Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznygirl View Post
Conversely, can I get a divorce because I was unaware of the weird noises and smells I would have to endure as a married woman?
No doubt!

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
If a decline in a partner's looks (whether male or female) has ANYTHING to do with a divorce (and I don't doubt it does for some), IMO, it wasn't a relationship built on love.
this!

both DH and i have put on weight since we got married over 15 years ago (i'm working on mine). even then, i was not a "wear make-up every day" girl. i do wear it, but most definitely not every day.

thank goodness we didn't marry for looks! if that's all a marriage is based on, then that's a pretty shoddy foundation. looks fade. true love does not.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #18
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Pat Robertson is an idiot. I honestly don't know why the news covers anything he says.
hereyago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
happygirl
DIS Veteran

That a shallow marriage anyway if that what a marriage is built on
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #20
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Oh, for cryin' out loud. Would someone please shut that man up??? He and a few loudmouth whackos like him give Christianity a bad name.

Seriously, though, I think he's got the beginnings of some kind of brain problem. He's lost his filter completely and seems to be continuously spewing out stupid stuff. I saw one clip from an episode of the 700 club where even his cohost looked at him like he was an idiot.

If he has some health issue going on, his family and staff need to reel him in and force him out of the spotlight and into retirement.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
If a decline in a partner's looks (whether male or female) has ANYTHING to do with a divorce (and I don't doubt it does for some), IMO, it wasn't a relationship built on love.
Well said. I agree with this person 100%+

If a man wants a Barbie doll or a woman wants a Ken they shouldn't think about getting married. Things happen. Looks aren't forever.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2disneyboys View Post
Ok, here's a thought for discussion.

On our local news channel they have a story tonight on how a local "speaker" feels that women who "let themselves go" account for a lot of the reason marriages fail

Now, let me state that I am in no way being insensitive to divoices or anything like that! I do not agree with this "speakers' Comment. I also am NOT one who always dresses to the nines and has full hair & makeup at all times. nope, not me. I don't know that I agree w/ this theory, but on the facebook post, there were over 3000 comments and alot of them were in agreement????

What do you all think??? Is a women not "doing her hair or makeup" on a regular basis the reasons so many marriage fail in America???
I NEVER wear makeup. Not ever. I never do anything to my hair either (I don't even own a blowdryer!) And I've been married for 22 years. Of course I never wore makeup or fussed with my hair before we were married, either. My husband still thinks I'm beautiful.

If that's an actual reason why marriages fail in America, it just proves that America is full of shallow men.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #23
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My husband and I have discussed this in the past, and that's exactly what he has said. He said he can't imagine being in a relationship where one spouse or the other has to be concerned about whether a change in their looks is going to impact their marriage (for the record, I've put on some weight, but he's not that much heavier than he was when we married).

I've heard my son-in-law tell my daughter that he doesn't know why she thinks she has to put on make up and get "all fixed up". He tells her that she's beautiful without "all that stuff".

This isn't the first thing that I've heard Pat Robertson say that I don't agree with. As a professing Christian, I have been appalled at some of the things I've heard him say. This would be one of them.

ETA: I just watched the video, and I can't believe what the man said. A teenage boy is asking a question (sent to Maxim magazine) about his dad spending so much time on video games and seeing how alone his mother was feeling. He's asking for advice on how to help them reconnect, and PR starts in on the mom (she may not be as sweet as the son thinks she is)? Wow, what kind of an example is he being to this son? I'm really annoyed now. And to make a joke that a woman went to her pastor for advice about her husband's drinking, and the pastor's supposed response was that he'd drink too if he were married to her because of how she looked??? That's despicable.

Last edited by horseshowmom; 01-16-2013 at 06:42 PM.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB
That explains a lot.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Men are very visual creatures.

I know many, many women who have let themselves go over time because they get comfortable. Wearing sweatpants all the time, letting the gray hair grow, no makeup, not shaving, old clothes, becoming prudes, and the list goes on and on. Some women simply stop trying. I will never understand this.

While I may not agree that this ends marriages, it could lead men to have wandering eyes.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #26
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
Oh, for cryin' out loud. Would someone please shut that man up??? He and a few loudmouth whackos like him give Christianity a bad name.

Seriously, though, I think he's got the beginnings of some kind of brain problem. He's lost his filter completely and seems to be continuously spewing out stupid stuff. I saw one clip from an episode of the 700 club where even his cohost looked at him like he was an idiot.

If he has some health issue going on, his family and staff need to reel him in and force him out of the spotlight and into retirement.
I agree. He's an 82 year old man. I think it's reasonable for him to have some quirks and opinions that are influenced by his age, but I think it does him a disservice to let him continue to spout nonsence that will only anger people and cause controversy. Someone should be helping him age gracefully and be helping to monitor his public persona before he does more damage.

I am a Christian, but am definitely NOT a Pat Robertson fan. At this point though, I feel bad for him. He may be at a point where he's getting compromised and doesn't realize it yet. Someone needs to help the man rather than allowing him to continue in his role as some sort of spokesman!

Last edited by disykat; 01-16-2013 at 06:15 PM.
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan32WI

I know many, many women who have let themselves go over time because they get comfortable. Wearing sweatpants all the time, letting the gray hair grow, no makeup, not shaving, old clothes, becoming prudes, and the list goes on and on. Some women simply stop trying. I will never understand this.

While I may not agree that this ends marriages, it could lead men to have wandering eyes.
My husband thinks my gray hair is sexy. I, on the other hand, hate it. :shrug:
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan32WI View Post

I agree with this. I don't think anyone can say that women not wearing make-up causes divorces. But I do think that when a spouse "lets themself go" it can create the possibility that their spouse may start looking elsewhere. Most of the time, it's just window shopping, but sometimes window shopping leads to impulse buying.

I am not saying that I agree with it or that I think it's okay. All I'm saying is that if you have apples at home, sometimes a mango can be tempting. One would hope a strong enough relationship would prevail, but not all relationships are that strong.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #29
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Please keep in mind that in 1976 he predicted that the world would end in October or November of 1982.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #30
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I don't wear makeup daily, nor do I dress up or fix my hair daily. I have a full time day job in a warehouse, I'm currently wearing 2 shirts, a big sweatshirt, 2 pairs of socks, my hood is up and my scarf is on, I have a part time "job" teaching line dancing at a local bar, when I go there I'm in jeans (or shorts or a dress weather dependent), cowboy boots, tank tops, my hair is fixed and I have on a little bit of makeup but not a lot. I just don't do that and never really have. If that leads to the breakup of my relationship then it wasn't a very good relationship to begin with. lol

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: