Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
tigertimbo
Earning My Ears

Help me understand the refillable mug....

1. Why is it so great? Don't you have to carry these around all day, and who holds the mugs when the whole family goes on rides?

2. Can't you refill your drink that you get at a counter service and carry it around the rest of the day and refill it with water at water fountains?

3. Why are people selling these on EBAY? Do ones already purchased still work?
tigertimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

1. The refillable mugs are for use only at your resort- not the parks, so no need to carry them with you once you leave your hotel.

2. See #1.

3. Refillable resort mugs are good for the length of your stay- not for subsequent visits. If folks are buying them on eBay, it's because they are either collecting them or planning to break the rules while at WDW.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

They are a great idea if spending fair bit of time at your resort. Cannot refill in the parks so if you are a rope-drop-to-park-closing guest, it might not be worth it. For us, we have never filled and taken to parks...usually empty before we get there and then we have to take up backpack space.

People are selling on eBay because the design has not changed in the last couple of years and the resorts do not check (usually) to see if you bought on this trip (official rule) or a prior one. BUT...have heard that some resorts are starting to use scanners to enforce the rules, but not sure that is widespread yet.

There is a big separate thread on this topic so you can get full range of answers (and opinions!) there.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
BUT...have heard that some resorts are starting to use scanners to enforce the rules, but not sure that is widespread yet.
As far as I know they only did it at AS Sports and it was for a limited amount of time. We were there during that time (sept 2011), and I bought a mug at the food court for myself as a souvenir, since I don't drink soda or Nescafe (well, I had one mug full to make sure they hadn't magically made it turn into coffee...nope, they hadn't), and of course the scanner thing only worked for soda. Coffee, no scanner, so that was kind of funny. Also funny, when you bought one at the resort, not attached to a package, there were NO questions about length of stay or anything, so apparently the chip on those mugs there were done a different way? Anyway, they stopped the test, I believe before 2012 started, and I've never heard of any resort doing another test at all.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertimbo View Post
1. Why is it so great? Don't you have to carry these around all day, and who holds the mugs when the whole family goes on rides?

2. Can't you refill your drink that you get at a counter service and carry it around the rest of the day and refill it with water at water fountains?

3. Why are people selling these on EBAY? Do ones already purchased still work?
1 - If you don't go back to your room after filling up the mugs, then yes, you would have to carry them around all day. However, a lot of families will send one person down the food court, have them fill up the mugs while the rest of the family is getting ready so the mugs are returned to the room. Once back at the room, one person goes down to the food court for the nightly beverages. The mugs are also nice for sitting around the pool.

2. You can refill your drink that you buy at a park counter service (NOT YOUR RESORT MUG) from the water fountains. You cannot use your resort mug in the parks. However, if you choose to carry your resort mug in the parks, then you can use it at the water fountains. Your choice.

3. Some people collect the mugs. Some people want to try and use them again and not spend the money on beverages while at a resort. Personally, I don't think it's worth the time and effort to do that as you have to first make the bid and win it, then have the mug(s) sent to you. Then have to hope no one says anything to you when you are filling them up at Disney World. Just invest the money at the resort since it's much easier.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
2. You can refill your drink that you buy at a park counter service (NOT YOUR RESORT MUG) from the water fountains. You cannot use your resort mug in the parks. However, if you choose to carry your resort mug in the parks, then you can use it at the water fountains. Your choice.
Also note that you can get free ice water at any counter service restaurant in the parks. I believe it to be filtered water because it tastes much better than the stuff coming out of the drinking fountains.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

DW and I each had our own backsack to take to the parks. We would eat breakfast in the food court and then put them in our sacks - not all that heavy and doesn't take up much space. At the end of the day when we were exhausted and got off the bus, it was nice to get a drink and head back to the room and not have to come back out for the nite.

But I understand it will be different for a large group or family with small kids....
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
SolitaryPhoenix
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfnerd View Post
DW and I each had our own backsack to take to the parks. We would eat breakfast in the food court and then put them in our sacks - not all that heavy and doesn't take up much space. At the end of the day when we were exhausted and got off the bus, it was nice to get a drink and head back to the room and not have to come back out for the nite.

But I understand it will be different for a large group or family with small kids....
This is what we usually do as well. And as others have pointed out, a cup is a cup, so if you wanted to use it to fill up with water and drink out of it in the parks you can do that. I've also poured my soda or tea I've purchased with meals into it and used it to continue walking around a park, rather than wandering around with a paper cup. Rinse and dry in the nearest bathroom, throw it back in your backpack. They're a little pricey, but you can really get a lot of use out of them, both during your stay and then at home.
11/04 ~ PC | 10/3-10/8/05 ~ PC | 12/16-12/18/05 ~ CS | 1/27-1/29/06 ~ split PC/CS | 3/3-3/5/06 ~ POR | 9/24-9/30/06 ~ split Swan/POR | 6/6-6/9/07 ~ PC | 6/8-6/14/08 ~ POR ~ DD 1st visit! | 9/12-9/14/08 ~ AKV Jambo ~ 1st DVC! | 12/19-12/21/08 ~ WLV | 5/10-5/14/09 ~ AKV Jambo | 6/5-6/7/09 ~ PC |7/26-7/28/09 ~ OKW with DD | 9/17-9/19/10 ~ AKV Jambo ~ Mom's 75th | 6/24-6/26/11 ~ FW with DD|6/1-6/3/12 ~ FW with DD, nephew + friends | 6/24-6/29/12 ~ AKV Jambo |8/9-8/12/12 ~ FW with DD + friend | 9/21-23/12 ~ AKV ~ first stay at Kidani! | 2/8-2/10/13 ~ PC | 3/2-3/3/13 ~ PC w/ DD + friend | 5/10-5/12/13 ~ CS w/ DD | 9/13 - 9/16/13 ~ AKV-Kidani | 4/4 thru 4/6/14 ~ AKV-Kidani | 6/21-6/22/14 ~ WLV ~ DD and me! | 9/4 thru 9/7/14 ~ 1st Disney Dream cruise!
December 13 thru 14, 2014 ~ AKL ~ aunt/nephew time! | September 4 thru 7, 2015 ~ Disney Dream cruise with the WHOLE family for Mom's 80th birthday!
SolitaryPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Personally, we don't spend a ton of time at our resort, so for us, it's not worth it. However, we're on the DxDP so it came with the plan so we got them. (we use them more now at home than we did at Disney)

The only time we used them was in the morning when I needed my Diet Coke... then we left them in the room and headed to the park. I didn't know (stupid me) that you could fill them up at the pool....or we would have used them more then. But I thought we could only fill them at Gasparilla's, so that was out of the way. Next time, we might use them more if we're around the pool. But I wouldn't buy them if they weren't included in our package... it just all depends on how much you're going to be at your resort.

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
rgf207
DIS Veteran

I put coffee in mine and take it to the parks in the morning.

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
Belle5
DIS Veteran

I think the mugs work exceptionally well for those of us who have cars at the resort (we always rent cars). We drive to the food court for breakfast (buy our pastry or whatever), take our mugs to the car with us and keep in the cup holders of the car all morning while at the park. Then, when we return to our resort for our swim time, we stop and fill up the mug (washing out at the provided sink). We keep the mug in the car again for our return at night and will stop for another drink after our park time...in the winter we do a lot of hot tea, hot coffee and hot chocolate. During the hotter months we do a lot of iced tea and iced coffee.

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
Carriesouthard
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf207
I put coffee in mine and take it to the parks in the morning.
Love this, me too :-)
Carriesouthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

We use our cups for breakfast, pool time, room time and right before bed. The idea of putting a sticky mug in my backpack forbids any other uses.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
snuggly duckling
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsMommy
We use our cups for breakfast, pool time, room time and right before bed. The idea of putting a sticky mug in my backpack forbids any other uses.
If you partake in the oft-recommended practice of packing clothes in gallon-sized zippy bags, you can just stash the dirty mug in a now-empty zippy so it doesn't get the rest of your stuff wet or sticky.
snuggly duckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you take Disney Transportation from your Disney resort to the theme parks, you are not permitted to eat or drink on that transportation.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: