Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
scroot
Mouseketeer

Aulani in wheelchair

DW and I are celebrating our 20th and thinking Aulani. Anyone been in a power chair. We know the room layout and aren't concerned about it but are wondering about access to the rest of the resort and Hawaii acess in general (Pearl Harbor et al) any info would be helpful at this point. Thanks.
scroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Ottawacruiser
Mouseketeer

Hi:

My wife (who is in a wheelchair) and I were at Aulani this past November and there are a few things to be aware of, but none of them were major for us. YMMV!

We were in an accessible room, which did make a difference for us. The bed in a standard room are very high off the ground (there is space underneath to place a suitcase) and my wife had difficulty getting up onto it. (We were originally placed in a non-accessible room but asked to be moved).

There also seem to be very few automatic doors at the resort. The majority of them are manual for some reason.

You will have to learn your way around the Waikolohe Valley - you can get to everything but you'll have to learn the way for the wheelchair to get where you want to go and avoid stairs. Also, in the valley there is a water wheelchair you can use to get into the pool or lazy river if you require that - see the cast members where they hand out the towels if you want this.

At the beach there is a sand wheelchair (big wide tires) you can borrow at the beach equipment rentals (free) which we used to get my wife down to the water.

Check on emergency procedures when you check in so you know what will happen if the fire alarm goes off.

As far as Pearl Harbor, we went there and it was no problem. The place is completely accessible, including the tender barge that takes you out to and back from the memorial.

We had a wonderful time there. We had a car and did explore other parts of Oahu!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Regards,
...Mike

Ottawacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: