Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #61
bushdianee
I had a water fun day planned
I tend to buy way too many t-shirts when I visit WDW

We still have Godfather's Pizza, Sizzler and a couplle of Hardees in Omaha!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #62
PebblesMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannot_Wait_4Disney View Post
Shakey's, so named because one of its founders suffered shaking due to a bout of malaria, was a fairly large national chain at one point but a series of buyouts, each with bad management nearly killed it completely. Today, there are 58 stores left in the U.S. with 51 in California. Ironically, none of them are left in Sacramento where it was founded. Shakey's, back in its day was an example of the California style crust. It was thin, but not wafer thin, crispy on the bottom, and bubbly on the top and never soggy. Today's extra thin crusts aren't the same.
Thanks for the background! I was probably 10 or so the last time I was there, so a good 20 years ago. I don't think it went out of business until a few years ago, but it was in such an off location that it was often forgot about. The smell when walking in was great...though I remember nothing about the food other than the mashed potatoes.
PebblesMK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #63
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

We used to love the Shakey's in Cheyenne, WY. Drove out of our way to go there several times when I was a kid. Only one I've ever seen. In '93 we went out to visit my sister in Ft Collins, and one day drove up to Cheyenne to go to Shakey's. It'd been closed so long most of the people didn't even remember it LOL
Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #64
Swank
Lurker for Life

Gino's
Little Cesears used to be all over the place but most of them closed, now I see they are making a comeback in our area.

not a chain but a destination. Kapok Tree in Florida.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #65
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMandy View Post
We had one of those in the town I went to college in. Students there referred to it as "Burger Death."

Ours turned into a Hardee's and my wife got food poisoning there - does that count?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #66
jl
Mouseketeer

Morrison's Cafeteria in the southeast....we well remember the one in Lakeville, FL when we first went to the MK in 1974.
jl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #67
maslex
DIS Veteran

We used to have a Bee Bee's Dairy in a local mall. The closed quite a few years ago but they were sooooo good. The foot long hot dogs were the best as a kid. Loved their cole slaw too.
maslex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #68
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksmithvt View Post
Woolworth's lunch counter

Lum's

Woolworth's counter was my first job after high school! I was able to get a 20% discount on the stuff in the store, which helped outfit my dorm room!

Lum's - Hotdogs steamed in beer!

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #69
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

I've been to the Philippines 3 times on business and vacation and its funny, because they have a LOT of American restaurants that I never see in America anymore.

Shakey's is everywhere, I also saw Kenny Roger's Roasters, Mister Donut, El Pollo Loco

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #70
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Anyone from the Chicago area remember Farrel's Ice Cream (there was one in North Riverside Mall), C0ck Robin with the square ice cream scoop (apparently the first word is against Dis rules because it changed it all to ****), Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips or Barnaby's Pizza in Downers Grove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprincessatlast View Post
At the store looking at salsa. Thinking hey whatever happened to Chi Chi's! Oh boy we used to have some good times there. Yum Fried Ice cream. Sounds gross as an adult but as a kid it was
So what restuarants do you miss or wonder whatever happened to them.

and what about Ground Round! as a kid you paid what you weighed. Imagine doing that now!
There's a Ground Round in Tomah WI. Right off I94. I'm not sure if they still weigh the kids.

Last edited by daughtersrus; 01-17-2013 at 09:32 AM.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #71
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
We have a Ground Round up here in Bangor! I know they still have a kids' special night, but not sure if it's "pay what you weigh" or "kids eat free." In college (in Ithaca, NY) we used to go to Ground Round for chicken wing night... I think it was 10 cents each- of $5 AYCE? Can't remember... age is a sad thing sometimes!
We haven't had a Ground Round here in FOREVER. Back in 92 we were stationed at Roumulas NY and we loved to drive around the area. Needless to say, during one of our road trips to Ithaca, I saw the Ground Round and made DH go there for dinner. I had seen one in Auburn, but every time we were close to it, we were hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
i loved Rax! my sister used to work there! i much preferred their food to Arby's.
I totally agree. We ate at Rax's a whole lot more than we did at Arby's.

Places that I loved growing up and miss:

Ground Round
Chi Chi's
Bill Knapps
Godfathers Pizza
Lucky Steers Steakhouse
Sizzlers
MCL Cafeteria

And for those local places only, Charky's and The Dutch Mill.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #72
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMandy View Post
We had one of those in the town I went to college in. Students there referred to it as "Burger Death."

We called it that too! It was our High School hangout in Ohio. We were there one day when an elderly woman quietly passed away in a booth.

Our Chi Chi's here in Michigan closed and eventually reopened as an Outback steak house. Not a bad trade.
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #73
Shadeaux
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post
Anyone from the Chicago area remember Farrel's Ice Cream (there was one in North Riverside Mall), C0ck Robin with the square ice cream scoop (apparently the first word is against Dis rules because it changed it all to ****), Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips or Barnaby's Pizza in Downers Grove?
I grew up in the Chicago area....I remember the square ice cream, Arthur Treacher's & Barnaby's (the one that used to be on Touhy). Whenever we're back up there, we go to the Barnaby's in Northbrook. It's still the same yummy pizza I remember from 40 years ago!
Shadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #74
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

Sambo's!

Remember the wall mural that was so politically incorrect I don't even dare describe it on the DIS?

We didn't know any better, we just enjoyed the food!

Terri

PS I won't go into how much underage drinking we did at Chichis....
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #75
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Zantigos!!! Loved that place

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: