Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
Disney-Kim

Always planning our next trip !!

I am curious where you got such great prices...we are paying almost $300 night for the BWI in April with the current deal

~ WDW Boardwalk Inn May 13 ~Disneyland GCH Sept 12 ~ Disneyland GCH Nov 2011 ~ CBR May 2010 ~Polynesian Sept 09 ~ POR May09 ~ VWL May08 ~ Polynesian May07 ~ BCV May06 ~ VWL May05 ~ VWL May04 ~ BWV May 03~ Yacht Club Concierge Sept 02 ~ Polynesian Concierge for our Honeymoon May 02 ~ Beach Club 09/01 ~ CSR, POR, POFQ, and CBR on our previous trips back to 1992~
Disney-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #17
Robbi
DIS Veteran

OP, save your GF trip for after the DVC construction is over. Believe me I know the pull of the GF. If you really want to do it up, stay club level in the main building- Royal Palm Club. Maybe stay at Bonnet Creek again and save your trip dollars to really splurge when you go to GF.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
gray52
Mouseketeer

BW fans here. Walk to two parks... Great food options. Great poolside bar. Night time entertainment. And early morning walks on the boardwalk are the best!
gray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #19
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney-Kim View Post
I am curious where you got such great prices...we are paying almost $300 night for the BWI in April with the current deal
I am a travel agent, so once a year we are offered 50% off (sometimes more) for up to a seven night stay. Availability for rooms set aside for this offer seems limited vs rooms available to the general public. We also get a free 1 day park hopper with water parks and more or about $180 for a six day park hopper with water parks and more.

Helps booking vacations when I can share with clients first hand experience- still $300+ per night is very very expensive for us and we are tempted to stay at the Waldorf Astoria for around $230 a night instead, I hear it is fabulous!
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #20
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Boardwalk is kicking the living crap out of the Grand Floridian in this thread!
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #21
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

My sister and I stayed at the GF for her birthday in July a few years ago. I *loved* it!

We were on the ground floor over looking the lagoon and it was just beautiful. They took great care of us. The concierge was top notch. The monorail was a blessing. The pool is enormous and well maintained and the hot tub was so big it was never crowded.

The restaurants were fantastic and I am one of the fussiest eaters ever. The breakfast character buffet was cool because it's the English Disney characters: Winnie the Pooh and Mary Poppins.

The hotel is pure elegance. We also booked the Fireworks Cruise that leaves from the Grand Floridian and that was so much fun.

I would stay there again if it wasn't so expensive!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #22
Merandab4
DIS Veteran

I will go against the majority and choose the GF and here`s why: I have stayed at both (at gf several times, at BW only once) and there is just something magical about the gf. I like being able to hear the boats go to the MK in the morning and hearing the opening music from the MK as well and seeing the castle from your resort. Of course this may only happen when you have a water view. Also, where to eat is always a big part of our decision on where to stay. I feel that the gf has more options. The BW has no restaurant or quick service associated with it, at least it didnt last time I was there. Someone correct me if i am wrong. You have to depend on all the restaurants on the boardwalk instead which is not a bad thing, but we do like the options of some quicker meals. I was just at wdw this past week fot the disney marathon and one of the evenings we left the MK before closing and took the boat back to gf, got some dinner at the quick service place and sat at the tables at the marina and ate while watching the fireworks. That was one of the most relaxing times that day. There r not too many resorts you can watch the fireworks right at the resort. The electric water parade also goes right by the resort. Also its nice to have the option of using the monorail. But the BW has great qualities too as others have mentioned. I would always choose the GF but of course i am biased as I got married at the wedding pavilion and had my reception at gf. You have 2 great options. You definitely wont be disappointed, although you may get spoiled for your first time on disney property and it will be hard for you to want to stay anywhere else!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
herb102211
DIS Veteran

We love the BWI. It is a great location and you can walk to Hollywood Studios and Epcot or take the boat. We love being able to walk over to world showcase and be there in under 10 minutes! It is especially great if you have a lot of dining reservations in WS. You don't have to worry about leaving your hotel an hour or so beforehand. If you have park hoppers you can go through Epcot and take the monorail over to MK. We really enjoy the atmosphere that the Epcot resorts have too.

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL
Me (28) DH (28)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #24
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

I'd go with BWI over GF for your situation. Here's why:

1) BWI costs less.
2) The construction at GF would take away some of the magic there until it's finished.
3) Not having kids with you, I think you'd probably appreciate being able to walk or boat into EPCOT and DHS. EPCOT and the surrounding resorts offer more adult-oriented dining options than the MK area, and DHS isn't bad for adults either. I view MK as more of a child-centered park than the other 3 parks, though I still love it as an adult. But you can still take the bus to there or AK.

GF could wait until the construction is finished.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
a742246
older than dirt

I too would pick BWI for this trip. Save GF for next time!

As others have said construction. By next year this will be completed.

Nothing like walking around the lake by BWI first thing in the morning.
Jellrolls at night will be a blast for you.
Walking to 2 parks is a plus.

Plus you are saving 80.00 dollars a night.

If not for the construction I would choose GF. But patience will reward you.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #26
marmar
Mouseketeer

Another BWI fan here. We got an awesome deal once and stayed at the GF. I hated the transportation available at the GF. The monorail to the MK was OK, but the bus service to the other parks was awful. We were always the stop after the Poly and the buses were packed. We always had to stand.

As empty nesters we like that the BWI does not have as many children (untrue with the BC & YC). I have never used the Clown pool. The quiet pool is nice though. And the convenience to Epcot & DHS is awesome. You also have all the restaurants at Epcot, Boardwalk and the other 4 resorts easily accessable.

We've stayed at the BWI 5 times (CL twice) and all rooms have had good views. The only problem we had was one room was a long long way from the lobby via hallways. We could cut thru the courtyard though cutting the walk in half.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: