Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #31
si-am
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
I agree with this. I don't think anyone can say that women not wearing make-up causes divorces. But I do think that when a spouse "lets themself go" it can create the possibility that their spouse may start looking elsewhere. Most of the time, it's just window shopping, but sometimes window shopping leads to impulse buying.

I am not saying that I agree with it or that I think it's okay. All I'm saying is that if you have apples at home, sometimes a mango can be tempting. One would hope a strong enough relationship would prevail, but not all relationships are that strong.
I also agree. I don't see anything wrong with wearing sweats and ponytails around the house, but I do think men appreciate a bit more effort at other times. Do I think that's the way things SHOULD be? No. But I think that's how they are.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #32
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
This man is not empowered to speak on my behalf or on the behalf of my gender!

Consider the source. Enough said...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #33
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

My husband PREFERS me without makeup. He can't stand the way it feels, smells or gets on him when we kiss, and frankly neither can I. I don't wear makeup...never really have. That's how he fell for me and that's how I'll stay.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #34
smkohn
Mouseketeer

Add me to the list of people who have never been big make up wearers. I also have no idea how to do anything to my hair except straighten it and put it in a pony tail. I prefer pajama pants around the house to jeans. My boyfriend doesn't mind. I do, however, like to dress up for him sometimes. I think its nice when we both put a little something extra into our appearance, even if its just on special occasions. I don't think not wanting to get all dressed up with a ton of make up on is cause for a divorce though.

Also, in response to the title, I'd be pretty upset if a "bare face" directly caused a divorce. However, if I had a bear face, I give my future husband full permission to leave me. Not sure why I would someday wake up with a bear face, but you never know.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #35
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
It was Pat Robertson who said it.
Well, that says it all.
RitaZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #36
Spoonful of Sugar
Mouseketeer

I think it's more likely that such marriages fail because they were based solely on physical appearance. If you want a marriage like that to last, better hope the wife's still hot in her 80's.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #37
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan32WI
Men are very visual creatures.

I know many, many women who have let themselves go over time because they get comfortable. Wearing sweatpants all the time, letting the gray hair grow, no makeup, not shaving, old clothes, becoming prudes, and the list goes on and on. Some women simply stop trying. I will never understand this.

While I may not agree that this ends marriages, it could lead men to have wandering eyes.
Not good men.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #38
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Well if a man or woman divorces their spouse because their spouse "let themselves go," the thing really being let go is commitment and the one doing it is the man or woman that initiated the divorce.

It's till death parts us. It isn't until your lack of lipstick or too much gray hair or baldness parts us.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #39
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

There is a wide margin between "letting one's self go" and "not dressing to the 9s every day". That's my first disclaimer.

Next, my hubby does not like it when I wear the "mom shorts/pants" around the house. I don't like it when he wears his LSU gear every stinkin day. Get over it, already.

Finally, as a conservative, Christian, I am sick and tired of Pat Robertson reinforcing some of this antiquated, outdated garbage that I feel is intended to "keep women in their place".
turkeymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #40
Acklander
DIS Veteran

I've brought a lot of things to the marriage, besides how I look. I'm aging, so is DH. We still have lots in common and enjoy each others company. 26 years strong, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've put on makeup during the year. This includes from the first year we met, until the past year. We're casual and it works for us.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #41
Tink888
Wishing I Was At World Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan32WI View Post
Men are very visual creatures.

I know many, many women who have let themselves go over time because they get comfortable. Wearing sweatpants all the time, letting the gray hair grow, no makeup, not shaving, old clothes, becoming prudes, and the list goes on and on. Some women simply stop trying. I will never understand this.

While I may not agree that this ends marriages, it could lead men to have wandering eyes.
I agree with this.

I work from home so the majority of the time I am that woman in sweats with no make-up. My husband has never complained or said a word and our marriage is good but I have no doubt that he loves to see me dressed up and with make-up. I feel the same way about him. It's nice to see each other looking our best.

So while I don't think a lack of effort should end a marriage, it certainly can't hurt one to make an effort.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #42
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

When a spouse - either one - REALLY lets themselves go, it often extends well beyond a declining appearance. The lack of effort in keeping up appearance can be much easier to tolerate than lack of effort elsewhere.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #43
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink888 View Post
I agree with this.

I work from home so the majority of the time I am that woman in sweats with no make-up. My husband has never complained or said a word and our marriage is good but I have no doubt that he loves to see me dressed up and with make-up. I feel the same way about him. It's nice to see each other looking our best.

So while I don't think a lack of effort should end a marriage, it certainly can't hurt one to make an effort.
Do I *LIKE* seeing my DW "dressed to the 9's"? Sure.
Do I *NEED* to see my DW dressed up to stay married to her? Absolutely not.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #44
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgswife View Post
If that's the case then my marriage should have ended 20 yrs ago. I'm not a big make up wearer...maybe on a special occasion but that is about it.
Yup me too. We just celebrated our 20th anniversary and I believe I wore make up to dinner. I *did* start to wear some tinted moisturizer for a while but even that was too much of a PITB for me, especially when I would rub my eye and suddenly start to tear up.
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #45
2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. It's a relief that there are sane people on the DIS! I wasn't going to actually identify the speaker as I didn't want to send this thread in the wrong direction. . Honestly. I was just so surprised to see o many responders were agreeing with his theory I just had to see if I was crazy or not, lol!

I don't agree with him @ all and I am also a Christian.

I do not waer very much makeup in a regular basis (it annoys me and is time consuming ) I do enjoy looking nice. But that's for myself. It makes me feel good. I am glad my DH accepts me for me!

DH ME
DS#1 13 DS#2 10

Lots of Magical Memories between 1999 - 2012
Maybe another visit in 2013 ? I can only hope!
2disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: