Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
sarahandgreg
Earning My Ears

vancouver flight issues

Hi,

On the Alalska cruise that docks in vancouver on the 9th September ( mon)
I live in florida - I need to get a flight out of vancouver to Florida but all the flights leave in the morning - none in the pm ! The latest is 11.30 in the morning - I dont think thats gonna work,not enough time to clear customs in port, get to airport etc etc - can anyone help me with this. My other option is getting a flight from vancouver to tampa(ft myers is my closest). The tampa flight leavs at 2 pm - but only gives me 1 hr and 15 mins to change over and clear customs before boarding my connecting flight - and i dont think this will work either - having a slight stress out !
sarahandgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Why not fly out the next day? Like those of us on the west coast that need to fly to FL the day before sailing.
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahandgreg View Post
Hi,

On the Alalska cruise that docks in vancouver on the 9th September ( mon)
I live in florida - I need to get a flight out of vancouver to Florida but all the flights leave in the morning - none in the pm ! The latest is 11.30 in the morning - I dont think thats gonna work,not enough time to clear customs in port, get to airport etc etc - can anyone help me with this. My other option is getting a flight from vancouver to tampa(ft myers is my closest). The tampa flight leavs at 2 pm - but only gives me 1 hr and 15 mins to change over and clear customs before boarding my connecting flight - and i dont think this will work either - having a slight stress out !
You will clear customs in Vancouver before you fly out.

At least that's the way it's always worked for us coming back from Vancouver to LA.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
sarahandgreg
Earning My Ears

I cant fly out the next day - it has to be monday due to work.
I am a uk citizen, so although we clear customs in Vancouver, surely you have to clear customs in The US as well - or no? My possible flight changes in Denver. If I do not have to clear customs in the US then I will be ok I think for time.
sarahandgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahandgreg View Post
I cant fly out the next day - it has to be monday due to work.
I am a uk citizen, so although we clear customs in Vancouver, surely you have to clear customs in The US as well - or no? My possible flight changes in Denver. If I do not have to clear customs in the US then I will be ok I think for time.
When we disembarked from our cruise, we went through customs at the port (into Canada). At the airport, after we checked in for our flight, and went through security, we went through customs (into the US) before boarding our flight.

When we arrived in LA, we picked up our bags at the baggage carousel and went home.

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

we had an early flight too..had our luggage with us ( didnt give them to DCL the last night) we one of the first off the ship )with the luggage) , walked to the subway/L ( or whatever it is called in Vancouver) - short walk- took the L as it was fastest way ( we thought) and it went straight to the airport..made the flight with plenty of time to spare..

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

to the op and others re pre clrence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...r_preclearance

The above link has all the info init the basics are at the major Canadian airports there are US boarder guards stationed there for people to pre clear customs it doesn't mater what country you come from initially, all that maters is you are flying through one of those city. Before going through airport security you will line up to speak with a US customs officer, they are there to enforce all US laws. Once you leave there you are still on Canadian soil you are not in the US until you land. As the OP is leaving from Vancouver and flying to Orlando they will clear US Customs in Canada and land at the domestic part of the terminal upon arrival at MCO. Pre Clarence actually helps the US air ports out a lot as it means there are less people that have to go through customs on arrival and can really speed things up a lot.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

I haven't flown from Canada, but on every international flight I've been on we've gone through customs when we arrive in the country itself (US, Spain, Japan are my experiences). I can't imagine doing customs before you leave Vancouver. (ETA, maybe it is different from Canada).

I think you will have to take another vacation day to make it work or risk it on the 2pm. Unless there is some way to make it by 11:30am...
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I haven't flown from Canada, but on every international flight I've been on we've gone through customs when we arrive in the country itself (US, Spain, Japan are my experiences). I can't imagine doing customs before you leave Vancouver. (ETA, maybe it is different from Canada).

I think you will have to take another vacation day to make it work or risk it on the 2pm. Unless there is some way to make it by 11:30am...
As noted by myself and EastYorkDisneyFan, this is how it works in Vancouver:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
When we disembarked from our cruise, we went through customs at the port (into Canada). At the airport, after we checked in for our flight, and went through security, we went through customs (into the US) before boarding our flight.

When we arrived in LA, we picked up our bags at the baggage carousel and went home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...r_preclearance

The above link has all the info init the basics are at the major Canadian airports there are US boarder guards stationed there for people to pre clear customs it doesn't mater what country you come from initially, all that maters is you are flying through one of those city. Before going through airport security you will line up to speak with a US customs officer, they are there to enforce all US laws. Once you leave there you are still on Canadian soil you are not in the US until you land. As the OP is leaving from Vancouver and flying to Orlando they will clear US Customs in Canada and land at the domestic part of the terminal upon arrival at MCO. Pre Clarence actually helps the US air ports out a lot as it means there are less people that have to go through customs on arrival and can really speed things up a lot.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Yeah there are some special rules about flights from Canada to help ease congestion in US airports and also at the port of Vancouver.

Sent from my Samsung Galexy Ace using the DISBoards app

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I confirm that we cleared customs before leaving Vancouver. It was so easy and we had three flights to get home to NC. At the first stop in Phoenix we got off the plane and went to the next gate. At home we picked up the luggage and were gone.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
canadiancruisers
Mouseketeer

For all Canadian major airports when traveling to the US, we clear customs right after we check in for the flight. There are US border guards there as if you had already landed on US soil.
canadiancruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
clten
DIS Veteran

The others are right, you clear US customs in the Vancouver airport.

The other option that I don't know if you already checked is to fly home from Seattle. Of course, the flight has to be later as you need time to get to Seattle (there's a bus you can take right from the port).
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
UK-Simon
Wow! I'd love to see the Tennis Racket for that ball!

As others mention, I live in Vancouver, (and am a UK Citizen) and can 100% promise you that you clear US customs in Vancouver after going through security. I regularly book connections in US airports with 1 hour connections. Of course nothing guarantees your flight from Van will leave on time, however, check and see if your changeover airport has any later flights to Tampa (with the same airline of course), that way if you miss your connection you can still probably get home that night.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
It is a really cool thing that Vancouver does, because you do indeed clear customs there and don't need anything more when you land in the US.

It even works with Amtrak that way, as long as you actually take the train and aren't shunted to a bus (like I was once when there was a landslide on the track).

Quote:
Before going through airport security you will line up to speak with a US customs officer, they are there to enforce all US laws. Once you leave there you are still on Canadian soil you are not in the US until you land.
I actually think that the whole concept of clearing US customs ahead of time is that in some weird way you *are* considered to be "in" the US once you've gone through.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: