Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
pluto1974
Earning My Ears

Port of Galveston question

Hi everyone
We're going on a Disney cruise out of Galveston Texas. At the end of the trip, we'd like to go out and see the city of Galveston as i've heard it's very nice and some attractions (such as the strand stores/restaurants/etc) are walking distance from the port. Does anyone know if there is a luggage storage/hold area at or near the port? And any family friendly restaurants in the area?

I tried doing a search on my question but cannot find an answer.

Last edited by pluto1974; 01-16-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: forgot to ask a question
pluto1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
rewhitingjr
Living the Disney Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto1974 View Post
Hi everyone
We're going on a Disney cruise out of Galveston Texas. At the end of the trip, we'd like to go out and see the city of Galveston as i've heard it's very nice and some attractions (such as the strand stores/restaurants/etc) are walking distance from the port. Does anyone know if there is a luggage storage/hold area at or near the port? And any family friendly restaurants in the area?

I tried doing a search on my question but cannot find an answer.
Rainforest Cafe http://www.galveston.com/rainforestcafe/
rewhitingjr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
CrispyCruiser
Earning My Ears

I'm not sure about the port, but perhaps you can contact Harbor House hotel and see if their concierge will hold your luggage for a small fee? They have a shuttle from the port as well as it is walking distance. There are several things to do in Galveston - check out Moody Gardens, the new Pleasure Pier (they also have a Bubba Gump here), Fish Tales (yummy restaurant), the Strand, the Tall Ship Elyssa (within walking distance - also a good family friendly seafood restaurant here) etc. I would be concerned storing it at the terminal as, as soon as the last ship sails I believe most/all of the employees go home. Another option might be to rent a car for the day from Enterprise - they will pick you up from most places.
Have fun!
CrispyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
pluto1974
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Is Enterprise is the closest car rental? Or is there a closer one to the port terminal?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
CrispyCruiser
Earning My Ears

There may be closer but Enterprise is the only one I know of with free pick up service. I'm not positive they pick up at the port so please call and verify
Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
CrispyCruiser
Earning My Ears

Meant to mention, the rainforest cafe in Galveston has a water raft ride! You won't get wet and it is a bit hokey but its cute
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

When we sailed out of Galveston in November the Elissa was not in her berth. Anyone know what'sup with that? The Galveston railroad museum is pretty much across the street from the port and we enjoyed their collection of rolling stock, Lionel model railroad, and their restored station (and well, everything, they were walloped in the hurricane flooding). They have a short train ride on some days.

If you have a car you can ride through the residential area between the port area and seawall area to see some really great homes that are 150ish years old and beautifully restored. There are also some tree stumps in that district that were carved into works of art after the hurricane. They're just in yards, you'll see them as you go around. There is a walking /driving tour brochure that will point them out.

Also if you have a car you can take the ferry to Bolivar Peninsula to exit the island if you're heading east, or do a round trip if you just want to sightsee. It's free but from the loading chutes I could tell the waits can be long in warmer months or holidays. You can also park the car and take the ferry as a foot passenger.

Walking along the seawall is also nice.

Those are just a few observations from my one visit as a cruise passenger. Hope it helps some. I loved our Galveston cruise. Lots of good memories.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
BearChick
Earning My Ears

I lived in Galveston from 2006-2010 and owned a few businesses on the Strand and beach.

My suggestions: Family-friendly dining--Casey's (39th and Seawall). Casey's is the casual-dining option from the Gaido family, who have been Galveston dining institutions for more than 100 years. Gaido's, next door, is their flagship restaurant. Although they don't have the same menu, Casey's still has the same high-quality Gulf-fresh seafood as Gaido's (Landry's and the other chains use frozen seafood from all over the place) and has burgers and other options for the kids. The prices are reasonable (far better than Rainforest) and it's got a great view of the water.

It is not, however, within walking distance of the cruise ship.

If you want to eat within walking distance of the terminal, I recommend the following:

Lunchbox Cafe, 23rd Street about a block off Strand. Locally-owned, artisan sandwiches. If you like gourmet sandwiches made with local, organic ingredients, this is a GREAT place.

Yaga's Cafe, 23rd and Strand. Pizza, burgers, some seafood. Locally-owned.

Olympia 21. At 21st and Harborside. Greek food, also locally-owned. Pricier than the other options, but great seafood and a harbor view.

You can see all of these are locally-owned. There are so many great local options in Galveston, I don't think I've ever recommended a chain restaurant.

The previous poster is correct...in the general "downtown" area, there is a lot of historic architecture. Galveston has the largest collection of Victorian homes west of the Mississippi. Many of them survived the Great Storm of 1900, the largest natural disaster in American history. 1900 Storm Survivors often have a plaque on them that looks like a diamond with a rectangle through it. All of them survived Hurricane Ike. Our former store downtown had 9 1/2 feet of water in it from Ike and our store on the beach sat almost 17 feet off the ground and STILL had almost 2 ft of water in it. Ike was a Category 2 (almost 3) with a Category 4 storm surge. If you're interested in the 1900 Storm, at 21st and Harborside at the Great Storm Theatre, there's a great movie on it and also the island's history with the Pirate Jean Lafitte (the foundation of his home is behind a *ahem* lovely chain link fence on Harborside around 15th Street, I think.)

The Pleasure Pier opened after we moved, but I hear it's fun. Moody Gardens has great family activities. A day pass is $49 and includes admission to the Rainforest pyramid, aquarium, IMAX, and paddlewheel boat.
BearChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
virgilatmit
Mouseketeer

I called the Enterprise in Galveston to make a reservation, since our flight is out of IAH and not until 850 pm. They aren't allowed to pickup from the port, but a taxis is only a few dollars; they're definitely the closest to the port.

We're renting a mini-van; because of one way drop off fee at the airport, the charge is about $170. That's the same as we're paying for a shuttle to get from the airport to Galveston, so I think it's a good deal to give us flexibility and a place to put our luggage while we explore the island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCruiser View Post
There may be closer but Enterprise is the only one I know of with free pick up service. I'm not positive they pick up at the port so please call and verify
virgilatmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
fatfish
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilatmit View Post
I called the Enterprise in Galveston to make a reservation, since our flight is out of IAH and not until 850 pm. They aren't allowed to pickup from the port, but a taxis is only a few dollars; they're definitely the closest to the port.

We're renting a mini-van; because of one way drop off fee at the airport, the charge is about $170. That's the same as we're paying for a shuttle to get from the airport to Galveston, so I think it's a good deal to give us flexibility and a place to put our luggage while we explore the island.
Great idea! Just a warning to be careful wandering around Galveston. The Strand area and Seawall are nice and family-friendly, as is Moody Gardens. And there are some gorgeous Victorian homes. But there are also bad neighborhoods on Galveston island, so be careful if you venture away from the Strand and Seawall and other "touristy" areas.
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
catislander
Mouseketeer

BearChick, thanks for the recommendations. We're coming in a day early and staying at the Galvez. Gaido's sounds like a good option for us.
catislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
pluto1974
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearChick View Post
I lived in Galveston from 2006-2010 and owned a few businesses on the Strand and beach.

My suggestions: Family-friendly dining--Casey's (39th and Seawall). Casey's is the casual-dining option from the Gaido family, who have been Galveston dining institutions for more than 100 years. Gaido's, next door, is their flagship restaurant. Although they don't have the same menu, Casey's still has the same high-quality Gulf-fresh seafood as Gaido's (Landry's and the other chains use frozen seafood from all over the place) and has burgers and other options for the kids. The prices are reasonable (far better than Rainforest) and it's got a great view of the water.

The Pleasure Pier opened after we moved, but I hear it's fun. Moody Gardens has great family activities. A day pass is $49 and includes admission to the Rainforest pyramid, aquarium, IMAX, and paddlewheel boat.
thanks for the info. is Gaido's family friendly? Or would you recommend going to Casey's with a 6yr old boy?

Tags
galveston, luggage hold, luggage storage

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: