Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Some Geneaology People are Just Nuts!

I do Geneaology and have for about 4 or 5 years. It's a lot of fun and it's a great hobby for someone who is an obsessive data miner like I am.

Someone who found a link about 10 years ago that I rediscovered about 3 years ago and was able to verify, but who has been out of the hobby for about 7 years e-mailed me the other day. We actually know each other and aren't that far apart on the trees, and we're some kind of double 3rd cousins.

So we've been chatting. Well she'd sent a query out to someone whose tree is private and who eagerly snatches up everything I post, but never allows any of her documents to leave her hands - this woman has been online about 8 years.

This woman ever so carefully omits the fact that I found the link we've all been searching for (that the 3rd cousin I've been corresponding with found about 10 years ago) and says there are some "crazy" stories out there. (I post my speculations and then either their proving or disproving as I gather evidence - I'm about 80% right in my guesses.) She implies she was the one who found the link, but doesn't come right out and say it.

I know it's got to be irritating when some young upstart comes along and finds a geneaological link that a lot of people have been searching for for years and years and then finds evidence of all sorts of interesting things for everyone's families, even those that are only in-laws, and posts and posts and posts new documents constantly (My sources are all online, occasionally for free - you just have to learn where to look).

But seriously?

I'm just a tiny bit miffed. This is not my first nutso geneaologist in the family either. There have been a LOT of very nice people, but a few who never share anything they find and are very cliquish- like that's going to advance our knowledge about the family. Of course, to paraphrase Groucho, I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me, and I believe knowledge -with some very specific limitations - should be free and available to anyone. Sooooo. . .

Okay, now I've ranted. I feel much better. Now I can go and laugh at this woman's insecurities and need to fluff herself up and say "yeah, it must be really irritating to put so many years into a hobby, and not get anywhere, only to have someone like me show up and find evidence and documents right and left." The sad thing is that I really, really wish another person with data mining in their background would come along and do this family and this community with me. It would be wonderful to have someone to ping ideas and documents with and see where we could go having two different perspectives.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Mayhaps if she didn't keep all her documents so hidden, she could get credit if she truly did find the link before anyone else. Her own fault!

My mom is big into it. The various families on her side of the family have groups on FB and they all share stories, photos, links to other families, etc. I'm not into it, but I like reading what they post. It seems silly to keep your family history so well-guarded, when it can be so interesting to others.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: