Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

stomach virus days after flu shot?

Uggghhhhh...DS works at a trampoline place (as in gazillion kids) so after hounding him to get the flu shot he finally did before work on Saturday. Well, 2 a.m. last night all he** broke loose and he has been tossing his cookies every 2 hours. Now from what the nurse had told him, the flu that has been hitting( at least here) isn't really the stomach bug type as much as high fever, aches- pains, hit by a truck, sore throat etc stuff. Now DS is blaming me for making him get the shot, says he was fine until then, and I don't even know if this IS flu. He attends our Community College and has classes today and Thursday and he is freaking out about missing them, adding to his level of miserability. His fever is very slight..99.5 which is making me question if it is flu as well. We all had the same dinner last night, he doesn't drink (even if he did, this is far more volitile than from over-indulging)he was fine, absolutely no symptoms until it all erupted at 2 a.m. He did say he was a little tired but figured it was from working 8-10 hour shifts F,S,Sun...not a chance that he will go back to the doctor (and from what I understand, they do ont want people coming either)
so in my fatigue of blech handling thought I would try the DIS for info, has anyone else had this happen, or is there another virus going around that I missed the memo on?
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Ennazus8810
Mouseketeer

The nurse is correct, there is a difference between the flu and the intestinal virus. We had the stomach thing the week before Christmas, and it is nasty. Now we are dealing with the flu. My girls have had the flu shot and only got the sniffles and a slight cough. I feel like I got hit by a truck.

Last Trip-August 2012
Next trip-Oct 2014

Me DH DD(5) DD (4)
Ennazus8810 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

Yep, I'll second that. The nurse was absolutely correct. What he has is not the Flu. Flu is a respiratory virus. Has nothing to do with the stomach. What he has is a nasty stomach bug, and while it's not pleasant, it's most certainly not the result of having gotten the Flu shot. Just a coincidence that he got it the day after the shot.
Hope he feels better soon, though! I hate stomach viruses!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I kind of think it's funny that he works in stomach bug central, and he attributes the stomach virus to the flu shot! We've had 3 cases of the stomach virus here this week, and 40 kids (at least) in elementary school are out with it. It's way more common than the actual FLU (but much quicker, at least).
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Agree - unrelated to the shot. Two different systems - his is in the gut. Fecal-oral route transmission (less likely aerosolization).

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
shoney
DIS Veteran

My husband had it for 3 days last week.

On Friday my son came down with a bad head cold. He felt a little better on Sat. Sunday, he woke up with a fever, sore throat and bad stomach pain.

He only got his flu shot 2 weeks ago and I was worried.

My husband took him to the doctor. DS proceeded to puke all over. They tested him for flu and strep...both negative.

The gave him a shot in the butt and sent him home.

He was sick, from the other end!, all day and night. He is home today and starting to feel a lot better. It seems like it is going to last 3 days like his dad.

I'm spraying Lysol like crazy, hoping me and my other ds don't get it as well.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
I blame Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I kind of think it's funny that he works in stomach bug central, and he attributes the stomach virus to the flu shot! We've had 3 cases of the stomach virus here this week, and 40 kids (at least) in elementary school are out with it. It's way more common than the actual FLU (but much quicker, at least).
I know, right? Lol, so much easier to blame mom than work
I DO feel bad for the kid, and for the carpet in his room (yep, major casualty in all of this ) I think since he is usually healthy, and dodges just about everything he figures no way can it be due to work, that the only thing changed in his routine was the flu shot. Now years ago, I had to get a Varicella roster ( basically chicken pox) vaccine while pg w/DS after being exposed to the chicken pox (and still getting them while pg~long story)and I did become violently ill within hours( and for 3 days) of getting that, but they warned me I probably would due to the strength of it. I mean, I suppose there is always a possibility, but just weird. Oh well, he has been able to drink some water, here's hoping it stays down!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Two completely unrelated families of viruses. What he has is likely Norovirus, which runs rampant all over the country this time of year, and has nothing to do with influenza viruses (flu).

Flu symptoms are primarily respiratory - cough, fever, chills, body aches. Norovirus symptoms are gastrointestinal - very frequent vomiting and diarrhea.

Flu generally lasts a week or two. With Norovirus, the worst of it is over in a day or so, though you can feel run-down for a couple of days afterwards.

So, no , there's no reason for him to be blaming you. He no doubt picked it up from one of the kids at the trampoline place. It runs through schools like wildfire.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
Exactly this!
The worst stomach bug my kids ever had was after attending a birthday party at place like that.
Horrible.
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

He will realize the truth when everyone else who works at the trampoline place starts getting it, too (but didn't get the flu shot when he did). Or, it could be going around his school.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

First of all - you do not get the flu from the shot. It's not possible, because the shot contains a dead virus.

The flu shot will give you approximately 60percent protection - not perfect but better than nothing. You CAN still get the flu after getting the shot, but shot will not be the cause.

If he does not have body aches (like "getting hit by a truck") and running a high 101plus fever, he most likely has some other nasty thing, that he could have picked up anywhere!

Hope he feels better soon and stops blaming you!

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
I blame Jaws

so I guess there si another bug going around,,,lucky him! (and I hope not "us") DH did get up to help me and now I bet we are all doomed. Hopefully it is the short 3 day duration that shoney endured. DS said there is no way there is anything left to explode out from him...guess we will see . As luck would have it, I made tacos last night , kinda kicking myself for that menu choice now

Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

There is no such thing as the stomach flu. Influenza is fever, body aches, sore throat, cough and the like. Sounds like your son picked up a bug. Pretty common given where he works. Hope he's better soon.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
I blame Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by npmommie View Post
Exactly this!
The worst stomach bug my kids ever had was after attending a birthday party at place like that.
Horrible.
yeah...when he has cleaning duty, where they disinfect the trampolines and foam pits, he says he does a "whammy dance" before hand, lol...to protect him from "whatever is in there". Seriously tho, this is the first time he has gotten sick since working there and he puts in a lot of hours. Maybe it is from school, new semester, who knows, well, at least he is 8 hours into getting it over with. Watch, he will be healthy just in time to return back to work at the end fo this week...there's irony for ya.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Yeah, the stomach bug is quite violent. Hit both DDs & myself within 6 or 7 hours one night between Christmas and New Year's. DH swore it had to be food poisoning, wouldn't listen that the body aches were wickedly intense & no mistake it wasn't food poisoning.

He understood 3 days later, much to his regret.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: