Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

ABD with Physical Disability?

Has anyone ever done ABD with a motorized wheelchair and medical equipment such as a ventilator and oxygen, etc.? Would they be accommodating? Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,410
DISboards Moderator

I've never experienced this, but I know folks have done this. The one thing I know is that the ABD Adventure Guides are not allowed to physically help you (lift you in/out of the chair, on/off the bus, etc). You need to have someone you're traveling with to take care of all that.

I'd call ABD & ask them. In my experience, they are *very* accommodating.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I've never experienced this, but I know folks have done this. The one thing I know is that the ABD Adventure Guides are not allowed to physically help you (lift you in/out of the chair, on/off the bus, etc). You need to have someone you're traveling with to take care of all that.

I'd call ABD & ask them. In my experience, they are *very* accommodating.

Sayhello
Transferring or physically helping me wouldn't be a problem. I would always travel with my family who can always help me. Do you know if they would arrange accessible transportation for tours? Is that even an option? Thanks!
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,410
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellepearle View Post
Transferring or physically helping me wouldn't be a problem. I would always travel with my family who can always help me. Do you know if they would arrange accessible transportation for tours? Is that even an option? Thanks!
I do not know that. Sorry! I can't imagine that they wouldn't, but I suggest giving ABD a call to find out for sure.

(I'm doing an ABD in May, and a friend who uses a wheelchair will be on that trip. So I'm assuming ABD has worked the accessible transportation out for him. But I just haven't actually seen what they're going to do yet.)

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I do not know that. Sorry! I can't imagine that they wouldn't, but I suggest giving ABD a call to find out for sure.

(I'm doing an ABD in May, and a friend who uses a wheelchair will be on that trip. So I'm assuming ABD has worked the accessible transportation out for him. But I just haven't actually seen what they're going to do yet.)

Sayhello
Oh ok well I would love to have a trip report when you get back regarding accessibility and anything medical equipment your friend may have brought with him. That would be so helpful. Will your ABD be outside of the United States?
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
carpenta
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: grand isle, Vermont USA
Posts: 1,165

Just a note that Europe is not as advanced in the ADA type rules that we enjoy in the U.S.. But I would suspect that Disney would try to include everyone if it is possible. IMO but it would behoove you to call direct and speak to someone in charge. Hope it works out.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
Just a note that Europe is not as advanced in the ADA type rules that we enjoy in the U.S.. But I would suspect that Disney would try to include everyone if it is possible. IMO but it would behoove you to call direct and speak to someone in charge. Hope it works out.
Ok thanks so much. I was just curious.
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,410
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellepearle View Post
Oh ok well I would love to have a trip report when you get back regarding accessibility and anything medical equipment your friend may have brought with him. That would be so helpful. Will your ABD be outside of the United States?
Nope, we're doing the Spirit of America trip in Philly & Washington DC. I'll definitely post a report when I get back.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
bellepearle
Mouseketeer
 
bellepearle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Nope, we're doing the Spirit of America trip in Philly & Washington DC. I'll definitely post a report when I get back.

Sayhello
Ok well look forward to hearing about it!
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.