Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you call or text to say thank you for a Bday card?
yes 7 24.14%
no 16 55.17%
other 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
tink20
DIS Veteran

Birthday cards

If you (or your child) receive a birthday card from someone in the mail, do you (or have your child) call (or text) to tell them "thank you"?
tink20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
wendypooh
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Cajun Tinkerbell Princess
Tag Toggler
Loves kissing Tag Fairy butt ;)

I have always thanked anyone for anything given me or my children. Why would this be different. YES, if someone takes the time and makes the effort, a Thank You is in order!!
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

If it was just a card, no I don't send thank you or call. If there was cash or gift card, yes a thank you is in order
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
riley2008
DIS Veteran

Just a card from someone who may or may not know they received it - call or text. (If a card from Grandma or Godparent they see regularly, but who think it's nice for gets to receive mail - maybe not a call, but mention the next time they are seen.)

Card with a gift (cash, check, giftcard, etc) - send a thank you note.

First trip to WDW - August '08 ASM family suite
Wilderness Lodge July '09
(wondering when we'll get to go again!)
DCL, Magic from Galveston 9/2012
riley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

I don't think that a Birthday Card requires a thank you phone call.

On the other hand, when one of us gets a birthday card (or a Christmas card) from a certain relative of ours, we are guaranteed to get a call from her saying "did you get your card in the mail yesterday?" If we don't call or email to say thank you. Of course this is the same relative who calls me to tell me she emailed me a photo...
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #6
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
If it was just a card, no I don't send thank you or call. If there was cash or gift card, yes a thank you is in order
This unless its someone they see regularly

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Same.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Only if there was money or a check in it.

I have never had anyone I sent a birthday card to call me to thank me- that is just odd. I think I would stop sending them out if every person called after I sent them one LOL- I don't enjoy talking on the phone that much to want to get a few dozen extra phone calls a year!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
keri125
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler
I don't think that a Birthday Card requires a thank you phone call.

On the other hand, when one of us gets a birthday card (or a Christmas card) from a certain relative of ours, we are guaranteed to get a call from her saying "did you get your card in the mail yesterday?" If we don't call or email to say thank you. Of course this is the same relative who calls me to tell me she emailed me a photo...
Too funny! My ex-mother-in-law is like this. I don't mind... my ex-husband recently passed away and I don't think she's convinced that I'm not going to keep her grandson from her. (I would NEVER do that. She is a wonderful grandmother to my son - my issues were with my ex, not with her.). I think it's her way of reassuring herself and that's fine! But your last line did make me laugh!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Plain card..no.
Card with gift...yes.

And I'm getting a kick out of the people who have someone in their lives who does the "did you get my card?" call 10 minutes after they actually send the card. My crazy SisIL is like this. Needs to have that adulation.

Of course, this is the same SisIL who doesn't think it's necessary to call and thank anyone for what they send to her or her family. "It's a gift....if you're expecting a thank you then it's no longer a gift, it's an obligation". She doesn't like it when I use her own words on her though...apparently that's different.

Hence the reason she's my crazy SisIL.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Other. It depends on if there is something in the card. Cash/check/gift card- yes, you send a thank you. An empty card- not necessary to send a thank you, but nice to say thank you when you see or talk to that person again.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I definitely call and would never text. We also send a thank you card. If someone is going to go to the trouble of remembering my birthday, going to the store, picking out a card for me, and mail it, the least I can do is acknowledge that effort with a phone call. I was also raised to send a thank you note for anything received. Therefore, I call and send a note.

[/url]
JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
Plain card..no.
Card with gift...yes.

And I'm getting a kick out of the people who have someone in their lives who does the "did you get my card?" call 10 minutes after they actually send the card. My crazy SisIL is like this. Needs to have that adulation.

Of course, this is the same SisIL who doesn't think it's necessary to call and thank anyone for what they send to her or her family. "It's a gift....if you're expecting a thank you then it's no longer a gift, it's an obligation". She doesn't like it when I use her own words on her though...apparently that's different.

Hence the reason she's my crazy SisIL.
OMG- yes on the bolded! This is my Aunt! She will send a check in the card for birthdays/Christmas, and we barely have the envelope ripped open and she is searching for a thank you! She makes me absolutely crazy. She is the same aunt who makes out a wish list of gifts for christmas, and sulks if she doesn't get something from her list. She is nearly 60 years old!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Same here. I do think though if someone sends a bday card they should get one back on their bday.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Other. It depends on if there is something in the card. Cash/check/gift card- yes, you send a thank you. An empty card- not necessary to send a thank you, but nice to say thank you when you see or talk to that person again.
I agree. If there's a gift in the card I either call or send a thank you note (depending on which we think the sender would prefer.) If it's a card without gift, we don't usually make a special call or note, but I do try to say "thank you" for it the next time I talk to them. If the card was from someone we rarely see or talk to, we might take the opportunity to call... but it would be more because the card reminded me I wanted to talk to them rather than a formal "thank you" call.

I do think it's nice to thank someone for their nice gesture (card), but I think it stops at some point... otherwise, they'd be obligated to send a "thank you for sending me a thank you note" note, and so on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: