Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #151
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy
 
Minnesota!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow!
Posts: 8,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemountainmom View Post
We have Zantigos in the Twin Cities. I used to have two pretty close to me, but the one closed not long before Christmas.

We also have A & W still, but most are only open during the summer months.

For quite a long time, there has only been one Popeye's in the metro and it's not in the best area. I guess we're finally getting 16 more and one is pretty close so dh and I are pretty excited.

I think there still are Houlihans in the western part of the metro.

It's probably been over 30 years since there was a Shakey's, Farrell's or Arthur Treachers in the area.

We had Krispy Kreme for a few years and then they all closed. I would love a nice warm KK with some of their Kaffe Kreme coffee.

Did anyone else have York Steak Houses? I don't know if they were just a local thing or not, but there were quite a few in the malls around here.

Interesting thread!
There is a Zantigo in DT St. Paul....we go once in a while and it is good and fresh. Are you talking about the one in WBL closing? I always thought that was in such a weird location.

And my kids love the A&W in Little Canada....

We were shocked to see KFC closed (we get our Xmas Eve meal there...) but it will be interesting to see how Popeye's does.

I do not remember York Steak House. But we used to go to Mr. Steak as a "treat" and, this might have been just local, but Bali Hai was a restaurant that was pretty cool. Polynesian. Went out of business before I could legally try any pineapple drinks

Rax used to be around, and I LOVED Chi-Chi's. We would go every Friday night. I always got the Enchiladas Tampico. I loved their sweet corn cakes, too. And the chips and salsa.

Stuart Anderson was always good for a cheap date with the coupons they sent out. And we liked Embers for cheap dates, too. Those are gone from my neck of the woods, too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
Is Zantigos still good? I get up to the Twin Cities for business somewhat frequently and am seriously considering a side-trip to eat at one, if they haven't become total dives. From their website, it looks like there is one in Bloomington that isn't far from where I often go, so it would be fun to relive old memories. I'm sure they're not as fantastic as I remember, but if they are passable, I'll make a trip.
I think they are good...better than Taco Bell, for sure. Wouldn't hurt for you to make a run by there next time you are in town.
__________________


Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #152
mjantz
DIS Veteran
 
mjantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,383

Tippens. Great food & awesome pies. The one that closed here stood empty for years, taunting me.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #153
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo
 
usnuzuloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sacramento Ca
Posts: 121,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Yeah, A & Ws used to close for the winter here. Now they are year round, and the big thing now is they are Combo KFC/ A& W Restaurants.
There was an original A&W on freeport. We knew the owner. Then one day we drove by and it had burnt down. That was so sad.
__________________
A Carnival cruise.....with a chicken. TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....54201&posted=1
usnuzuloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #154
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 17,785

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd25wife View Post
Here, it is a combo of KFC/Taco bell and A&W/Long John Silvers.
Here Taco Bells are comboed with Pizza Hut. Never ween a Long John Silvers in a combo, always stand alone.



__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #155
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran
 
spacemountainmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 1561 miles from POFQ
Posts: 2,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
There is a Zantigo in DT St. Paul....we go once in a while and it is good and fresh. Are you talking about the one in WBL closing? I always thought that was in such a weird location.

And my kids love the A&W in Little Canada....

We were shocked to see KFC closed (we get our Xmas Eve meal there...) but it will be interesting to see how Popeye's does.

I do not remember York Steak House. But we used to go to Mr. Steak as a "treat" and, this might have been just local, but Bali Hai was a restaurant that was pretty cool. Polynesian. Went out of business before I could legally try any pineapple drinks

Rax used to be around, and I LOVED Chi-Chi's. We would go every Friday night. I always got the Enchiladas Tampico. I loved their sweet corn cakes, too. And the chips and salsa.

Stuart Anderson was always good for a cheap date with the coupons they sent out. And we liked Embers for cheap dates, too. Those are gone from my neck of the woods, too.




I think they are good...better than Taco Bell, for sure. Wouldn't hurt for you to make a run by there next time you are in town.
Yes, I was talking about the WBL one. It's on the way when I go to my mom and dad's so I was sad it was gone. I guess there is another mexican joint in there, my parents said it was pretty good. I haven't tried it yet.

I love the Rice St. A & W too. The kids and I go there for lunch in the summer.

I cannot wait for the Popeye's to open on Suburban. It's too dang far to go to Lake Street for lunch. We'll make a run once every six months or so on a weekend. I hope they do well. The Lake Street location is ALWAYS busy.

York Steak House was at Maplewood Mall and Rosedale and if I remember right they closed while I was in high school so during the mid-80's. You might be too young. I remember going to Mr. Steak for dinner as a kid. The Bali-Hai was a classic east metro restaurant. My parents went there many, many times. I never had the pleasure.

I don't even remember RAX being here, my dh does but doesn't remember where they were located. I don't think I've ever been to a Chi Chi's and cannot fathom where they were located either.

I liked Stuart Anderson's. I think the empty building still sits there in Roseville. I loved the Emburger Royale so I miss that place too.

It's kind of sad when you realize that so many places we went to as kids/teens/young adults are no longer there. I just thought about the Bridgeman's that used to be on Larpenteur, now it's a liquor store. My dh and I had our first date at Arnold's. Miss that place!
__________________
Can't wait to get back to the World!

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #156
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 17,785

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
There was an original A&W on freeport. We knew the owner. Then one day we drove by and it had burnt down. That was so sad.
I think I sent a news crew to that fire.
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #157
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran
 
spacemountainmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 1561 miles from POFQ
Posts: 2,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Here Taco Bells are comboed with Pizza Hut. Never ween a Long John Silvers in a combo, always stand alone.



We had the KFC/A&W combo, but it changed to just being a KFC. We also had a Taco Bell/Long John Silver combo, but now it's just Taco Bell
__________________
Can't wait to get back to the World!

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #158
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 12,820

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Here Taco Bells are comboed with Pizza Hut. Never ween a Long John Silvers in a combo, always stand alone.
TB and PH are mostly stand alone here other than at the airport.

The few AW and LJS still left are all combos. They used to all be stand alone.
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #159
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy
 
Minnesota!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow!
Posts: 8,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemountainmom View Post
Yes, I was talking about the WBL one. It's on the way when I go to my mom and dad's so I was sad it was gone. I guess there is another mexican joint in there, my parents said it was pretty good. I haven't tried it yet.

I love the Rice St. A & W too. The kids and I go there for lunch in the summer.

I cannot wait for the Popeye's to open on Suburban. It's too dang far to go to Lake Street for lunch. We'll make a run once every six months or so on a weekend. I hope they do well. The Lake Street location is ALWAYS busy.

York Steak House was at Maplewood Mall and Rosedale and if I remember right they closed while I was in high school so during the mid-80's. You might be too young. I remember going to Mr. Steak for dinner as a kid. The Bali-Hai was a classic east metro restaurant. My parents went there many, many times. I never had the pleasure.

I don't even remember RAX being here, my dh does but doesn't remember where they were located. I don't think I've ever been to a Chi Chi's and cannot fathom where they were located either.

I liked Stuart Anderson's. I think the empty building still sits there in Roseville. I loved the Emburger Royale so I miss that place too.

It's kind of sad when you realize that so many places we went to as kids/teens/young adults are no longer there. I just thought about the Bridgeman's that used to be on Larpenteur, now it's a liquor store. My dh and I had our first date at Arnold's. Miss that place!

Ha! I was just coming back to post about Bridgeman's! I grew up going to the one on Larpenteur (and that's now where I buy my beer!!). oooh...I forgot about Arnold's in NSP - we used to love it there. And the chinese place there now stinks. There will be a Popeye's by Mplwd Mall, too. That's the one closest to us. Rax was in Sun-Ray - right by where Target is now. I think it was Baker's Square afterwards. I grew up going to a daycare on 3rd and White Bear, and she used to take us to Rax. Chi's Chi's...there was one by Maplewood Mall - it's Acupulco now, and one behind Rosedale...well, more behind Babies R Us.

There used to be a Jerry's Fried Chicken on WB Ave and Larp, too. I had a few dates there and I worked there for a minute!
__________________


Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #160
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran
 
spacemountainmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 1561 miles from POFQ
Posts: 2,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
Ha! I was just coming back to post about Bridgeman's! I grew up going to the one on Larpenteur (and that's now where I buy my beer!!). oooh...I forgot about Arnold's in NSP - we used to love it there. And the chinese place there now stinks. There will be a Popeye's by Mplwd Mall, too. That's the one closest to us. Rax was in Sun-Ray - right by where Target is now. I think it was Baker's Square afterwards. I grew up going to a daycare on 3rd and White Bear, and she used to take us to Rax. Chi's Chi's...there was one by Maplewood Mall - it's Acupulco now, and one behind Rosedale...well, more behind Babies R Us.

There used to be a Jerry's Fried Chicken on WB Ave and Larp, too. I had a few dates there and I worked there for a minute!
That's funny, I was just thinking about Jerry's today too as I was reading this thread. DH and I lived on English for a short time and used to go to Jerry's.

Was Acupulco Chi Chi's after it was Esteban's?? I guess I am blanking out the Chi Chi's years.

My mom and dad will be happy to hear that Popeyes is coming to Maplewood. That would be closer for them.

I just can't picture Rax, but we didn't go over to Sun-Ray area too often growing up. Remember when IHOP was in the Sun-Ray parking lot? We did go there for breakfast every once in a while.
__________________
Can't wait to get back to the World!

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #161
2BigKIdz
Is it still winter!?!?!?!
 
2BigKIdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: @ the Bama Breeze
Posts: 5,367

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
We still have quite a few Hardee's here in NC.
We have Hardee's all over in VA too
__________________
2BigKIdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #162
2BigKIdz
Is it still winter!?!?!?!
 
2BigKIdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: @ the Bama Breeze
Posts: 5,367

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemountainmom View Post
We had the KFC/A&W combo, but it changed to just being a KFC. We also had a Taco Bell/Long John Silver combo, but now it's just Taco Bell
We had a Long John Silver/A&W combo but it closed and is now a Cook Out. We do have a Taco Bell/Pizza Hut combo and I think there is still a Pizza Hut/KFC combo in the next county but I never go out that way. We don't have a LJS at all now.

We had a Rax years ago, I loved their milk shakes.

Chi-Chi's was one of my favorites as a teen, loved their lunch bar! The food got progressively worse though so we had stopped eating there long before they closed. I do buy the salsa and flour tortillas at the grocery store.

I miss Morrison's Cafeteria. My mom and I use to eat their often, the food was good and cheap!
__________________
2BigKIdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #163
maxaroni
DIS Veteran
 
maxaroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,162

North jersey people. Do you remember maneros steakhouse in Rochelle park? I loved it and requested to go each year on my birthday
maxaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #164
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring
 
DisneyFan32WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: usa
Posts: 4,552

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BigKIdz View Post
We have Hardee's all over in VA too
Do they still have the soft serve vanilla/chocolate frozen yogurt?
__________________
DisneyFan32WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #165
2BigKIdz
Is it still winter!?!?!?!
 
2BigKIdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: @ the Bama Breeze
Posts: 5,367

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan32WI View Post
Do they still have the soft serve vanilla/chocolate frozen yogurt?
They switched to Hershey's dipped ice cream years ago but I don't remember seeing ice cream on the menu any more. I rarely eat there except for breakfast from time to time. They do have new chicken tenders that are good. We used to love that twist ice cream!
__________________
2BigKIdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.