn't scare you away, treat yourself & your mom & head to Poly!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I love the Poly for its "classic style" and happy they have preseved it. Its not dingy or run down, just an older style and I think that throws people off.

One of my favorite places to stay!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

You can now forget the other posts. The room refreshes started this week and every room will be done by the end of August. It will be one of the most up to date resorts by the end of the refresh while retaining the charm that makes it the WDW resort with the most returning guests.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

I agree that the Poly is a beautiful resort, but I'm shaking my head a bit over the bus stop thing. If that's your reasoning for paying deluxe over value, well, I'd rather walk the extra 100 feet or so and save 200-300 dollars a day!

Now I know that shorter walks to the bus are not the only reason deluxes are more costly, and if money is no option, I'd definitely pick it. And with your situation it probably makes sense, although for the majority of people, I'd think staying in a brand new resort would be exciting, especially with how much you can save.

I'd also suggest looking in to the suites at AoA. Cost would be similar or slightly more than Poly I think, but you get a little apartment instead of just a tiny room.

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
2manypets
DIS Veteran

Samoa and possibly Rarotonga and Niue should be fresh and updated by May.

2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

We haven't stayed at the Poly since 2011. We did feel the rooms were in need of a spruce up then and it sounds like they have gotten it or are in the process of renovating.

We loved the look of the room and the grounds and wouldn't hesitiate to stay there again. I think the Poly has one of the best pools and by far the best restaurants at WDW.

My only complaint was the noise. Our first room, in Raratonga, was so noisy that we asked to me moved to a quieter location. They were very accomodating and put us on the top floor in a corner room in Fiji. This was much quieter, but we could still almost hear the conversations of the people in the room next to us. Hopefully they've done some soundproofing as well when they've renovated.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Have stayed at Poly, and it's beautiful, no doubt, and sounds like it's about to get even better with some refurb. We're staying at AoA this summer and excited about seeing the new stuff there. If we had a 5yo, I can almost guarantee that AoA would be at or near the top of the list, if only for the theming...it's perfect for that age (based on what I've seen online and heard from lots of folks who have been there already).

As far as mom's comfort on a Murphy bed in an AoA suite, I slept on a Murphy for several nights in a cabin at FW last year and was quite comfortable (and I'm a pretty big dude).

With a 5yo, the only advantage I could see to the Poly is the monorail (assuming you'll be spending some quality time at MK). Obviously, that has a lot of appeal in terms of convenience at beginning and end of day and creates some potential convenience in mid-day if the little one is getting cranky! We stayed a couple of nights at the Contemporary last month and, wow, the convenience of a monorail resort is almost scary.

I now realize I have pretty much suggested that you stay at both Poly and AoA...any chance of a split stay? Ha!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
EPCOTDUDE
Proud father of PosessedEeyore

No Way!

I think the majority of those who call it outdated are not "Disney People". I think a previous poster called it "Classic". I agree!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

i love everything about the poly. i think it is supposed to be a little retro to retain the original charm.

bethclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
jenniferma
DIS Veteran

We are here right now on our first trip! We love it. I knew though from these boards that the rooms were in need of rehab. They are working right now on renos, just make sure you request a renovated room. We are in tokelau. It is in need of renovation.. Mnor things and the bathroom is bad (faucets are old and don't work well, need replaced). The rooms are huge here! We love this resort. I think once the rooms are done it will be even better. We love the location, can't be beat, like it more than
GF even and I wasn't sure if I would, good luck!

DH43, ME41, DD12, DD10 and DD7

jenniferma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
jandkmom
Mouseketeer

It's all a matter of taste. We love the theming of the Poly because it has that classic tropical feel to it...it always feels like a vacation within a vacation to us! Walking around the grounds, hearing the Hawaiian music with the torches lit, sipping a tropical drink - that's vacation. I'm not a fan of the theming of the GF...to me, it feels very dated and not in a good way, but plenty of people love it. We stayed in the BLT too, which felt like the most modern, updated resort, but it was also more generic, sterile hotel to me. Whatever floats your boat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: