Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #166
2BigKIdz
Is it still winter!?!?!?!

I forgot about Shoney's. I know there are still plenty open but we do not have any here any more. I loved their hot fudge cake and their slim jim sandwiches, and I don't even like ham!

Bonanza and Western Sizzlin', same things as Sizzler. I think there are still some WS around but they definitely aren't the same as what I remember as a kid.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #167
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Does anybody know what happened to Rax? It seems like lots of people loved them and have great memories of them, so why did they close? It appears there are still a handful in Illinois/Indiana/Ohio/West Virginia, but why did so many fold? I don't remember it after I was about ten years old, so if there was some scandal or something, I don't recall.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #168
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
Does anybody know what happened to Rax? It seems like lots of people loved them and have great memories of them, so why did they close? It appears there are still a handful in Illinois/Indiana/Ohio/West Virginia, but why did so many fold? I don't remember it after I was about ten years old, so if there was some scandal or something, I don't recall.
Loved Rax. Not sure what happened. I thought Arbys bought them out, because all the old Rax are now Arbys here, but since they are still around, not sure.
Web says they went from 504 restaurants to 15 today.

I do know that most franchise owners of almost any brand do have a decision to make when their location hits 20 years of age. Most franchise agreements require a complete remodel that can cost close to $1 million when locations hit 20 years of age. Guy around here owned 20 Burger Kings......all opened at the same time, when they hit 20 years, he closed them all and retired. Said he could not justify spending $20 million. He also owned all the TGI Fridays here, and shut them down too.

I know in extreme Northern California, Redding area, guy who owned 14 KFC's back in November decided it wasn't worth it to remodel. Sold out to someone who is converting all those KFC's to Popeyes! The Colonel must be rolling in his grave.

http://www.andersonvalleypost.com/ne...orthern-calif/

Last edited by tvguy; 01-19-2013 at 08:57 PM.
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #169
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprincessatlast View Post
At the store looking at salsa. Thinking hey whatever happened to Chi Chi's! Oh boy we used to have some good times there. Yum Fried Ice cream. Sounds gross as an adult but as a kid it was
So what restuarants do you miss or wonder whatever happened to them.

and what about Ground Round! as a kid you paid what you weighed. Imagine doing that now!
i miss them two also, I loved the Twice Grilled Burrito, and the bar at ground round had trivia pursuit cards, and me and my buddy made up a drinking game out of it
Old 01-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #170
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

Regarding what happened to Rax, Wikipedia reports that they tried to expand their menus to include a lot of things like baked potatoes, pasta, Chinese food, and salad/desert bars and ended up alienating their customer base in and effort to go "upscale". After they imploded, attempts were made by Wendy's, Hardee's, and even Tim Horton's to convert many of the locations.

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #171
suzimar57
when i do put some makeup on, he's stunned!
loose screw i find in his work pants
It's cheesy, in a fun sort of way!

yes, we remember manero's in rochelle park - ate there a few times on mother's day...
Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #172
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Loved Rax. Not sure what happened. I thought Arbys bought them out, because all the old Rax are now Arbys here, but since they are still around, not sure.

I do know that most franchise owners of almost any brand do have a decision to make when their location hits 20 years of age. Most franchise agreements require a complete remodel that can cost close to $1 million when locations hit 20 years of age. Guy around here owned 20 Burger Kings......all opened at the same time, when they hit 20 years, he closed them all and retired. Said he could not justify spending $20 million. He also owned all the TGI Fridays here, and shut them down too.

I know in extreme Northern California, Redding area, guy who owned 14 KFC's back in November decided it wasn't worth it to remodel. Sold out to someone who is converting all those KFC's to Popeyes! The Colonel must be rolling in his grave.

The KFC's around here are becoming Popeye's too. I have never been, but I am looking forward to trying it!

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #173
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BigKIdz
I forgot about Shoney's. I know there are still plenty open but we do not have any here any more. I loved their hot fudge cake and their slim jim sandwiches, and I don't even like ham!

Bonanza and Western Sizzlin', same things as Sizzler. I think there are still some WS around but they definitely aren't the same as what I remember as a kid.
I miss Shoneys!

We still have A&W & KFC.

Anyone remember Grandys?
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #174
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I thought RAX got bought out by someone ( Arby's), had a fooD posioning issue or something. The Rax I remember was a RAx, than some foo fo rest. that never seemed busy and is now a boston chicken/market.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #175
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:

While I like Popeyes, it's blood expensive for what you get. DH loves their spicy stripes, but the things are so small. Even getting the 5 pc, it's still a small amount of chicken when you set them next to a 3 pc stripe meal from KFC. They built 2 here several years ago, but only 1 is still open and I perfer to not go to that part of town after dark.

Just thought of another chain that we don't have here any more. Denny's. Use to have 2, but haven't had one open for several years.

Someone mentioned the number of Godfathers still open, but the problem with that is, most of the ones that we do see, are the stands open in a gas station. You can get a personal sized pizza and bread sticks and that's about it. We use to have one in the Marathon station that was walking distance from our house. The kids would run up and get breadsticks as snacks.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #176
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Bob's Big Boy
Stuart Anderson's Steakhouse
Garcia's of Scottsdale
In Phoenix - Ricardo's
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #177
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:

There is one in Elk Grove still open. I think that is the last one.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #178
Angebee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
Fazoli's - They all closed in Florida

also, Rax, Sizzler, Ponderosa, Piccadilly, York's, Foster's Hollywood, Darryl's
Fazoli's!! You beat me to it. They also left PA. My family called it "The Italian McDonalds" when trying to explain how it could be 'Italian fast food'. I can still taste the breadsticks...

(inactive at the moment) 'No Pit Stoppo!' -- Our first TR (Feb 2013)

The Sunfinders ... 'Lady' (mom), 'Butch' (dad), me, Kit (21)

'88, '90, '94 to '98 -- offsite w/ family '09 -- ASsport & '13 -- AoA Cars '11 -- offsite at Disneyland!
Angebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #179
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angebee View Post
Fazoli's!! You beat me to it. They also left PA. My family called it "The Italian McDonalds" when trying to explain how it could be 'Italian fast food'. I can still taste the breadsticks...
I miss Fazolis also. They are around here but not anywhere I go on regular basis.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #180
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post
I miss Shoneys!

We still have A&W & KFC.

Anyone remember Grandys?
Shoney's had a great breakfast bar. I absolutely loved it, but boy it was rough working during those hours. We were swamped. I worked for them back in the days when they prepared the fried shrimp in the back instead of frozen. The hot fudge cakes and strawberry pie were both very popular. We "accidentally" messed up a hot fudge cake almost every night . When they were messed up, it just seemed such a waste to throw them away. Someone mentioned the Slim Jim. That was my favorite sandwich.

I remember Grandys. We had one here. The cinnamon rolls were oh so good.

We have KFC and Popeyes and Church's and Zaxby's. We are not hurting for fast food of any kind including chicken. Our A&W/LGS ended up closing. We have stand alone KFC's & Taco Bells and we have the combo of them together.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: