Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
We've had an extremely rude CM give us our GAC even though we were really friendly & polite to her even while she was being such a snot. We got the card with the appropriate stamp for our son's disability (though she refused to give us one for our younger son even though he is also disbaled...something we've learned was incorrect and we will be insisting on a card for each so that we can split up if we need to.) We've never had a problem actually using the GAC at all. We came across a rude CM at TSM (the only rude CM at any of the attractions we've ever experienced) but his rolling his eyes at our GAC didn't do anything but make himself look like an idiot. We still were able to use the card as it was intended.

We have only had a few issues, and it was a few years ago. One was weird, at Rock n Roller, we approached and asked where to go with the GAC. At one time, it was to enter thru the exit, and more recently had been to use the FP lane. Even if we think we know where to go, we always show the pass and ask. The CM insisted we get a FP. We said no thanks, we wanted to wait and ride. She kept insisting, get a FP. (it was our last day, the FP return time was too late for us). I was getting angry, because I did not feel it was fair to MAKE us get a FP, if we were willing to wait. Why should we not have that choice, if others have a choice? We finally just GOT ON the regular line, when she was not looking. (NOT the FP line) with his large Convaid, it did fit, and rode the ride. I am sure this story sounds impossible and bizarre, but it's true. (we would have just gone on that line to begin with, but on other occasions were were directed elsewhere to enter, and they say with the GAC to ask the CM)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
Beccabunny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Not an accusation at all - just a question. Do you have some information that is not on this thread that would show things to be any different?
To even ask such a question of the OP, without any evidence, is just plain rude and argumentative. Others have asked the OP for clarification. That is different from asking if the OP is stirring the pot.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #18
Disfanx4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david

right now they will still issue the key to the world card you don't need to do the magic band if you dont want to. you could also clip it on your bag or other things it dose not need to be worn they just advertise it that way. you can also decide what info you want on the band. they are also coming out with one you can buy like pirate theme and i am sure their be princess ones. i am also sure in the future they make lanyards or key chains.
Thanks for the info
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #19
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfanx4

Thanks for the info
Your welcome

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #20
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccabunny View Post
To even ask such a question of the OP, without any evidence, is just plain rude and argumentative. Others have asked the OP for clarification. That is different from asking if the OP is stirring the pot.
Thanks for being such a good monitor!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #21
harryscheeler
Earning My Ears

The issue is one of our kids will hit themselves in the head when they are in crowds of people. The card they gave us allowed us to go in Fast Pass lanes which bottlenecked just like the regular line. The CM willing to accommodate us would bring us to a handicap waiting area to enter the ride. This happened few and far between. Most of the rides I left with my child screaming and hitting themselves as other guests were hit while we tried to exit the ride. This was the case in our last three trips. I'm not willing to go anymore. I'm not a lawyer but I'm sure the Americans With Disabilities Act covers us to some extent. Disney will not even respond to emails or phone calls. It's like they could care less.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #22
tikistitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryscheeler View Post
The issue is one of our kids will hit themselves in the head when they are in crowds of people. The card they gave us allowed us to go in Fast Pass lanes which bottlenecked just like the regular line. The CM willing to accommodate us would bring us to a handicap waiting area to enter the ride. This happened few and far between. Most of the rides I left with my child screaming and hitting themselves as other guests were hit while we tried to exit the ride. This was the case in our last three trips. I'm not willing to go anymore. I'm not a lawyer but I'm sure the Americans With Disabilities Act covers us to some extent. Disney will not even respond to emails or phone calls. It's like they could care less.
Most every WDW line is mainstreamed now, I believe. I know there's several attractions where it isn't, but most are. When my family goes to WDW, we get a GAC because we have 4 members of the family on the spectrum. With my nephew, we're unable to wait even in the FP line because he has similar issues of harming himself when he's in crowds of people and feels trapped in. So we always make sure that the CM we show the GAC to knows that we need to wait somewhere outside the exit for as long as the standby line is, and then we are brought in to ride. We offer to have family members who are fine in line go through the mainstream line and then give the CM at the loading area the instruction to get the other boarders from the exit. This often works out for us. However, this method doesn't work on every attraction. Not because CMs aren't willing (although some just aren't, I agree), but because there is no separate area nearby to wait outside of line and then come back into. The logistics just wouldn't work.

Any time we've had a CM that wouldn't listen to our needs after we showed them our GAC, we insisted that they take two seconds and please listen to us and our needs to insure the safety of our family, the cast members, and the guests around us. And that always gets a CM to stop and listen and attempt to make proper arrangements for us. And when we come across a ride where arrangements can't be made, the family members that want to ride go into the mainstreamed line and wait while the others that can not go back and find an attraction that works better for us. Other options have always been to use rider swap, which can be a drag when we went just with my immediate family and one of us has to stay behind with the people who can't ride while the others go ride and then we swap out with the pass.

In so many cases, CMs that appeared frazzled or just frustrated with our GAC always had a total attitude change when we calmly explain our needs and our suggestion for accommodation. They're used to just having these cards shoved at them with people not communicating specifics. I find that just being calm and explaining my direct needs without giving any specifics as to why except "if we wait in this line with so many people, there could potentially be physical harm given to X, or to other guests, or to one of you. We need to prevent that by doing X, Y, or Z."

As far as the disability act, I personally believe Disney does goes above and beyond in providing equal accommodations for those with disabilities. Do I think the parks are perfect? No, they aren't for anyone, they have a lot of improving to do for all of their guests. But they've made huge efforts to mainstream lines and they make big efforts to ensure that rides are accessible to all guests by transfer or having wheelchair accessible cars/trams/etc. I think the law requires equal accessibility, not above and beyond what everyone else is getting. I often have to remind my mother when she gets frustrated on our trips that a GAC isn't the end all, be all for a key to zooming through lines stress free. We also have to understand once equal accommodation attempts have been reached, if members of our family pose a threat to themselves or the cast members or others in line, it is our responsibility to not go into a line or situation knowing what the reaction and end result will be.

I think it's perfectly possible for your family to have a great WDW vacation, but I think more realistic expectations of a GAC are needed. I know there are several links to information in posts up at the top of the board. Perhaps try reading through some of those and see if they can help plan for future trips? There's a lot of older members on these boards who have a ton of wisdom to share about really great touring plans with people of all exceptionalities. Best of luck to you and your family on your next WDW vacation, if you guys choose to go back!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 AM   #23
mrsmarilyn
Mouse Junkie

Quote:
We have taken our children, both on the spectrum, several times, and always been treated will.. as losing as there is an alternate wait area we are fine. We avoid the rides that do not provide one. Some lines and crowds are unavoidable. Disney outs one of the best at accommodating disabilities.
1/17-1/24 2009 SSR
3/21-3/27 2010 OKW--My 10th Trip!

July 20-28th, 2012, our first DCL cruise on the Magic
April 10-18th, 2013, AKL Kidani
Nov 9-16, 2014, AKL Kidani MVMCP

Last edited by SueM in MN; 01-18-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #24
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The issue is your expectations. A GAC is not a magic card that takes care of 100% of your problems. It is intended to make things equal. Many attractions simply do not have an alternate place to quietly wait and then join your party. This is why so many on this board STRONGLY urge people to use touring plan services. Using a good touring plan COUPLED with a GAC you wouldn't have this kind of problem.

Like your child, my DD15 can not handle the FP queues if they're not moving or they're crowded in. She definitely can't handle the mob waiting areas. We can only go to attractions at times where the alternate waiting areas will be quick or if the attraction is one of the ones that has a quiet area where we can wait. I could never do this without good touring plans. The onus is on ME to do my homework and make sure that my DD's needs are met. Walking up to TSM with a GAC at 2 in the afternoon for instance (just an example) is simply something that those who have kids with issues like ours should simply never attempt to do. No GAC will make that possible. Again, some research into touring plans would make your experiences be like the difference between night and day.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #25
Cassandy
Earning My Ears

I totally agree with clanmcculooch here; the GAC is meant to try to level the playing field as much as possible, but nothing in the world can give you that "normal" experience, because our lives are not "normal".

If CMs were letting you use the FP line, and sending you to an alternative waiting area when appropriate, that is far, far more than ADA requires.

Disney goes above and beyond the ADA by offering special areas, special queues, special passes that let us do things other people can't, just to make it easier. The legal ADA requirements are significantly less than that (mostly making sure you can physically get into the park, and bring in your own assistive devices, like dogs or canes). Disney can't be responsible for allowing every one to be able to ride every thing - look at Mission Space: Orange. Half the "healthy" people I know can't even ride that!

What more do you expect Disney to do to make your vacations better? What more do you expect the CMs to do? What are your expectations of Disney World to accommodate you, and are they even possible? Disney can't get rid of crowds, or reduce lines, or give you front-of-the-line access every time you need it. What is your expectation?

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I'm sorrier still that you're giving up and thinking of lawyering up, because I think that's truly missing the point.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Each time we go to WDW we bring documentation regarding out autistic children and their disabilities. We are given Gust with disability cards which are rarely honored without a argument. Anyone else have the same problem. I complain to Disney all the time and each time we return nothing has changed.

I have an autistic niece. We have been 2 times both times we have not any problems with the cast members. the problem has been with other guests. We bring a note and try not to take advantage of the pass when not needed. But people still give looks and make rude comments.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #27
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccabunny View Post
Oh come one! Just because this is the disabilities part of the board there is no need for us to have to be pc. Heck, I'm one of those that really highly values no pc because we are talking here, but then again I am one of those that believes being pc only harms.

There are simply so many things in the OP that also made my alarms go off. Such things that do make me seriously wonder what is going on here and yes stirring the pot was a valid serious option in those. I'm one of those that will simply ask flat out instead of be pc or insinuate. Only openly asking gives someone an open chance to deal with what will be playing on many peoples minds and if indeed the case; put it to rest.

Some has been added on since, but other things still leave me with questions. And as such, I will simply ask. For instance;

in the op "which are rarely honored". Does sure leave one like me with quite a few questions. It paints -combined with the later posting on this topic- a picture of someone who has no clue of how far few and in between alternate waiting areas actually ARE. If that picture is correct; did one ever go back to guest services and ask what CAN and CAN'T be done at certain rides, including being told that options can chance depending on multiple details?

If not going back, why not? Apparently there has been complaining, but it still has me questioning if there ever was any communication about the fact that this option very rarely IS an option. Whether it being Disney communicating it or Harry (or family) taking their own responsibility and ask about it?

If so communicated what does one expect to be done? WDW is in the business of magic, but I can see the problem with "magically" creating alternate waiting areas for each and every ride, show, M&G etc.

Where do subsequent disappointments come from when having communicated this subject before and having the knowledge that this option simply is not there?

The second post has added info. Yet it still leaves me wondering why Harry is posting this?

And more in general? Yeah, there are still things mentioned that leave me keeping options open that apparently we are not allowed to mention if it were up to some on this board. Things that do not add up, never mind how well or poorly informed Harry was or is. It could be that he is communicating things on here very poorly. As such it's an option I leave open. Just like I leave all options open where it triggers me.
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

Beyond greatfull for so many WDW trips, dear friendship and even a dlrp wish trip in october 2014 to close the Disney chapter. Lifes come and go, memories last for ever.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry but I just feel that Disney bends over backwards for my autistic kids and I am very thankful that they do. I know dozens of parents that feel exactly as I do which is why we all keep going back year after year.

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
Emteach
DIS Veteran

We attended Disney in August with my brother who is not autistic but has some similar struggles (crowds, loud noises, being confined, snesory) and we let Guest Services know and they were more than accomodating. We recieved the GAC and were able to use at most rides with only 1 or 2 CMs questioning. Maybe it is just a lack of consistency but we didnt have any issues, more with our local amusement park.

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #30
Beccabunny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofieslonglostsis View Post
Oh come one! Just because this is the disabilities part of the board there is no need for us to have to be pc. Heck, I'm one of those that really highly values no pc because we are talking here, but then again I am one of those that believes being pc only harms.
Yes, the internet is rife with rude and obnoxious posts under the guise of "not being PC." Over the years I've heard from a lot of other posters who find it very difficult to ask for any information on these boards because of the nasty responses they get. The OP made a statement that didn't give enough information. Others politely asked for clarification. OP provided that. Discussion followed. Can easily be done without being rude.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: