Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #61
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisGirlAllie View Post
"If you can't handle me in sweatpants, you don't deserve me in a wedding dress."
Well said!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #62
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonful of Sugar View Post
I think it's more likely that such marriages fail because they were based solely on physical appearance. If you want a marriage like that to last, better hope the wife's still hot in her 80's.
It's not about trying to look 20 when you're 80. It's about how you present yourself to the world and that says something about how you feel about yourself and about how you feel about your spouse and about how you expect others to treat you.

If you present yourself slovenly when out and about with your spouse, what message does that send to people?

If it truly doesn't matter what you wear and how you present yourself in public, then I guess it is ok to wear daisy dukes and a halter top to a wedding (unless it is a Dukes of Hazard theme wedding of course).

It also seems that if you do not care about your health, that also says something about how you feel about your spouse. If you don't care about your health, then you don't really care about having the relationship last as long as it could. I feel I owe it to my DH to at least take reasonable care of myself and look after my health. After all, I want to live as long as possible to spend as much life with him as possible.

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

====================================
DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #63
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaverTex View Post
If I insisted on Mrs. Tex wearing makeup, or fixing her hair, or dressing fancy, I'd have to get me a doghouse so that I'd have a place to sleep out of the rain. I kinda love the snot out of her anyhow. I knew she was a small town farm girl going in, I wouldn't trade her for anything, and I've always thought she was beautiful. You're free to disagree, of course, but not to my face, 'k?

I'm certainly no prize myself, I ought to trim my beard more often, and I ought to update my own wardrobe. She seems to like me anyhow. At least, she's put up with me for over 36 years.

And Pat Robertson should go suck on a concrete lemon.
Wish I could find a Mr Tex of my own.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #64
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
It's not about trying to look 20 when you're 80. It's about how you present yourself to the world and that says something about how you feel about yourself and about how you feel about your spouse and about how you expect others to treat you.

If you present yourself slovenly when out and about with your spouse, what message does that send to people?

If it truly doesn't matter what you wear and how you present yourself in public, then I guess it is ok to wear daisy dukes and a halter top to a wedding (unless it is a Dukes of Hazard theme wedding of course).

It also seems that if you do not care about your health, that also says something about how you feel about your spouse. If you don't care about your health, then you don't really care about having the relationship last as long as it could. I feel I owe it to my DH to at least take reasonable care of myself and look after my health. After all, I want to live as long as possible to spend as much life with him as possible.
Health was never brought into the conversation.

It was said by an old man that if a woman doesn't wear makeup, her husband will divorce her.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #65
Shyvioletisme
So I have a doppleganger running around out there with a kid

Well I've only worn makeup maybe 2-3 times in the 11 years DH and I have been together(I'll occasionally wear eyeshadow if we're going out and some lipstick), so that is clearly not an issue here. I very rarely "do" my hair as my hair is naturally wavy/curly and kind of does itself. On a rare occasion I will actually take the time and effort to straighten it, but not often. DH met me and married me without makeup and my hair in its natural state, so I'd say those two things play no factor at all in our marriage.
I feel sad for people who feel like they have to get dolled up for their spouse. If they like to, that's one thing. But if your marriage suffers because you no longer choose to, I'd be happier getting out of that one than staying put.

WDW: last trip:
Oct/Nov 2005 CBR for Honeymoon
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67045761@N00/
Shyvioletisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #66
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Well, I guess if your marriage is based on someones outward appearance then I could see how it would be harmful to the marriage to "let yourself go".

Thankfully, I have a marriage based on love, respect, trust and faithfulness. I'm glad that I found a man to love me for who I am on the inside and not just my outward appearance. It allows me to truly be me.

I am comfortable enough in my own skin that I don't have to wear makeup to make myself look good. I look good without it. Glad that I am not insecure in my marriage where I felt I had to wear makeup or dress a certain way to "prevent" my husband from wandering.

I love how it's okay for men to let themselves go though. He didn't mention that did he? Sounds like nothing more then a man making up excuses for his own selfish gain and conscience. Pathetic.

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #67
Acklander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidict View Post
Well, I guess if your marriage is based on someones outward appearance then I could see how it would be harmful to the marriage to "let yourself go".

True enough. I once watched an interview with one of Donald Trumps wives before they got married. The interviewer asked her if she would have married him if he was poor, she responded with the comment that it was a stupid question, it's like asking him if he would have married her if she was ugly. That woman was a realist. She knew what he was looking for, and she was prepared to sign on for the duration in exchange for a lucrative lifestyle. I'm not saying they didn't love each other. I'm sure they did in their own way, but that's a woman who understood that she'd be wearing makeup everyday for her husband. If it works for them, good enough.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #68
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2disneyboys View Post
What do you all think??? Is a women not "doing her hair or makeup" on a regular basis the reasons so many marriage fail in America???
If it is, it was a shallow marriage to begin with.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #69
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

As others have said, PR is senile and they should stop letting him speak publicly.

Now, DH prefers me without makeup and he knew he was marrying a girl who wasn't going to wear it most of the time.

However, I can see a scenario where a wife knows her husband likes her to be 'made up' or whatever, and her lack of doing so is a symptom of other things that might lead to divorce.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #70
Hercules10
Al Bundy WannaBe

Didn't read the whole thing but it's not always a matter of a someone not wearing make-up, getting all dressed up or having perfect hair. "Letting themselves go" can mean not caring about anything anymore. I.e. no initiative to become a better person because now (in the words of Homer Simpson) they're married and their spouse is contractually obligated to love them no matter what. Bait-n-switch...
Hercules10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #71
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I heard the actual clip on the radio this morning, he is old and outdated and who really watches the 700 Club anymore anyway? That show needs to go away. lol He said that basically it's up to the woman to "keep the spark alive" but I disagree 100% I think both parties have a part in that, besides if my sweetie likes me better without makeup then I won't wear it, and since he does I guess I'm probably good to go.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #72
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgswife View Post
If that's the case then my marriage should have ended 20 yrs ago. I'm not a big make up wearer...maybe on a special occasion but that is about it.
Me too

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #73
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidict View Post

Thankfully, I have a marriage based on love, respect, trust and faithfulness. I'm glad that I found a man to love me for who I am on the inside and not just my outward appearance. It allows me to truly be me.

I am comfortable enough in my own skin that I don't have to wear makeup to make myself look good. I look good without it. Glad that I am not insecure in my marriage where I felt I had to wear makeup or dress a certain way to "prevent" my husband from wandering.

I love how it's okay for men to let themselves go though. He didn't mention that did he? Sounds like nothing more then a man making up excuses for his own selfish gain and conscience. Pathetic.
This!!!

And since we moved to a little farmette earlier this year, my routine question to DH or DD is "Do you see any poop on my jeans and if not, do I smell badly enough that I need to change?" I pray the answer is no because I really don't want to go find a clean pair of jeans.
DH and I love each other no matter what we look like.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #74
frndshpcptn
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Really knows how to have a good time at the WORLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules10 View Post
Didn't read the whole thing but it's not always a matter of a someone not wearing make-up, getting all dressed up or having perfect hair. "Letting themselves go" can mean not caring about anything anymore. I.e. no initiative to become a better person because now (in the words of Homer Simpson) they're married and their spouse is contractually obligated to love them no matter what. Bait-n-switch...
I agree with this.

I would also say that if a person took very good care of themselves prior to marriage - worked out all the time, dressed well, colored thier hair (if needed), got regular haircuts, etc. and then stopped all that after the wedding - then I can kind of understand a husband getting upset. And I'm not sure I'd blame him. He expected a person to care for themselves in one way - and then they don't.

That's not to say that things in life happen and people get sick or whatnot and that's not the same AT ALL.

I mean if you started out taking care of your appearance and then decide once you are married that you don't need to make any effort anymore...then I can understand a spouse being upset.
frndshpcptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #75
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Seeing as how I've worn makeup maybe 10 days in my life and I have a long term BF (who I consider pretty good looking), I'd have to disagree with the speaker.

Then again, I don't have that ring yet, so maybe I should slather on some makeup (don't even know how).
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: