Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
fireman17
"The funny thing about firemen is, night and day there's always firemen".

Travel time to Universal Studios

As our kids get older it's time to make other plans for them other than WDW they enjoy WDW but are seeing Universal Studios too. So how far of a drive is it from WDW to Universal Studios?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
sympatico
DIS Veteran

Depending on where you're staying in WDW it could be as little as 15 - 20 min. or it could be up to 30 min. Of course it depends on if I-4 has no delays also.
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 5 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

WDW is huge so it also depends where you're coming from in Disney so 15-30 sounds right.If you don't want to take I-4 there are also several ground street options that are pretty quick as well and you don't have to deal with the I-4 traffic.One for example is if you're exiting Disney via Hotel Plaza blvd by Downtown Disney make a left turn at S Apopka Vineland rd and then a right at Palm Pkwy which will become Turkey Lake rd.This road parallels I-4 and goes straight to the Hollywood Way Universal entrance,there's very little traffic on this road and from DTD I would say no more than 20 minutes.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
WDW is huge so it also depends where you're coming from in Disney so 15-30 sounds right.If you don't want to take I-4 there are also several ground street options that are pretty quick as well and you don't have to deal with the I-4 traffic.One for example is if you're exiting Disney via Hotel Plaza blvd by Downtown Disney make a left turn at S Apopka Vineland rd and then a right at Palm Pkwy which will become Turkey Lake rd.This road parallels I-4 and goes straight to the Hollywood Way Universal entrance,there's very little traffic on this road and from DTD I would say no more than 20 minutes.
I JUST DID THIs. honestly thought they were closer. it was 20 min . minimum
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki02 View Post
I JUST DID THIs. honestly thought they were closer. it was 20 min . minimum
I second the Turkey Lake dr. Anytime we have had to go to that area this is how we go. Plus, why pass up on a chance to drive by Bay Hill Golf Course, or the tree that Tiger Woods hit befor his ex wife beat him with a golf club. lol

Another option is international drive.

I-4 is the closest, but with traffic could be the longest.

Funny, in over 20 years, we have never even entertained the thought of Universal. We used to do Seaworld every now and then, but that was only because the tickets were free for us (dad was an AB employee). Since the free tickets stopped, we no longer go there.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
Ametista
DIS Veteran

We were there a couple weeks ago and they were doing quite a bit of construction on I4 between Disney and Universal. It was annoying and I would split your stay if you can, spend some nights at/near Disney and then spend a few up by/at Universal. It took us about 15 minutes to get from the south Disney entrance to get to the I4 exit for Seaworld.
Ametista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Ametista
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
I second the Turkey Lake dr. Anytime we have had to go to that area this is how we go. Plus, why pass up on a chance to drive by Bay Hill Golf Course, or the tree that Tiger Woods hit befor his ex wife beat him with a golf club. lol

Another option is international drive.

I-4 is the closest, but with traffic could be the longest.

Funny, in over 20 years, we have never even entertained the thought of Universal. We used to do Seaworld every now and then, but that was only because the tickets were free for us (dad was an AB employee). Since the free tickets stopped, we no longer go there.
Well, Tiger deserved it.

Also, you should try Islands of Adventure. It rivals any Disney park.
Ametista is offline   Reply With Quote