Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #76
frndshpcptn
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Really knows how to have a good time at the WORLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
Seeing as how I've worn makeup maybe 10 days in my life and I have a long term BF (who I consider pretty good looking), I'd have to disagree with the speaker.

Then again, I don't have that ring yet, so maybe I should slather on some makeup (don't even know how).
But I think this is different. You don't wear make up now. So, it's not like you'd stop wearing it after you got married. You'd just stay who you are, right?

I think that's different from someone who wore make up everyday before they got married and then once the wedding happened, stopped putting it on.
frndshpcptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #77
shortbun
Peacenik

That we are paying Robertson's enlightened opinions lip service is a shame.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #78
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules10 View Post
Didn't read the whole thing but it's not always a matter of a someone not wearing make-up, getting all dressed up or having perfect hair. "Letting themselves go" can mean not caring about anything anymore. I.e. no initiative to become a better person because now (in the words of Homer Simpson) they're married and their spouse is contractually obligated to love them no matter what. Bait-n-switch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by frndshpcptn View Post
I agree with this.

I would also say that if a person took very good care of themselves prior to marriage - worked out all the time, dressed well, colored thier hair (if needed), got regular haircuts, etc. and then stopped all that after the wedding - then I can kind of understand a husband getting upset. And I'm not sure I'd blame him. He expected a person to care for themselves in one way - and then they don't.

That's not to say that things in life happen and people get sick or whatnot and that's not the same AT ALL.

I mean if you started out taking care of your appearance and then decide once you are married that you don't need to make any effort anymore...then I can understand a spouse being upset.

If my DH suddenly gained a ton of weight, stopped showering and refused to brush his teeth, believe me, we'd have a talk!!!! It isn't that I don't love him when he's smelly and extra hairy. It's that I take the time to care for myself and I married someone who also took the time to care for himself. If one of us stopped, the other would wonder. We eat fairly healthy (although we also like to splurge!) we both run and workout and we encourage our children to do these things, too. I wear makeup every day and dress up most days. I also wear yoga pants around the house if I feel like it. Either way, I take a little time to make myself presentable because *I* feel better about myself when I'm put together. If I suddently stopped caring what I looked like, my DH would and should wonder what's going on. There have been times when I was sick or when I'd just had a baby or the like when I look a mess and I feel even worse. He knows there's something wrong and kind of laughs at me because he knows I'd never willingly allow myself to look that way. Usually he'll hug me and tell me it will all be fine. If I looked that way every day, he'd probably suggest I see a doctor.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #79
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne

Health was never brought into the conversation.

It was said by an old man that if a woman doesn't wear makeup, her husband will divorce her.
Yep and a Christian man at that!!!! If I wore even half the makeup some of those tele evangelist wives wear my husband would flip. He says im most beautiful when im without makeup....he sees me as God sees me beautiful any way.
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #80
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

I saw the clip on Chelsea Lately last night. All I keep thinking was, since when are you such a great looker Pat?

When my DH married me 34 years ago I had short brown hair and wore while not a lot of make-up, much more than I do now. To be honest, if I still looked the same that I did when he married me, I would look pretty silly. I don't think my Dorthy Hamill haircut, black lined eyes, red lined lips, platform shoes and high waisted jeans would cut it now!

I think my lighter make-up, white bob and more professional clothes are much more appropriate! Sure I have gained some weight, but I have also had 3 children. Whats his excuse!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #81
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

From what's out there, this was in response to a communication from a young man who asked how to get his father to stop playing video games and pay more attention to his mother.

Sometimes a guy like that can have the best looking wife in the world, and he'd still be more interested in the video games. Not sure it has anything to do with what she looks like or whether she is "nice" to him. Of course Robertson tries to put the blame on her without knowing anything about it. But then it sounds like the mom may be complaining to her kid about her husband's lack of attention...that's not cool either.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #82
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Since we got married I lost 50lbs, got a tummy tuck, straightened my teeth, and learned to style my hair.

DH has gained 50lbs, rarely shaves, and his head (at 34!) is covered in gray.

According to this theory I'm due for an upgrade!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #83
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Aaah, good old Pat Robertson... A few months ago he advised a man to move to Saudi Arabia so he could beat his wife.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #84
EllaJuniper
Earning My Ears

Halle berry got cheated on .... 'Nuff said.

Times marches on, People get older. Being old is not pretty. Life is in stages & phases and seems like pretty early into the games looks fade and become hard to maintain.

Marriage is about staying together, thru thick & thin LOL

That said I have a grandmother about Pat's age and she dresses in pressed clothes and mainly skirts, has her hair & nails done weekly, and has an intense make up routine.... And a steady boyfriend ! ( my grandfather passed 20 years ago)
I am glad to see almost all the post on here seem to have a moderate outlook & shared consensus.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: