Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
seasidespences
Mouseketeer

No Sugar Added Desserts

I see on the menus that some TS places have at least one dessert that falls into the no sugar added/sugar free category but there are a few where I don't see that option.
Does anyone know whether or not they will come up with a no sugar added option for someone in your party that is a diabetic, or is that person just out of luck??
In particular, I am wondering about 'Ohana and Chefs de France as well as some of the buffet meals like Cape May and Boma.
Also, if anyone knows what the "usual" no sugar added option might be (if there is one) I'd love to know. Thanks in advance!
seasidespences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidespences View Post
I see on the menus that some TS places have at least one dessert that falls into the no sugar added/sugar free category but there are a few where I don't see that option.
Does anyone know whether or not they will come up with a no sugar added option for someone in your party that is a diabetic, or is that person just out of luck??
In particular, I am wondering about 'Ohana and Chefs de France as well as some of the buffet meals like Cape May and Boma.
Also, if anyone knows what the "usual" no sugar added option might be (if there is one) I'd love to know. Thanks in advance!
Are you diabetic or is it someone else in your party?

As a diabetic myself, I find it is usually much easier--and I'm much happier--if I share a regular dessert with someone (or eat half and take the rest back to the room) rather than taking the "sugar-free" option. Sugar-free doesn't mean carb free, and it's the total carbs that affect blood sugar. Sugar-free items are often actually higher in carbs than foods made with sugar because they stuff them with all kinds of junk to make them taste halfway decent. And usually they DON'T taste halfway decent even then.

That said, if the diabetic in your party insists on sugar-free, the "standard" is often a sugar-free brownie. And I did enjoy the sugar-free mango gelato at Cosmic Ray's.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidespences View Post
If there is nothing specified on the menu, the typical "no sugar added" dessert will be fruit. Yeah, it's no-sugar-added but not exactly sugar-free. As you said, some of the TS restaurants do have items noted as either sugar-free or no-sugar-added; not as much as CS. But then again we don't do a lot of desserts at our meals, saving those carbs for a special treat during the day instead.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
seasidespences
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevieveRaqs

Are you diabetic or is it someone else in your party?

As a diabetic myself, I find it is usually much easier--and I'm much happier--if I share a regular dessert with someone (or eat half and take the rest back to the room) rather than taking the "sugar-free" option. Sugar-free doesn't mean carb free, and it's the total carbs that affect blood sugar. Sugar-free items are often actually higher in carbs than foods made with sugar because they stuff them with all kinds of junk to make them taste halfway decent. And usually they DON'T taste halfway decent even then.

That said, if the diabetic in your party insists on sugar-free, the "standard" is often a sugar-free brownie. And I did enjoy the sugar-free mango gelato at Cosmic Ray's.
It's someone else in my party...I'm sure that at times they will choose to have one of the regular desserts and just eat a portion of the serving. It I just wanted to see what their options might be...
I had a feeling that the no sugar added options might not be quite as pleasing to the palate but it's always nice to know what to expect...thanks for your response!!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

The no sugar added or sugar free desserts are often made with sugar alcohols. They are the same thing that makes Ex-lax work so beware. I am especially sensitive to the to the point I must avoid them. I would rather have a small piece of fruit or a portion of a regular dessert. Can't have the mango sorbet either due to a LTA to mango.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
seasidespences
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands
The no sugar added or sugar free desserts are often made with sugar alcohols. They are the same thing that makes Ex-lax work so beware. I am especially sensitive to the to the point I must avoid them. I would rather have a small piece of fruit or a portion of a regular dessert. Can't have the mango sorbet either due to a LTA to mango.
Yes...sometimes they can be worse than the regular desserts...either way, it's nice to know what this person's options are.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

Oh, I forgot about this one. BOG does have a no-sugar-added lemon-raspberry cream puff now. I tried it, and it was pretty yummy! Added bonus: BOG provides full nutritional information. The no-sugar cream puff is 19g of carbs. Not too bad. But the other, regular cream puffs also have similar carb counts.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

I agree with Talking Hands - approach the sugar free desserts with caution! The carb count is typically about the same as a regular dessert. And the sugar alcohols can be awful on the digestive system! The resulting diarhea can really mess up your blood sugar control, not to mention your vacation! Your friend might want to try that type of dessert at home before travelling just to see if it will be tolerated.

I either eat a regular dessert and don't finish it or I share with my daughter and/or husband.
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
seasidespences
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsMom
I agree with Talking Hands - approach the sugar free desserts with caution! The carb count is typically about the same as a regular dessert. And the sugar alcohols can be awful on the digestive system! The resulting diarhea can really mess up your blood sugar control, not to mention your vacation! Your friend might want to try that type of dessert at home before travelling just to see if it will be tolerated.

I either eat a regular dessert and don't finish it or I share with my daughter and/or husband.
I thank everyone for the warnings but he's been a diabetic for over 15 years so he's pretty familiar w/ the effects of the sugar alcohols and seems to tolerate them fairly well in modest proportions.
My suspicion is that sometimes he'll go for the no sugar added option and sometimes a smaller portion of a regular dessert all depending on what's spikes his interest on the menu.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
MrsTink04
DIS Veteran

Is he Type 1 or Type 2? If Type 1 and going to be covered with insulin it's probably better to go with a regular dessert since sugar-free typically has more carbohydrates or is hard on the stomach. Plus, with all that walking he might need a few extra carbs anyway - Type 1 or Type 2.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=GenevieveRaqs;47219005]Oh, I forgot about this one. BOG does have a no-sugar-added lemon-raspberry cream puff now. I tried it, and it was pretty yummy! Added bonus: BOG provides full nutritional information. The no-sugar cream puff is 19g of carbs. Not too bad. But the other, regular cream puffs also have similar carb counts.[/QUOTE

I too would really appreciate a carbohydrate count from restaurants, even though it is not an exact science. The nutrition labels legally required for supermarket foods are pretty accurate, but the carbohydrate count in a slice of bread can differ depending even upon what time of year the wheat was harvested. I am a Type-1 diabetic who learned this from her endocrinologist.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: