Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #2521
karmacats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLaRae View Post
Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that Boma and Jiko did tours of the restaurants at 4pm before opening for dinner. Am I hallucinating or do they do this?
Yes, they still do this (or did in April). It's at 4 pm, and I think every day. On the list of activities, it's called something like "culinary tour" - maybe "culinary adventure tour" or "culinary discovery" or something similar.

You check in at the Jiko podium (no need to sign up beforehand - just get to Jiko a little before 4). You tour Boma first, then Jiko, and get samples of food at each.

We tried to do it in April but obviously picked the wrong day, as Boma was closed for construction, and Jiko wasn't ready for us at 4 because the tour usually starts at Boma. So, all they did was grab a server to point out a couple of hidden mickeys in Jiko, and then let us try the Taste of Africa, which is a collection of breads and dips. It was delicious, though the whole experience only took about 15 minutes because of the shortened tour, so I was kind of annoyed I had skipped a different 4 pm tour (about the hotel architecture) just for some bread and dip.

We're going to try again in October to see if we get the full-on tour! I think it would have been a blast.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #2522
anjalee6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fd1972uk View Post
Hi,

Hoping someone can fill me in.

Staying here for a couple of nights, which should be great.

Was wondering if you can grab a drink (alcoholic and non-alc.) and go out and view the animals from one of the viewing areas? Or are you not allowed to take alcohol out to the viewing areas?

TIA

FD
Yes. You absolutely can. We often get drinks from Victoria Falls which is the lounge/bar at AkL and take our drinks outside, or to the lobby, or we walk back to our room.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #2523
fd1972uk
Mouseketeer

Superb, thanks for that.

FD
WDW Orlando: June 2013

Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #2524
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

....you can also purchase alcoholic [and non-alcoholic] drinks at the pool bar...
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #2525
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

We are doing 1 night offsite before we check in at AKV so we are ofiically in the single digits today. Single digit dance:
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #2526
whatsarahsaid
Mouseketeer

Hello everyone! Just hopping on board as another AKL lover! My husband and I only have 29 more days to go until our trip! Cannnot wait! This thread has been so much fun to read through and hear about everyones great experiences and photos! I'll be sure to do the same after our trip next month!

wdw - akl may 2006 // wdw - off site june 2007 //disneyland july 2012 // wdw - akl june 2013 // disneyland paris august 2013 // wdw - wilderness lodge september 2014

**OFFICIAL JUNE 2013 WDW MAGICBAND TESTER**
Old 05-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #2527
Reese D
Mouseketeer

We are just back from our first stay at AKL. I can't tell you enough how much we loved it. Our two most recent trips have been to the CR and WL, but we have also stayed at the Poly and GF (pre-kids ). AKL is now, by far, our favorite resort. It is absolutely beautiful. It is much more up to date than the CR. While the WL is nice, it can't compare to the AKL. The service was excellent (much better than what I remembered at WL) and every staff member went out of their way to make our visit special.

We ate at Boma and Sanaa (both great) as well as breakfasts and a few lunches at Mara. We were happy with all. The kids loved the pool both at Jambo and at Kidani.

I was worried about bus service, but it was never an issue. We never waited more than a few minutes for a bus both at the resort and at the parks. It is a longer ride to the MK, but we just left a few minutes earlier and it wasn't a problem.

I do like to try new resorts, but it will be hard to convince my husband or kids to stay anywhere else after this vist. I'm ready to plan our next trip to AKL already.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #2528
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese D View Post
We are just back from our first stay at AKL. I can't tell you enough how much we loved it. Our two most recent trips have been to the CR and WL, but we have also stayed at the Poly and GF (pre-kids ). AKL is now, by far, our favorite resort. It is absolutely beautiful. It is much more up to date than the CR. While the WL is nice, it can't compare to the AKL. The service was excellent (much better than what I remembered at WL) and every staff member went out of their way to make our visit special.

We ate at Boma and Sanaa (both great) as well as breakfasts and a few lunches at Mara. We were happy with all. The kids loved the pool both at Jambo and at Kidani.

I was worried about bus service, but it was never an issue. We never waited more than a few minutes for a bus both at the resort and at the parks. It is a longer ride to the MK, but we just left a few minutes earlier and it wasn't a problem.

I do like to try new resorts, but it will be hard to convince my husband or kids to stay anywhere else after this vist. I'm ready to plan our next trip to AKL already.
What type of room did you have? Can't wait for our stay!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #2529
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
....you can also purchase alcoholic [and non-alcoholic] drinks at the pool bar...
Old 05-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #2530
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:

I totally agree! We got back from our first stay last week. We were dazzled by the resort. The quality of the room! Omg it was amazing! The resort itself, CM's and animals! Like your good selves we never had an issue with bus waiting times at all. About the same as SSR. My heart now belongs to Kidani! Can't wait to go back! My only critique was having to check out lol..
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #2531
Reese D
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
What type of room did you have? Can't wait for our stay!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
We were in an Arusha Savanah view with 2 Queen beds.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #2532
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer25mom View Post
We are doing 1 night offsite before we check in at AKV so we are ofiically in the single digits today. Single digit dance:
Grats on hitting the single digits!! I can't wait until our trip is in the single digits. Heck, I'll be super excited when out countdown is in the double digits.

Quote:

Thanks for the review. Of the resorts we have stayed at so far (which have been the CBR, WL, and Pop Century), the WL has by far been my favorite. When I had to change resorts (since the BC GV rooms weren't on FD) I had a tough time picking between the AKL and WL. I have tried to convince the DH to stay at the AKL for years, but he has refused. This time, he told me to book the AKL. When I get tempted to change it to the WL, he tells me that if I do, he'll cancel the trip. He thinks if I stay there once I will get it out of my system and stop bugging him about it. The thing is, he doesn't look at pictures of the resort like I do. I think staying there will make me love it as much (or possibly more) than the WL. I just know, I can't wait to stay there and find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
My only critique was having to check out lol..
No matter what resort it is, that is always my biggest issue with it.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 05-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #2533
CupcakeKelly
This sleeve of Thin Mints IS my breakfast

Quote:
I am using this as my personal happy place as I research federal tax law today. I need to imagine that I'm there, with a nice drink in hand! Thank you!

2014 Reading Challenge - Goal: 25 books
Completed: 6 of 25 - #1 Uglies ~ #2 The Maze Runner ~ #3 The Scorch Trials ~ #4 Matched ~ #5 Crossed ~ #6 Reached

Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #2534
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
....figures...
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #2535
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Now THAT is instant relaxation

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: