Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #3676
Irishlisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Consort View Post
I've asked a few questions about stays in the main board but thought I'd also get the opinion of AKL people.

We had initially reserved two weeks at ALK for next year under the UK offer. We were thinking of staying somewhere closer as for two weeks, I thought the distance to the parks and resort restaurants from AKL would drive me nuts.

I've priced out a split stay but that works out more expensive for us under the UK offer.

Would the transport to and from parks and late dinners at night drive me nuts after two weeks?
I didn't think the buses were annoying, and the distance isn't as bad as it seems. We stayed at AKV last year for the first time and before we went I was a little nervous because I read comments about AK being "far away from everything". It really isn't. The only slightly long bus was to DTD.

DH, Me, DS(9), DD(7), DD(5), DD(5)

Old 08-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #3677
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Staying at Kidani Village in 1 month! Do the villas have either recliners or rocking chairs? I really could use one to put my daughter to sleep.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #3678
Sydney2977
Mouseketeer

For those that have stayed in a standard view room at AKL, what did you honestly think?

The reason I ask is because this is what I booked for our upcoming Nov. trip. We have stayed at four values, then Coronado Springs twice. I originally booked for a CSR room only back in Jan. and was waiting for a military discount to come out to apply, then add the dining plan. We will get our tickets from the base. I was not paying enough attention, and thought they wouldn't release till Aug., but turns out they released on a Mon. in July and I didn't find out till that Wed. So, by that time, they didn't have any standard rooms at CSR, only club ($300 more) left at CSR. Our other options were CRB (same price we originally budgeted, but no queen beds), a value ($300 less, smaller beds and room), and AKL (standard-$600 more, pool view $800 more, and savannah view $1200 more). DH and I talked and decided to go ahead with AKL standard. This is really a dream come true for me, since I love animals and the whole resort is just breathtaking! (we've eaten breakfast at Boma twice) Plus it's a surprise for the kids!!! I think they will be floored that we are staying here, no matter the view. AT 13 & 17, they understand money, and know it's a splurge for our family to stay here, even with a discount. Three years ago we surprised them with CSR and they love that place, and are really excited to go back. But everything I have read has people saying to upgrade to savannah view, and I think since we've already gone over budget, it's just not reasonable. I think we will still enjoy the resort without the view, but I want other opinions. Thanks in advance!

All-Star Music April 2002All-Star Movies September 2003Pop!Century February 2006All-Star Sports January 2007

Coronado Springs October 2010Coronado Springs November 2011Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2013
Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #3679
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2977 View Post
For those that have stayed in a standard view room at AKL, what did you honestly think?

The reason I ask is because this is what I booked for our upcoming Nov. trip. We have stayed at four values, then Coronado Springs twice. I originally booked for a CSR room only back in Jan. and was waiting for a military discount to come out to apply, then add the dining plan. We will get our tickets from the base. I was not paying enough attention, and thought they wouldn't release till Aug., but turns out they released on a Mon. in July and I didn't find out till that Wed. So, by that time, they didn't have any standard rooms at CSR, only club ($300 more) left at CSR. Our other options were CRB (same price we originally budgeted, but no queen beds), a value ($300 less, smaller beds and room), and AKL (standard-$600 more, pool view $800 more, and savannah view $1200 more). DH and I talked and decided to go ahead with AKL standard. This is really a dream come true for me, since I love animals and the whole resort is just breathtaking! (we've eaten breakfast at Boma twice) Plus it's a surprise for the kids!!! I think they will be floored that we are staying here, no matter the view. AT 13 & 17, they understand money, and know it's a splurge for our family to stay here, even with a discount. Three years ago we surprised them with CSR and they love that place, and are really excited to go back. But everything I have read has people saying to upgrade to savannah view, and I think since we've already gone over budget, it's just not reasonable. I think we will still enjoy the resort without the view, but I want other opinions. Thanks in advance!
You all will love it!!!
No need to upgrade. There are viewing balconies with big rocking chairs all over the place. Just hang out there when you want to animal watch.

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #3680
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Quote:

I was booked in a standard room and did a ton of research on your very question. What I found is that 99% said AKL standard is better than most preferred rooms at any moderate or value. The resort in itself is awesome.

I did upgrade to pool bunk beds because I wanted to be assured I'd have the bunk beds for my 10 and 8 year old. I didn't want to have to worry about an upgrade.

Now my worry is did I make the right decision upgrading from POP to AKL ($650 more over 4 nights) and I'm trying to make peace with it.

Also, I worry I'll be upgraded to a not so great savannah room and loose out on a great pool view. LOL

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #3681
maryandtyson
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We are going back to AKL pool view, bunk bed this year. Just cannot justify the cost of the Savannah view rooms, but we really liked the pool view. The entire resort is just beautiful! Tons of landscaping everywhere. I think you will LOVE it! There are a lot of places to view animals and enjoy the beauty of the resort. I don't think the view from your room is that big of a deal. With the ages of your children, you will probably spend most of your time out of your room anyway. Boma, as you have already learned, is just fantastic. Or girls love eating there! We also like The Mara- we think its one of the best counter service places at WDW. Take some time to talk to the CMs who are from Africa. It's a great cultural experience. I think you are making a great choice. Enjoy the resort and the splurge!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #3682
MtGreenwood
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoBeans View Post
The August discount was 5% for AKL CL. Not much, but something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
we arrived today - had a great check in experience! Adam checked us in, upgraded us to Savannah view, great room on 4th floor Sunset Savanna. Very pleased.

Took the bus to DtD for EoS, came right back as my younger son had hit his max - wanted bed. Stopped at Mara first for some zebra domes and bottled water. Now chilling in our room watching Disney Jr and snoozing off and on. Planning on Mara and swimming and marshmallow roasting later. I LOVE this place!
What type of room did you have reserved prior to being upgraded to a Savannah view room?
Old 08-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #3683
MtGreenwood
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up Refrigerators

FYI-We will be going to AKL a month from today. I just called AKL to find out if the refrigerators will all be replaced by then and I was told that as of today all of the AKL refrigerators have been replaced.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #3684
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MC View Post
Good afternoon all!

My DP and I enjoyed a fantastic weekend at AKL (CL) in August of 2010, and we'd like to repeat that in August of 2014. We are spending a week at BC with my sister and her DBF, but before that, we like some alone time, with no parks planned, and we really think AKL, especially CL is the place to do it.
My question is for those AKL August people. Disney usually releases a nice discount (25-35%) off deluxe hotels for the last few weeks of August, and this is when we're targeting. It's been a few years since we've watched AKL for any discounts. Can anyone tell me if AKL savannah rooms and/or CL rooms were included in the late-August discount for this year? Was it a full 25-35% off?

We'd love to do this, but would need a deep discount to be able to justify it.

By the way, we are also AP holders....any discounts there this August?

Thanks in advance!
I can't speak about August, but we had a 30/35% (don't remember which) discount for AKL club this past April. I don't remember if it was AP, Disney Visa, or public, since we have all three. I think we saved $1000 for a 7 night stay.
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
Old 08-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #3685
maryandtyson
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGreenwood View Post
FYI-We will be going to AKL a month from today. I just called AKL to find out if the refrigerators will all be replaced by then and I was told that as of today all of the AKL refrigerators have been replaced.
Yay! Thank you for sharing this. I tried to call last week and the CM I spoke with obviously had no idea what I was talking about. Have a great trip!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #3686
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

We had a standard room for our first stay at AKL last September. Our view was of the parking lot, but it blocked quite a bit by trees. No problem seeing animals in other places around the lodge. AKL is so beautiful we felt so lucky staying there the room view didn't matter much at all.

I received a pin back in February for 35% room discount which we used to book our Club Level room at AKL. So I would say they do have discounts on club level rooms.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #3687
Hulagirlie2003
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info
Old 08-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #3688
Hulagirlie2003
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryandtyson View Post
You will love AKL! Check page one of this thread for information on the in room amenities. The rooms are really pretty. My girls love the bedspreads! There are two sinks as well, which is really nice. There is also an open space below the sinks that we use for everyone's shoes. An organized room makes me happy. What can I say?

When you check in, you will receive a sheet with all of the activities for the week. There are cultural programs, storytelling by the fire put outside which is surprisingly not hot to sit around!, of course, then animals! There are lots of great viewing spots and usually a CM from Africa on hand to chat with and ask questions. The Lounge is a very nice spot to hang out for a bit before or after dinner at Boma or Jiko. Not sure if you are adults or kids are part of your party as well. But there are kids programs too. And, Zawadi (the gift shop) is a great place to shop! Really unique things there, as well as the usual Mickey kinds of items. After a long day of touring, the hot tubs are a wonderful way to relax too!!

Enjoy your stay!!

Thank you for the info!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #3689
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGreenwood View Post
Yay!!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #3690
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Stayed at AKL in June in a Standard View room for the first time. Made only one request "close to pool". Figured that would also put us close to the Mara so that was my ideal. Was all the way down Zebra trail in the back right corner where the two wings come together. Pretty sure it was "reclassified" savannah view. Had a view of the people pen and the fence where the zoo keepers emerge with the food. It was amazing. Got up in the morning to scores of animals waiting on the zoo keepers. An African Crane made her nest just below us. And the presence of possible food meant we even had bunnies, chipmunks and lots of other adorable wildlife in addition to the amazing giraffe and zebras, cattle, antelope, etc. it was the BEST standard room ever! Totally thrilled! Wishing you as much pixie dust!

Last edited by RapunzelsGoodMom; 08-12-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: