Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Eeyore11081
Mouseketeer

Just Got Back Home...Some Random Points

Just back from a trip that concluded yesterday. A few random observations to share. Will put together a full trip report in the coming days.

-Single rider line for RSR is like cheating. Waited less than fifteen minutes both times while the normal line was over an hour. Second time we actually ended up in the same car.

-Not sure I totally "get" the Luigi ride, but Mater's was much better than expected.

-Many people don't realize the whipped cream goes great with Mickey Waffles...just need to know where to find it...

-It seemed like every major ride broke at some point yesterday...

-Peter Pan is a great ride but way too short

-The new Ghirardelli place is amazing

-Ironically, we had our best view ever for World of Color, and this is the first time we haven't done either the meal deal or a fastpass. Obviously, its been around long enough for most to have seen it by now, but we walked up shortly after the show started and were first row on the bridge with a nearly unobstructed view but for one pole. Still, its the best experience we've had with the show by far.

-I think we got very lucky with the crowds thanks to the cold weather. Nearly full plate of entertainment (Fireworks, parades) and we actually spent yesterday afternoon trying to figure out what attractions we wanted to repeat.

-You really start to feel like a DLR veteran when you recognize cast members from prior years

-I really love going this time of year...Everyone from cast members to resort guests are so chill (no pun intended) compared to peak seasons.

DLR: 2004, 2005, 2006 (Anabella), 2007, 2008, 2009 (PPH), 2010 (DLH), 2011 (PPH), 2012 (PPH), 2013 (Anabella)
Eeyore11081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore11081 View Post
Just back from a trip that concluded yesterday. A few random observations to share. Will put together a full trip report in the coming days.

-Single rider line for RSR is like cheating. Waited less than fifteen minutes both times while the normal line was over an hour. Second time we actually ended up in the same car.

-Not sure I totally "get" the Luigi ride, but Mater's was much better than expected.

-Many people don't realize the whipped cream goes great with Mickey Waffles...just need to know where to find it...

-It seemed like every major ride broke at some point yesterday...

-Peter Pan is a great ride but way too short

-The new Ghirardelli place is amazing

-Ironically, we had our best view ever for World of Color, and this is the first time we haven't done either the meal deal or a fastpass. Obviously, its been around long enough for most to have seen it by now, but we walked up shortly after the show started and were first row on the bridge with a nearly unobstructed view but for one pole. Still, its the best experience we've had with the show by far.

-I think we got very lucky with the crowds thanks to the cold weather. Nearly full plate of entertainment (Fireworks, parades) and we actually spent yesterday afternoon trying to figure out what attractions we wanted to repeat.

-You really start to feel like a DLR veteran when you recognize cast members from prior years

-I really love going this time of year...Everyone from cast members to resort guests are so chill (no pun intended) compared to peak seasons.
Thanks for the tips, glad you had a wonderful time.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
SGDisneyFam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I always recognize the "more experienced" CM at the GCH entrance into DCA. He is always friendly no matter the time of day or crowd levels.

SGDisneyFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
FourM's
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGDisneyFam View Post
I always recognize the "more experienced" CM at the GCH entrance into DCA. He is always friendly no matter the time of day or crowd levels.
We have always noticed him too. I believe his CM nametag says he is from Brooklyn. His accent would give it away if his nametag didnt He chatted my husband up about how it broke his heart when the Dodgers left Brooklyn. Too cute! I always enjoying seeing him there when we visit.

DVC-RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
FourM's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

Sooooo....where can I find the whipped cream for the waffles?

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Eeyore11081
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
Sooooo....where can I find the whipped cream for the waffles?

Surf's Up breakfast tucked behind the yogurt and berries. Need to be careful though, as if you are careless you could end up with a heap of sour cream, which is also nearby. I'm sure Goofy's has whipped cream too, but I've never had breakfast there.

A true professional doesn't waste time with the butter packets near the pancake/waffle station.

DLR: 2004, 2005, 2006 (Anabella), 2007, 2008, 2009 (PPH), 2010 (DLH), 2011 (PPH), 2012 (PPH), 2013 (Anabella)
Eeyore11081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
jenpace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGDisneyFam View Post
His name is Chappy, we love seeing him and have a few photos of him with our family from different trips
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
disneyobsessed808
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You really start to feel like a DLR veteran when you recognize cast members from prior years
I usually am able to recognize some of the CMs at the front gate of Disneyland and some of the survey cast members.

I also have gone to Napa Rose quite a few times, and some of the wait staff and chefs recognize me.

Tokyo Disney Resort May 2009, Nov 2012 Check out my Nov 2012 Tokyo Trip Report
Disneyland Resort May 2000 (Disneyland Hotel), Jan 2001, Mar 2004, Oct 2005, Nov 2006, Annual Passholder since 2007
Walt Disney World 1987 (I was 2) Mar 1997, Jul 2002 (All Star Movies), May 2007 (Pop Century)
disneyobsessed808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
SGDisneyFam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpace View Post
His name is Chappy, we love seeing him and have a few photos of him with our family from different trips
That's him

SGDisneyFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
coaches24
DIS Veteran

DW and I completely agree about Ghiradelli. Has to get ice cream there twice when we went because the first time just wasn't enough (I was full mind you but the first time made the craving even more severe so I had to go back the next day). Thats our go to dessert from now on when we get to the parks. DW goes for the giant cookies. We hit the one in San Francisco whenever we are there for the cookies as well.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

Totally agree with the single rider line on RSR. The ride was broken down when we hit Disneyland around noon last Wednesday. We did a few other things and returned later. The stand by line was 90 minutes. We went on RSR three times, back to back, in 15 minutes. 15 minutes total. I guess no one understands the line. The same thing also works well on Soaring.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
sgrap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVALASKA View Post
Totally agree with the single rider line on RSR. The ride was broken down when we hit Disneyland around noon last Wednesday. We did a few other things and returned later. The stand by line was 90 minutes. We went on RSR three times, back to back, in 15 minutes. 15 minutes total. I guess no one understands the line. The same thing also works well on Soaring.
We have kids 11 and 10, and let me say outright that I am very overprotective. I can't go on most rides due to back problems. Would it be safe for my DH to go in the single rider line with them with me waiting at the end? Not sure I'd really do that, and I'm sure they will ride together first. But wondering how that might work. I haven't been to Carsland yet, so I have no idea of the set up. Is there a minimum age for single rider lines? I would never think of doing it on a ride like Screamin' or Indiana Jones. Is RSR mostly in the open instead of being enclosed? Just curious . . .
sgrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrap View Post
We have kids 11 and 10, and let me say outright that I am very overprotective. I can't go on most rides due to back problems. Would it be safe for my DH to go in the single rider line with them with me waiting at the end? Not sure I'd really do that, and I'm sure they will ride together first. But wondering how that might work. I haven't been to Carsland yet, so I have no idea of the set up. Is there a minimum age for single rider lines? I would never think of doing it on a ride like Screamin' or Indiana Jones. Is RSR mostly in the open instead of being enclosed? Just curious . . .
I don't know about RSR (haven't seen it yet) but I would think Screamin' would be the least stressful to do that with. You can see them practically the whole time.

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip)) Quick one-day DL only trip with my 9 month-old and friends - 9/11/14!!
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
sgrap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina View Post
I don't know about RSR (haven't seen it yet) but I would think Screamin' would be the least stressful to do that with. You can see them practically the whole time.
Yes, but the minor detail of them going a million miles an hour and upside down!
sgrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrap
Is there a minimum age for single rider lines?
The minimum age to go in/on any attraction alone at DLR is 7. And then, of course, one must meet the height restriction on attractions that have one.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: